3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Amsoil AMS-oiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil AMS-oiler

I've been thinking about adding an Amsoil Dual Remote system to my 2005. My father's buddy who is a dealer suggested putting a pre-oiler on. What I'm getting from the literature is that when you turn the key to 'on' it squirts 160cc of the good stuff in the system. My thinking is that it would charge the system up to near operating pressure, therefore floating the bearings.

I guess my questions is this: Is this think worth putting on my rig? Also, if I'm waiting for the grid to finish heating will the pressure dissipate and ruin any benefit I was going to get? Another thing - where in the world am I going to stuff this rig under the hood?

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
-Walt_Mink
Old 03-10-2005, 09:10 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

sounds like an automatic version of the oil accumulators that are used on race engines. I look at it like this, the oil will leave a film on everthing it covers. Over time, this film will drain off, but it will still protect from start up if the engine is run every day or so. Most race car engines have tighter than normal tolerances and may get run on weekends only. .
If it helps you sleep at night knowing your cummins is going to get a 160 cc shot of oil before anything moves, then sure, go for it.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:49 AM

i agree with the last comment.i don't think the pre oiler is too get it to operating pressure, but just lube every thing from top to bottom. it will need to give a good shot to get the oil up to the top of the motor, and i think this is what they mean by 160cc shot, or whatever they say.when the truck or any motor for that matter sits for any lenght of time, the oil drains back, and this is the most damaging part, start up, when everything is dry for the first few seconds until the oil pump get the oil up to the top.dirty oil is another good eg.,hench the dual filter system. it's a lot of money to spend, but how long do you want to own your truck, with trouble free years of lots o miles!!!!
i look at it this way, i plan on owning my truck for a long time, and if i were out buying a used truck and it had one of those systems on it, that would be a bonus, and might add a little to re sale value.i just got my truck about 6 weeks ago now, and that will be one of my future add ons.
bottom line is it has to make sense to you
Old 03-11-2005, 11:08 AM

Where can you get the pre-oiler from for these trucks?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The amsoil pre-oiler fits right on top of the bypass filter mount. I'm not sure where it injects the oil - does anyone know? I thought this was to combat the drainback that occurs when folks mount the setups higher than the oil filter adapter. I think at some point it's overkill - probably at the point of switching to synthetic oil - then the bypass setup is overkill, and the preoiler ...well... Let's not forget that people regularly run these things up to 400-500K miles on nothing but dino oil and filters..
Old 03-11-2005, 11:35 AM

Look on amsoil.com, they have it on their site. There are two different versions of it depending on application. As far as where to locate the bypass system, I put mine on the frame (passenger side) under where their feet would be. You get 8' of hose with the kit, and that is enough for this mounting location. Much easier to change filters now.
Doug Weisshahn
Amsoil dealer #508571
Old 03-11-2005, 12:22 PM

My interest in the pre-oiler is that my truck sits idle 5-6 days a week, because it is not economical for my to drive it to work when I have a car that gets double the gas mileage. I make it a point to drive it at least once or twice a week, but there has been times when it sits for 2 weeks too. The other benefit is the shutting off of the truck, to cool the bearings down on the turbo.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to address angleiron's concern and the issue of leaving it for a few days vs oil film degradation etc - I only put about 5k miles on my MB per year for the last few years. It sits sometimes for weeks/months without being started. All I wanted to report is that even with that type of operation/lack thereof - the oil analysis reports on that car are fantastic. Very little to no wear with 5k miles and a year's worth of aging on the oil. I don't really see a need for the amsoiler to be honest.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:43 PM

I guess my main concern is that I work a job where I start and stop my truck 8 to 12 times a day. I want this thing to last me until the end of time, so the cost of the setup will be worth it to ease my mind.

Now, does anyone know a good shop in the Seattle area to install it?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:09 PM

If you start your truck 8-12 times a day (me too) you're fine as far as oil is concerned. It takes a couple of weeks to drain the oil out of the top end enough to call it a dry start. Even then there is an oil film between all it's moving parts. You just don't have oil flow yet. I'd save the bucks for that eventual starter you'll need in a few years.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:57 PM

Good advise from all - thank you very much. I still might ignore it, but then, my mother always told me I was block headed.

Thanks again,
-Walt_Mink
Old 10-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

I guess I'll bring this one back up to the top...

Has anyone installed one of these systems? From my understanding, there is no pump on this system; rather, it simply delivers a little 160 c3 shot of oil, and has to be recharged by the engine's oil pump after it starts...is this correct?

Because of some disturbing wear that I found at only 57k miles, I'm contemplating adding a pre-oiling system. However, I would like to have something that incorporated an electric pump. This way, I could have the electric pump run for 20 seconds or so until oil pressure was verified on the gauge, and then the truck could be started. I would also like to use it on a timer for a post-oiler, to allow oil to be circulated through turbo bearings, etc for a few minutes after shut down.

This may sound like overkill, but I just can't seem to get to the place where I feel compfortable with the longevity of this truck. I've been running Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40 oil, Donaldson Endurance oil filter, OilGaurd bypass filter, and FilterMag magnets on the primary...and still, the Blackstone reports come back indicating high wear with only 8,000 miles on the oil.

When doing a partial tear-down and inspection of the engine last weekend, I saw evidence of above normal wear as well on the rockers and trunnions.

Does anyone know of a true pre-oiling kit that will allow oil to be pumped up to pressure before starting? The 160 c3 shot that the Amsoil Oiler only gives around 10 tablespoons of oil, or about 2/3 of a cup...that doesn't seem real assuring to me.

--Eric
Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by enafzige
I guess I'll bring this one back up to the top...

Has anyone installed one of these systems? From my understanding, there is no pump on this system; rather, it simply delivers a little 160 c3 shot of oil, and has to be recharged by the engine's oil pump after it starts...is this correct?

Because of some disturbing wear that I found at only 57k miles, I'm contemplating adding a pre-oiling system. However, I would like to have something that incorporated an electric pump. This way, I could have the electric pump run for 20 seconds or so until oil pressure was verified on the gauge, and then the truck could be started. I would also like to use it on a timer for a post-oiler, to allow oil to be circulated through turbo bearings, etc for a few minutes after shut down.

This may sound like overkill, but I just can't seem to get to the place where I feel compfortable with the longevity of this truck. I've been running Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40 oil, Donaldson Endurance oil filter, OilGaurd bypass filter, and FilterMag magnets on the primary...and still, the Blackstone reports come back indicating high wear with only 8,000 miles on the oil.

When doing a partial tear-down and inspection of the engine last weekend, I saw evidence of above normal wear as well on the rockers and trunnions.

Does anyone know of a true pre-oiling kit that will allow oil to be pumped up to pressure before starting? The 160 c3 shot that the Amsoil Oiler only gives around 10 tablespoons of oil, or about 2/3 of a cup...that doesn't seem real assuring to me.

--Eric
That isn't sounding too good. With everything you've done one would assume that your engine should be well protected.
Why are you running a 5W-40 (other than that is what Schaeffer is marketing in that class of oil). Also, that is a predominently group III oil with some group IV. (read their MSDS).
Maybe you want to try a different brand of oil? If you do, run it for a few oil changes so that you can get a trend of what that oil is doing.
Hopefully it isn't too late - if you can see visible wear with such low mileage I'm sure that you are concerned.
Again, I think your filtration is good.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 PM

Iron,alum, chromium, lead, ect in oil is generally a indication of load, that is if you have no engine issues. When I pulled a military tank 1/3 way cross country the iron went noticablly higher in EOA. Normal loads brought down after oil change.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned

Why are you running a 5W-40 (other than that is what Schaeffer is marketing in that class of oil). Also, that is a predominently group III oil with some group IV.
Hmmm, interesting. I was under the assumption that the Schaeffer's 9000 was a Group IV, but I've never read the MSDS either.

I'm not completely partial to this oil, but I just thought that it was a good full synthetic oil, and I liked the moly and friction inhibitors in the oil. I'll give it another oil change or two, since I have several gallons left.

Kindof interesting on towing under load...I believe what you said about iron and other wear metals increasing drastically; however, from most of the reading I've done, people indicate hooking up the Cummins and towing heavy is the best thing you can do for it!

--Eric

Quick Reply: Amsoil AMS-oiler