3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

am I just being paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am I just being paranoid?

my flux 1s arent even a year old. I took the puck off when I installed them, and kept the predator on economy. it starts up fine when its cold, it does take a little longer sometimes when it drops into single digits, and negative temps, its running 15w40, but I am about to change that to 5w40.....

my scare was today I noticed it is kicking out short puffs of reeeeaallly LIGHT blue smoke.....it couldnt be the injectors ALREADY right?

is it just normal and I am just being way over anxious?

it wasnt plugged in last night, and it hit -13 where I am at, so maybe that had something to do with it.

man, I hope its just me.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the smoke only look blue in the mirror or do you get out to see the color? I've noticed in my mirror when it gets -5 or colder my exhaust will look to have a light blue color, but by the time I back out of the garage and get out to look at it its does not look blue, so it make me think its caused by the way the light hits the exhaust and me seeing it in the mirror.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:07 PM

DBLR, I was standing outside, my inlaws 98 ram gasser was running right next to mine, and theres was kicking out the standard "its cold" white smoke, and mine was more blue than theirs
Old 12-12-2008, 02:29 PM

Its always possible that being its was cold -13 out that not all of the fuel was burning thus the light blue color to the exhaust smoke. Think positive! Speaking if -13 where are you at as so far our lowest temp here has been -5.5 and that was 2 days ago just before the sun came up.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
Its always possible that being its was cold -13 out that not all of the fuel was burning thus the light blue color to the exhaust smoke. Think positive! Speaking if -13 where are you at as so far our lowest temp here has been -5.5 and that was 2 days ago just before the sun came up.
I'm trying!

we are up in central MN at the inlaws. we rolled in at 4 am and it was -13 on the trucks thermometer.

I am gonna go with the un-burned fuel right now, I like that theory!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:53 PM

I get light blue for a bit when its cold. No big deal. Probably a bit of oil by the rings until it starts to heat up a bit. Only lasts a minuteor so.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:27 AM

I had not thought of oil like Billie stated above so it could be either or both but hope it stops once your back home. Oh being its nice and warm up in the cities I'll be heading up to MSP airport tonight to pick up our kid from Eugene Oregon. Oh sure did like the -7.5 below zero we had today and the -15 below they are calling for tonight in Mason, so that means it may hit -17 to -20 below here at the house.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
I had not thought of oil like Billie stated above so it could be either or both but hope it stops once your back home. Oh being its nice and warm up in the cities I'll be heading up to MSP airport tonight to pick up our kid from Eugene Oregon. Oh sure did like the -7.5 below zero we had today and the -15 below they are calling for tonight in Mason, so that means it may hit -17 to -20 below here at the house.
it clears up after a few minutes, and totally gone once I start driving. so I am gonna assume its oil.

got kinda chilly this morning over here with the wind chill! we were at -1 but -25 with windchill. truck started right up, but still had some smoke. Until it stops working properly, I will assume all is fine. tomorrow its going over to 5w40 though.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:29 PM

I can say the drive to MSP last night was darn COLD. I saw -12 below on the overheard display! Even at the airport it was -5 below inside of the garage parking lot. Also found out it that at those temps even with a Mopar winter front on it takes many miles at 70 MPH to warm up the engine again after a 20 minute stop. I even noticed the temp gauge drop 10 degrees just getting off the free way. I also found out to not keep all 4 flaps closed off on the winter front if you plan on driving 70 MPH go up a hill as it makes the fan fully engage so it was less noisy once its up to operating temp to open the top flap. I now I could of run it all the way home with all the flaps closed as it never hit more then 190 degrees I just hated to hear the fan run so much. Yes changing to 5w40 oil would be a good idea and help at start up being it been so warm out the past week