3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anybody use different engine oil drain plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fram for $12 at advanced auto
Old 03-08-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by mishkaya
Some have concerns about the plug sticking up into the pan, but there is an option to make sure all the oil drains out. I have this in my archives from a thread on TDR from a few years ago. I am not sure who to attribute it to, but it works great:
I secured the Futomo valve in a vise, then used a center punch to make a starting point about 1/8" from the surface of the gasket for the drill bit (3/16). The gasket and flange seal the plug from leaking. I drilled straight through the valve and out the other side, then repeated again so I have 4 holes, 90 degrees apart. A drill press would have worked great but mine is at a friends house so I just used a cordless drill. The holes are close enough to the gasket and flange, that they don't interfere with the treads for the drain plug because the threads are above the baffle at the bottom of the pan. I filed and deburred the holes, cleaned the valve throughly and installed it.
Hope this helps.
mishkaya
You must have seen what I posted about how I modified my Fumoto (Finger Touch) drain plug.
I did this on my 2nd gen:

because the pan is designed like this:

However, the 3rd gen pans are designed different and you don't need the holes because the pan is threaded on the bottom not above a baffle like the picture above.

If you feel that the threads are too long for the 3rd gens, you can put some holes or slots on the upper threads that go into the pan. I didn't do anything to my 3rd gen, because it was so close.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:38 AM

Big Bob
That's the one I had seen I believe, I always try to give credit to whoever posted the info, but in this case I didn't copy the name as well. Thanks for the heads up!
mishkaya
Old 03-09-2006, 10:12 AM

I've had the fumoto valve on my truck for 3 years now and haven't had any issues with it - one of the best things I've done to the truck.

As far as the threads sticking up to far and not being able to drain all the oil out - I dunno: when I pour in 3 gallons and check the level after an oil change, the fresh oil level it isn't over full so it seems there wasn't much oil (if any) left over after draining.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:16 AM

These alternate oil drain plugs look convenient - I always take a deep breath before pulling the plug on 3 gallons of hot diesel oil.

Is there any real risk of having one of these alternate plugs fail, where you could loose the oil while driving down the road? Or are they really solid, and high confidence that the oil could only drain when you're intending to drain it?

The finger touch plug looks like a nice feature since you wouldn't have to keep track of the tube. But is it possible that the valve could be accidently opened while driving?

I'd appreciate hearing thoughts from those who are using these. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:49 AM

the ez change is solid and has a cap that screws ver the opening to keep the dirt out and it doesnt hang below the crossmember. it sits flush with the recess in the botton of the pan.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by RDM16CTD
These alternate oil drain plugs look convenient - I always take a deep breath before pulling the plug on 3 gallons of hot diesel oil.

Is there any real risk of having one of these alternate plugs fail, where you could loose the oil while driving down the road? Or are they really solid, and high confidence that the oil could only drain when you're intending to drain it?

The finger touch plug looks like a nice feature since you wouldn't have to keep track of the tube. But is it possible that the valve could be accidently opened while driving?

I'd appreciate hearing thoughts from those who are using these. Thanks!
You actually have to push it up and out of a "notch" before you can turn it to drain the oil. It's spring loaded. I don't see any way it can accidently happen. The only thing that could happen is if you hit it just right and hard enough I suppose you could break it off but that could be a problem with the stock one too.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 PM

I've had the EZ on my truck since my first oil change 60,000 kilometers ago and have never had it leak. I too had heard about all of the oil not draining out so I pulled the EZ out during one of the changes and no more oil came out (well maybe a drip or two, but not enough to cover anything).

Ken
Old 03-09-2006, 02:10 PM

EZ change here too. Three years and no problems yet.....
Old 03-09-2006, 10:22 PM

In the 6 years I've been on about 5 or 6 different CTD boards, I have never heard of any failures of either the Futomo (Finger touch) or the EZ.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 AM

Thanks everybody, looks like a Fumoto is in my near future.