3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Approaching 36,000 Miles - Anything I Should Take It In For??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As the subject implies, my truck is approaching 36,000 miles so I'm about to lose my bumper to bumper warranty. I should stated that this truck has never once set wheel back in the dealership because (knock on wood) nothing has been wrong with it.

I've not had any reflashes done, no TSB's have been addressed, no recalls.....nothing.

Is there anything I should check on or have checked on before I go out of warranty? The only thing I could think of was having the alternator bracket replaced with the cast one, but I've never been able to detect cracks in it so I don't know if they'd replace it or not.

Anything I'm missing??
Old 11-08-2004, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weatherstripping on the front doors? Mine are starting to look worn where the door rubs at 30k. I will take it in for the TSB soon.

Check Ball Joints?

Any noises from the rear end?

Any seat or interior issues?

I have had no issues with my truck...so I probably will ask the same question in another 6k.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:14 PM

At 30k mine got the injectors cleaned (2nd time), rear diff (2nd time w/synthetic from the dealer), and the tarnny service (1st time, whole lotta good that did) and an oil change ( about the 9th one/ free from dealer). Cost for service $501.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:29 PM

Holy smokes I just fainted!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
....hmmm lets see. Never been to the dealer. You want your truck checked over real good. You got it! First thing I would do is scan it and then I would start to quiz you about some of the reading I would find. "hey would you look at this?!", "wow that's odd?", "wonder why this is so different compared to others I see?" I would watch you twitch and stutter and and see your nervous reactions and be laughing to myself CAUSE I KNOW YOUR TRUCK IS BOMBED BABY!!!! (sometimes this job can be really fun )
Old 11-08-2004, 10:48 PM

ball joints.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Geeesh! a reply like that last one I left and I thought the dealer haters would come out guns a blazin! There really is no common prob I can think of for the 03's. Most of the TSB's are for probs you would have noticed with the exception of a couple. If you have a 47re equipped truck the flash would increase your power in od/lockup. I would also get the recalls done asap. Your truck will get a new trans cooler line with a rubber section to dampen vibration, your pcm (jtec powertrain controller) will get some seals for the connectors to keep out moisture, and some 03's will get the drainback valve in the trans line replaced. You may find a list of tsb's online, or if you can find a friendly dealer, you may be able to view them there.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by zzsdad
At 30k mine got the injectors cleaned (2nd time), rear diff (2nd time w/synthetic from the dealer), and the tarnny service (1st time, whole lotta good that did) and an oil change ( about the 9th one/ free from dealer). Cost for service $501.
I'm not talking about regular maintenance (which I do myself for MUCH less than $500). I'm talking about things that would be covered under warranty. To date I've not had a single problem, but I'm just trying to find out if there are any TSB's or anything I should take it in for before my warranty runs out.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by J BODY
....hmmm lets see. Never been to the dealer. You want your truck checked over real good. You got it! First thing I would do is scan it and then I would start to quiz you about some of the reading I would find. "hey would you look at this?!", "wow that's odd?", "wonder why this is so different compared to others I see?" I would watch you twitch and stutter and and see your nervous reactions and be laughing to myself CAUSE I KNOW YOUR TRUCK IS BOMBED BABY!!!! (sometimes this job can be really fun )
What are you talking about? First of all, if I were to take it to a dealer I would not try to hide the fact that I have made certain modifications. Second, I have no intentions of taking it in to a dealer and PAYING them to check everything out. I'm only looking for specific known issues that maybe need to be addressed while my warranty is still good.....like known TSB's or recalls.

Several folks have mentioned ball joints. How would you go about checking the ball joints? Given that they are sealed and you cannot grease them, are they not supposed to last the life of the truck?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by J BODY
Geeesh! a reply like that last one I left and I thought the dealer haters would come out guns a blazin! There really is no common prob I can think of for the 03's. Most of the TSB's are for probs you would have noticed with the exception of a couple. If you have a 47re equipped truck the flash would increase your power in od/lockup. I would also get the recalls done asap. Your truck will get a new trans cooler line with a rubber section to dampen vibration, your pcm (jtec powertrain controller) will get some seals for the connectors to keep out moisture, and some 03's will get the drainback valve in the trans line replaced. You may find a list of tsb's online, or if you can find a friendly dealer, you may be able to view them there.
Regarding the recalls, how would a person know if there was a recall? The ONLY recall I am aware of on my truck is the one related to the cruise control. I received a letter in the mail from Dodge about that one. I have not had it done because my cruise control works just fine and I'd rather leave well enough alone.

The other recalls you mentioned sound like they're related to trucks with auto trannies. I have the 6 shooter.

Is there a good online source that lists out known TSB's and recalls??
Old 11-10-2004, 12:46 PM

For 2003:

TSB's on Flashing Gauges, Door Seals, Tranny Line, Tranny Electrical Connectors, and Alternator Bracket...maybe more. You can search for the link that shows all TSB's for every model year.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:05 PM

Hoss,
Try this VIN Check from Dodge:

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/...m%28%27R%27%29
Old 11-11-2004, 05:37 PM

Alt bracket and the UPDATED powersteering hose.I have TWO friends who swore their trucks were smooth EXCEPT for a electric fan noise at 70 mph(3.73 gears) I convinced them to get the updated hose.Both called me and said WELL CHEZZ WHIZ what a differance.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Approaching 36,000 Miles - Anything I Should Take It In For??

Originally posted by Hoss
Anything I'm missing??
You should take it in and trade for a new truck, Hoss. You know you should. You deserve it - - mama will not care - - trust me.

(HEE HEE, I can see it now. )

DevilishBob
Old 11-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Chapter President

http://dodgeram.info has all the TSBs I'm aware of.

Jamie

Quick Reply: Approaching 36,000 Miles - Anything I Should Take It In For??