3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anybody use different engine oil drain plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody use different engine oil drain plugs

Fellas, I've tried to do some searching, and havent found what I've been looking for. Its about time to do my first oil change on my cummins(since I've had it). I was under there the other week getting accustomed to everything, and noticed the oil drain plug. I dont like the idea/setup of it, and it looks like somebody has already tightened it up too much from when my stepdad used to take it to the dealership. I got looking around on geno's site, and noticed some drain plugs that were different:

http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ectGroup_ID=46

Does anybody have any of these drain plugs? Does anybody have any problems with them leaking?

Thanks all,
Chad
Old 03-07-2006, 02:16 PM

i have the ez change and tube kit.fitting sits even with the top of the pan so it doesn't hang below.really like it and makes draining the oil really easy and no mess.got it at genos garage.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the Fumoto drail valve I have.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:13 PM

I had an EZ change and drain tube on my '97 and have the same setup on my '04. Used the drain tube I got for the '97 just changed fitting in the pan asthe size from '97 to '04 was different. Really like the way it works just have enough room so I put drain pan under truck and the EZ drain tube fits into opening in center of drain pan no splashing or dripping on the floor.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:45 PM

This is the one I just bought http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...D=1011&CATID=1 and it is a Fumoto. They are the best in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 PM

I got the Fumoto too, but I haven't done my first drain with it installed. But, it doesn't leak one bit!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:22 PM

OK, see, I'm worried about it leaking. Thats why I asked y'all. I'll have to check on what I actually want.

Anybody have any problems with the Fumoto turning any while on the truck(the valve itself).
Old 03-07-2006, 10:48 PM

I also have the Fumoto (Finger Touch) on all of my vehicles. Quick, easy, no tube to keep track of, and no mess!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...D=1011&CATID=1

I have this one (same as Staarma, a few threads up). Very nice. No leaks. Allows you to control the flow rate of the oil down to almost a trickle. Without it, the 3 gallons of oil comes out like niagara falls.

They won't leak and you have to make 2 motions with the spring loaded device to make it work. My biggest concern is the possibility of hitting on a rock or something if off-roading in rough terrain, but even that is very unlikely. It doesn't hang down nearly as low as other components on the truck.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:13 AM

I got one from Geno's and it leaks. Not a bad leak but a drop or two per day. They sent me a replacement and I'm waiting till my next oil change to swap it. It's a very stout plug...hopefully the new one won't leak.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have one on the Magnum. Works great. I have a rubber cap plug over the nipple just in case it weeps. I decided not to install one on the truck since the valve will be below the front crossmember and could be sheared off by road debris.

MikeyB
Old 03-08-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like you can't drain all the oil out with the new drain plug in place. The threads are going to stick up into the pan causing an area that can't drain.

Am I missing something?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Looks like you can't drain all the oil out with the new drain plug in place. The threads are going to stick up into the pan causing an area that can't drain.

Am I missing something?
If it was a gasser engine you might be on to something but the cast pan on the Cummins is pretty thick and the threads don't protrude into the cavity. At least I don't think they did. Now I'll have to look next time to make sure.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:53 AM

I got one of these old fashioned ones....

http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ID=767&CATID=1

I'm accident prone, and the Fumoto valve ones just looked like it would be something that (if it was on my truck) would get hit by a well aimed rock or something.... The 'nut' head portion of this plug does hang down a little bit, but I'm not as concerned about that getting hit as I would be the Fumoto type.

The plug in the link above is a lot stouter than the factory one. I don't have any reservations about tightening it up to 40 ft-lbs. It's been on the truck about 20K miles or so now, and has never leaked.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 AM

Some have concerns about the plug sticking up into the pan, but there is an option to make sure all the oil drains out. I have this in my archives from a thread on TDR from a few years ago. I am not sure who to attribute it to, but it works great:
I secured the Futomo valve in a vise, then used a center punch to make a starting point about 1/8" from the surface of the gasket for the drill bit (3/16). The gasket and flange seal the plug from leaking. I drilled straight through the valve and out the other side, then repeated again so I have 4 holes, 90 degrees apart. A drill press would have worked great but mine is at a friends house so I just used a cordless drill. The holes are close enough to the gasket and flange, that they don't interfere with the treads for the drain plug because the threads are above the baffle at the bottom of the pan. I filed and deburred the holes, cleaned the valve throughly and installed it.
Hope this helps.
mishkaya

Quick Reply: Anybody use different engine oil drain plugs