3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anyone else have belt issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put a tensioner on it.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BlackPuff_Gone
Before I became aware of the OAP issue I changed out several tensioners and belts at 50k miles on several oilfield trucks that play in the mud a lot..I think that my problem is the tensioner pulley was worn prior to the OAP install..as soon as my shop gets vacated by the 32 GN trailer I'm building I am going to take a closer look at it..
PM me a fax number and I'll fax you the print out from Dodge on the OAP that the service dept gave me..
Old 02-05-2008, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you drive your truck in a extremly dusty enviorment, the dust can get inside the tensioner and cause either a complete failure or not allow it to do it's job like it should.
I've seen slow motion video of a diesel belt system at shutdown and the belt and tensioner go thru a lot of abuse as the engine comes to a halt. If the tensioner is not applying enough pressure on the belt at shutdown the belt abuse will be much worse.
Also, on these newer engines with the higher horsepower draw fans it is extremly important to use the correct belt length and material. So, just your average belt from autozone may not work anymore. You should probably be buying them from Mopar or a Cummins dist.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM

Tensioner from Cummins, $76. Tensioner from Advance AP, $127

Belt not available from Cummins. Dayco belt from Advance AP $67 The Dayco belt is heavier than the Mopar belt.

Doing the math, I ordered a tensioner.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 PM

Put tensioner and belt on truck. Still chirps. Next: Overrunning alternator pulley.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 AM

The front 2 ribs on my belt got ate up by my fan yesterday, I had no idea it was this common. How hard is it to replace? It just seems to be in a pretty tight place
Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck just ate another belt with about 6k miles on it.This is the second one.I have never had the chirp at shutdown.Both belts where Mopar.Does anyone have a cummins p/n on the tensioner?The tensioner feels firm but maybe not firm enough.Need to try something or I'll be changing belts at every oil change.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:03 AM

I had the same problem and it turned out to be ps pump. Pulley was inline with everything, but the shaft was slightly bent and could only see it when engine was running.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Our Cummins dealer sells Dayco "gold standard" #5081260. Just got it so can't confirm its the right one since it's still on the bench and this is for an 03.

FWIW, the guys at Cummins commented about this issue when I got the belt and said to check all pulleys (but mostly the tensioner since it wears out as stated in this thread) to ensure the belt is riding with even and straight edge spacings. Hope this helps.

Cya
Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by BlackPuff_Gone
Tensioner from Cummins, $76. Tensioner from Advance AP, $127

Belt not available from Cummins. Dayco belt from Advance AP $67 The Dayco belt is heavier than the Mopar belt.

Doing the math, I ordered a tensioner.
My Cummins dealer told me they didn't carry the belt. They will need your engine number to get the tensioner. It is considerably less expensive from Cummins. Good luck
Old 03-10-2008, 08:18 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by BlackPuff_Gone
My Cummins dealer told me they didn't carry the belt. They will need your engine number to get the tensioner. It is considerably less expensive from Cummins. Good luck
How have you made out on the Over-running alternator Pulley??? I have an apt. set up for mine on Friday to check out the other problem"s" will keep you informed on what they find..
Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Have you installed the over running alternator pulley..it eliminates belt chirp at shut down which causes belt wear and/or shred..Dodge is aware of this problem and chooses not to fix it on a recall (Nice to know customer safety is a concern at Dodge) Link to TSB:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/09-004-06.htm
well thats good to know. i brought this up when i took my truck in for the ABS recall and they just tightened the belts
Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 PM
With age comes the cage

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
well thats good to know. i brought this up when i took my truck in for the ABS recall and they just tightened the belts
Tell me more of this ABS recall....What years does it cover?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 PM

Belt tensioners don't useally cause a belt to be cut into 2 seperate belts. I would look at the belt pulleys for a broke serrated rib between 2 & 3 rib.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Tell me more of this ABS recall....What years does it cover?
Weel i have an 06 and i got something in the mail a few months after i got th truck. something about the ABS locking up and fullspeed causing drivers to loose control of the vehicle. so i took it in and they swaped out the computer.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have belt issues?