3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

after market diff cover and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after market diff cover and warranty

i bought a new 2006 2500 cummins diesel and have not posted yet but been reading for a while. i was wondering if i add an after market diff cover with added oil compacity will it void my warranty? wouldnt think so but ive heard some crazy stuff. and has anyone seen or used these covers

http://www.oasisdifferentialcovers.com/dodge.html

Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to DTR. Be sure to fill out your signature in the user cp, top left corner of the page so we know what you have.
Best thing to do is to go talk to your service manager, ask him if it will or not, if not, ask him to put it in your file/writing. If so, make sure that you keep the OEM and swap it out before you take it to the dealer.

Welcom to Dodge Cummins la-la land. Consider your self infected by this awesome site. Let me know if you have any ???, or just post them in the approitate section. They will be answered.

-madhat
Old 11-17-2006, 10:36 PM

Thanks For the info got the sig figured out. any one ask about this yet? i will contact my dealer monday. hopefully my warranty doesn't get voided for calling and asking a question!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Banned

Its a crap shot. Some dealers are cool and some arnt. Ask your service writer first and then get it in writing, or paint it all black.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:13 AM

It is STILL all about a mod causing a failure. I would think that adding additional fluids would increase the lifespan of lubricity and also you are adding a cooling feature, BETTER for the gears, etc. Now if it was some kind of power box - that would be another story. Welcome to the madness.

CD
Old 11-18-2006, 03:29 PM

no it will not void your warranty deeper trans pans are ok to.....
Old 11-18-2006, 07:05 PM

Go to this website

http://www.pacchips.com/htm/warranty.htm

and read up on the Magnuson-Moss Act. The warranty provider has to prove that your change or aftermarket part caused the failure. For example, say you do change your diff cover, then your radio quits working. There is NO WAY the two could be related. The only possible problem MIGHT be if you were to have a rear differential failure. The dealer might possibly be able to escape warranty coverage on that. He could claim you used the wrong type fluid or didn't put fluid in or some such BS.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it leaked and burned up it would be your baby... Other than that I personally wouldn't see a prob with it.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by moterhead
Go to this website

http://www.pacchips.com/htm/warranty.htm

and read up on the Magnuson-Moss Act. The warranty provider has to prove that your change or aftermarket part caused the failure. For example, say you do change your diff cover, then your radio quits working. There is NO WAY the two could be related. The only possible problem MIGHT be if you were to have a rear differential failure. The dealer might possibly be able to escape warranty coverage on that. He could claim you used the wrong type fluid or didn't put fluid in or some such BS.
In theory you are correct, but in the real world it doesn’t always work that way. The dealer/Mfg can deny a warranty claim *****-nilly saying that the aftermarket/modified part A caused the failure of part B. You then have the option of hiring a lawyer for $250/hr and suing.

Meanwhile, the payment on the dead truck in your driveway keeps ticking away and your court date is set for August 2007………. Or, you can pay the $$$ to have the truck fixed and hope that you will prevail on your court case and recover the costs. But remember, the Mfg’s have a six-pack of lawyers and “expert witnesses” on the payroll with nothing else to do.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by packard8
In theory you are correct, but in the real world it doesn’t always work that way. The dealer/Mfg can deny a warranty claim *****-nilly saying that the aftermarket/modified part A caused the failure of part B. You then have the option of hiring a lawyer for $250/hr and suing.

Meanwhile, the payment on the dead truck in your driveway keeps ticking away and your court date is set for August 2007………. Or, you can pay the $$$ to have the truck fixed and hope that you will prevail on your court case and recover the costs. But remember, the Mfg’s have a six-pack of lawyers and “expert witnesses” on the payroll with nothing else to do.
X2.

Some dealers dont even need an excusse to void it. Lets say you go in for a TSB or something not even related and see that you have done certian things and when you come back to get your keys your warranty is voided because they saw certian things, even though they were completely unrelated. Its happened before