3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Aoto Trans Hot Line Temp Probe - Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aoto Trans Hot Line Temp Probe - Help

OK, I'm ready to install the trans temp probe on my 05, 3500, Cummins. I have decided to put it in the hot line to the cooler. I understand this will give the optimal temp readings as this is coming from the TC. True?

Is the front line coming out of driver side of transmission the hot line? I plan on adapting an oversized (3/4') T into the line to prevent restricting fluid flow. Then put the probe into the T side of fitting.

Am I using screwy logic or does this seem a reasonable solution?

Any advise appreciated.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:59 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats what I did. I used a compression T fitting the same size as the line. I like to watch the temp rise and fall at different loads and such. It confirms my original thinking that in the hot line is best.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:00 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

And yes, the front line is out of the trans into the cooler. The rear line is return to the trans from the cooler.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:02 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go to Diesel Manor. they sell the line with the adapter already installed... no fuss, no muss and very quick install. I think it's about $60.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vzdude
Thats what I did. I used a compression T fitting the same size as the line. I like to watch the temp rise and fall at different loads and such. It confirms my original thinking that in the hot line is best.
It drives me crazy watching the temp hit 220 while just idling at the light. I'm thinking sometimes ignorance is bliss...
Old 08-14-2007, 04:13 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Originally Posted by soulezoo
It drives me crazy watching the temp hit 220 while just idling at the light. I'm thinking sometimes ignorance is bliss...
Hmmm..... mine never gets above 185 or so................ maybe 205 when I was pulling my camper, but never 220 at idle setting still.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:33 PM

Is the hot line out of the tranny 3/8" o.d? If so a stainless steel "swagelok female branch tee" would work great if you can find a dealer that supplies them. If there are any companies around that deal with high pressure fittings or semiconductor installs they might have them. The tee has 3/8" compression fittings on each end and a 1/4" female pipe thread branch where you could locate the sender. The swagelok part # is SS-600-3TTF. All you would have to do is cut a small section out of the factory line for the tee. They are easy to install and when installed correctly they will not leak. They are not the cheapest fittings around but I think they are by far the best. We use them daily with some pretty high pressures and I have never seen one fail when installed correctly. I am guessing it will cost you around $30 for one.

David
Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

If you get the replacement line from Diesel Manor you will also have your stocker as a spare in the odd case that it ever did leak.

Mine will also hit 215 after running hard and then sitting in traffic idling in D. I think the tighter TC creates more heat when idling.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Banned

My vote is for the line from diesel manor. Much easier....
I'll see 190-205 sitting in traffic and 150-160 going down the road in 110+* weather.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:10 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Yeah, I am sure my TC is fairly loose! The swageloc dealer that I talked to about the fitting said it wasn't really necessary, and was quite a bit of overkill for the application. They said for the fluid being used and the pressures in the trans cooler that a typical compression fitting was fine. Swagelocs are used in corrosive lines, gas, and acids type things.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by berettaman
Is the hot line out of the tranny 3/8" o.d? If so a stainless steel "swagelok female branch tee" would work great if you can find a dealer that supplies them. If there are any companies around that deal with high pressure fittings or semiconductor installs they might have them. The tee has 3/8" compression fittings on each end and a 1/4" female pipe thread branch where you could locate the sender. The swagelok part # is SS-600-3TTF. All you would have to do is cut a small section out of the factory line for the tee. They are easy to install and when installed correctly they will not leak. They are not the cheapest fittings around but I think they are by far the best. We use them daily with some pretty high pressures and I have never seen one fail when installed correctly. I am guessing it will cost you around $30 for one.

David
You can also order from McMaster-Carr. They carry Yor-lok which is just like the Swagelok but cheaper. The Swagelok was in the $40-$45 when I was looking. I purchased from McMaster and $22. I believe the '05 line is the same as the '06 which is 1/2 inch OD.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dharris
You can also order from McMaster-Carr. They carry Yor-lok which is just like the Swagelok but cheaper. The Swagelok was in the $40-$45 when I was looking. I purchased from McMaster and $22. I believe the '05 line is the same as the '06 which is 1/2 inch OD.
I *think* Diesel Manor uses Swagelok brand fittings on their replacement line. If the fittings are $40-$45 then that makes the $60 price for the new line pretty darn cheap.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:48 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

All of the swageloc dealers I called said the same. They were all stainless though. The diesel manor line appears to be brass. Which is fine, but cheaper.
Originally Posted by jrussell
I *think* Diesel Manor uses Swagelok brand fittings on their replacement line. If the fittings are $40-$45 then that makes the $60 price for the new line pretty darn cheap.
That is a good price, but like I said above, I think it is brass, which is substantially cheaper. I just didn't want to wait for the line, or pay for something I can do myself considering I didn't need a new line at the time.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM

swagelok fittings

Dharris,

You are correct about the Yor-Lok fittings. You can also get a similar fitting made by Parker, Ham-let and Hoke. There are probably others too. The price I quoted earlier was from a place here locally that we do a lot of business with. Its very possible the prices are higher elsewhere.

FYI, if the line size is 1/2" o.d. then here is the swagelok part # if anyone is interested: SS-810-3-4TTF. This is for 1/2 swagelok ends and a 1/4" female threaded branch. SS-810-3-6TTF is for 1/2" swagelok ends and a 3/8" female branch.

Like vzdude said, they are a little overkill but they are some very high quality fittings. Im sure there are other fittings that would work equally as well in this application.

David
Old 08-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vzdude
All of the swageloc dealers I called said the same. They were all stainless though. The diesel manor line appears to be brass. Which is fine, but cheaper.

That is a good price, but like I said above, I think it is brass, which is substantially cheaper. I just didn't want to wait for the line, or pay for something I can do myself considering I didn't need a new line at the time.
The one from Diesel Manor is not brass. It's stainless steel.

Quick Reply: Aoto Trans Hot Line Temp Probe - Help