3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Advice on 2004.5 lift pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on 2004.5 lift pump replacement

I have a 2004.5 3500 with the old style lift pump (canister style behind the fuel filter). I had called my dealership a few weeks ago and spoke with a diesel tech about getting this swapped out for the in-tank pump and also getting some other issues dealt with that I had seen mentioned in TSB's. He seemed to think it would be no problem, so we set up a service appointment. Unfortunately, my girlfriend wrecked her car, so she had to drive my car and I had to drive the truck and therefore had to cancel the service appointment.

Just this Monday, I went in to the dealer to reschedule, and the service manager immediately got defensive when I said I wanted the pump replaced. He insisted that none of the techs had the authority to agree to swap out the pumps, and that since there wasn't a recall, they would only fix it if the pump failed.

I'm at 65,000 miles right now, and from what i've read on here, there have been people getting the pump replaced for free if they were under 80k.

I'm faced with a dilemma... I want to put on a new Edge Juice with Attitude that i have, but I don't want it on there until after the pump issue is fixed. Should I
A) keep shopping around until I find a dealer that will do it (any specific TSBs or language/references to dodge guidance on the issue would be appreciated so i know where to tell the dealer to look to help convince them to replace it)

B) turn the truck on, unplug the lift pump so it sets an error code and then plug it back in and THEN take it into the dealer so it looks like the pump is failing.

C) don't worry about it. Keep driving it until it fails and then just get a FASS/AIRDOG and take the hit to the wallet.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 PM

With engine running unplug the pump wire.It will set a code.Then the service manager will be happy.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto what Hounddog said. I wasn't worried about it and kept putting it off and putting it off. Fate reared it's head and the pump died the day before I deployed, but God took pity on me and let me limp it home and then to the storage facility. About 64K miles on my clock, so I'd say you're living on borrowed time.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 AM

Two service mangers I know will authorize replacement of external pumps without much fan fare.Surprised the one you delt with was a butt.Just to make the one I delt with happy and tech also I just unplugged it for a few seconds,drove over and said it stalled and restarted.Had a code for voltage issue at external pump etc.Take it on low on fuel also.Tech will appreciate that.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM

I contemplated having the dealership do mine with the in tank . Then I busted out the old plastic money and bought a Raptor from Glacier Diesel. I could not be happier. May not be what you want to hear, but in my opinion it was well worth the money spent...even versus free...
Old 02-19-2009, 04:53 PM

Not me.For what I use and do with my truck letting Chrysler do it on their dime was my choice.I just didn't want to get stranded with the external lift pump failure.I did know of two 03s that went a little over 150k with no issues tho.I just bought a fore-closer and wanting to buy another.I have other places for my money these days and sinking it in my low mileage truck is not one.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
With engine running unplug the pump wire.It will set a code.Then the service manager will be happy.
It's sad, but true that this will work and get them to replace it. Just a little light is all they need!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:07 PM

I am having the same dilema... The problem with me is that I want to do raptor or airdog later down the road. If I have the dealer put the intank pump then I will have to modify the sending unit later down the road to work with the raptor. Where as if I put raptor on right now it will pretty much bolt right up to the stock sending unit.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 PM

I would set the code and get it changed, when my pump went out i was in the middle of nowhere my 8yr old daughter and i sat on the side of the road for 6 hours waiting for a tow
Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM

Ok, if you want to save a few buck you can add a Holley knockoff "procomp" from ebay for 50 bucks. Just take the screen out and add a NAPA3270 filter before the pump. Splice the pump inline. Carry a pump adapter with you 20 bucks from Vulcan. If the cannister pump goes out just put the adapter on, no need for a bypass. You need 12 volts when the key is on or use the stock pump wire for a relay.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:21 AM

My lift pump went out on me on the freeway at 40k....not a good feeling cars buzzing by your stranded truck at 80mph ...i was on the center median to boot....Dodge towed it to the dealer for free and had the warranty work done. I even had my Bully Dog on board as well as my outlook monitor ....no questions or issues about it.....