3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anti-Drain-Back Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-Drain-Back Valve?

Purchased a used 05' 2500 the first part of the year. Have never owned a Cummins, prior to this purchase. I only drive approxiamtely 5K annually, on this vehicle. Threfore, I usually end up with an annual 5K oil & filter change. Me just being me, I like things easy (i.e. sevice at 80K, 85K, 90K, etc.). There was approximately 83.5K on the odometer when I purchased. Without knowing when the last time/interval the truck was serviced, I opted to change the engine oil filter & oil immediately after purchase, as a preventive measure. My theory was it "couldn't hurt anthing" & sorta may act as a "flush", in the event it was past service, even though I was going to service it again at 85K.

A grey Mopar filter was installed on the truck, at time of purchase. I removed this & recieved my right-of-passage oil bath (should have read up first). I replaced the filter with a Fram Wearguard PH-3976A & replenished the oil with Rotella 15w-40. I am not an advocate of Fram, but figured it was only going to be on there for 1.5K, at the longest.

This weekend, I reached the 85K mile mark. I purchased a grey Mopar MO-285 oil filter & 3 gallons of Rotella 15w-40. Sinice the initial 'oil bath/shower' I received, I read a post which suggested a 2 liter drink bottle (with the top cut off) would catch the draining oil, from the filter. I tried this and IT WORKED GREAT!! Not a SINGLE DRIP/DROP fell on me, the ground, or any other part of the vehicle. As I carefully maneuvered the old Fram filter past the A/C compressor, I quickly noticed the 'real' reason, there was no mess. The Fram oil filter was only 2/3 of the way filled with engine oil. There was no oil dripping from the threaded area where the filter attaches either.

From recent postings, it appears that most members are fans of Amsoil, Donaldson, or Fleetguard products. However, is it safe to assume the Mopar filter has an anti-drain-back valve, where as the Fram does not? It makes sense, one would want the filter filled to capacity, so the oil pump can do more pumping/circulating, at start up, opposed to just refilling the filter. I'd like coorboration this "anti-drain-back valve" theory is correct & not a preview of another internal engine problem, coming to light.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by JayBird Enero

A grey Mopar filter was installed on the truck, at time of purchase. I removed this & recieved my right-of-passage oil bath (should have read up first).
That is hilarious!

I can't answer your questions exactly...but the gray Mopar filter is a Fleetguard, I believe. Not sure which part #.

While I use Fram oil filters on gas powered vehicles all the time...

Never will I use one on my Cummins.

Any one of the other 3 that you mentioned earlier will be fine to use, though.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
How long after shutting down and opening the drain plug did you pull the filter? I usually let the oil drain while it's warm and give it some time to drain before I pull the filter off, this let's the level in the filter drop some to avoid that mess. Plus the filter is cooler to the touch so I don't end up playing "hot potato" with it.

None of the Fleetguard filters I've used ever had any anti-drainback flap in them, and I don't remember seeing one on the Mopar filters when the truck was new. The only filters I've ever seen them on were used on engines where the filter was not mounted vertically like ours.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
How long after shutting down and opening the drain plug did you pull the filter? I usually let the oil drain while it's warm and give it some time to drain before I pull the filter off, this let's the level in the filter drop some to avoid that mess. Plus the filter is cooler to the touch so I don't end up playing "hot potato" with it.

None of the Fleetguard filters I've used ever had any anti-drainback flap in them, and I don't remember seeing one on the Mopar filters when the truck was new. The only filters I've ever seen them on were used on engines where the filter was not mounted vertically like ours.
It is normal to remove a filter from a cummins ISB or ISC and not spill any oil. The oil is normally below the level in the filter where spilage occurs. I use Baldwin filters BT 7349 on the ISB and BD 7309 on the ISC. Have never had a problem.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM

For both services, the engine began at normal operating temperature, & then was allowed to cool for about an hour. I always let the oil pan drain until it is just dripping, before I re-install the oil drain plug. After the drain plug is re-instaled, I tackle the oil filter removal & replacement. I didn't observe any noticable differences in the two filters (one oragne & one grey), but the box the Mopar filter came in did advertise an "anti-drainback" feature. Additionally, both services were performed on a level driveway, in the same spot.

Maybe the 'bath' just occurs for first time owners!!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
If I change my oil right after a shut down, I will get oil out of the filter. If I've let it sit for a while, I can usually pull the filter with no mess.

I use two wal-mart bags when I take the filter off... crack the filter loose, then put the bags over my hand and push them around the filter and screw it off.

I've never heard of the 2-liter thing, I'll have to try that one.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JayBird Enero

Maybe the 'bath' just occurs for first time owners!!
It's a "baptism". If it was a brand new truck, then it would be considered a celebration shower for breaking the filter loose after the factory gorilla tightened it down.

Originally Posted by madhat
If I change my oil right after a shut down, I will get oil out of the filter. If I've let it sit for a while, I can usually pull the filter with no mess.

I use two wal-mart bags when I take the filter off... crack the filter loose, then put the bags over my hand and push them around the filter and screw it off.

I've never heard of the 2-liter thing, I'll have to try that one.
I used the Wal-Mart bag trick myself. Works well, as long as I make sure the bags don't have holes in them before I start.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I used the Wal-Mart bag trick myself. Works well, as long as I make sure the bags don't have holes in them before I start.
Touche'
Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 PM

Thumbs up Filter Ponderer

I was just on Orielly site doing a shopping list for my truck. I usually use Carquest blue filters which are made by Wix (all CQ filters). Wix, Fram, Delco, Mobil, Motorcraft, Bosch, etc all do not have anti drain back valve. Mopar filter made by Fleetguard/Cummins (same company) does, silicone valve. I have started using only these filters on mine for cold start lubrication. I wouldn't put a Fram filter on my worst enemies vehicle. I have been to industrial and auto motive lubrication schools and almost all manufactures reps agree with that! Like batteries there are only a small number of manufactures. Wix is the best for auto usage. However I think Cummins Fleetguard knows something here and that should ring some bells on this application. CQ red vs blue and Wix vs Wix XP is difference between standard oil and synthetic oil. Standard oil uses cellulose/fiberglass/poly media which might not stand up to synth. but filters better smaller particles. Synth media is capable of higher heat, synth oil compatible and uses materials like silicone but does not clean as well. Wix XP filter at Orielly is actually less $$ than standard filter. As I don't know many that can afford synthetic oil for 12 qt. diesel I use standard Mopar Fleetguard filter manufactured by motor manufacturer! Best Bet???
For 5.9L vin "C" Mopar # MO285, Wix#57620, K&N#HP4003( may have valve?)
Motorcraft#FL896( says it has valve), Royal Purple#40-780(has valve, good filter adds wire screen & steel center core to prevent media collapse with age. May be Fleetguard or Baldwin manuf. prob later)Baldwin is industrial filter manufacturer.
High strength designs usually more $$.