3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Which Adjustable Trackbar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:35 PM
D45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Adjustable Trackbar?

I am going to be installing a lift kit next month, and I want to buy a good adjustable track bar.......to replace the stock tbar.

Which should I get and why?

----------------------------------------------------------

KORE: $500

http://koreperformance.com/dodge-ram.../track-bar.htm

KORE Race Series Adjustable Track Bars are made from TIG-welded .250 wall 4130 chrome moly tube, making it much stronger than an ordinary OE unit.

Because of KORE's off-road racing experience, they use oversized race quality PTFE-lined stainless-steel spherical bearings that minimize friction, increase cross-lateral independent wheel articulation and dramatically increase steering precision.

Adjustability permits thrust angle tuning for perfect tracking. Again, they are fully-rebuildable and designed to work with KORE suspension systems – or as a replacement for your worn stock track bar.

For 2003-2006 solid axle Rams, to include the new 1500 Mega Cab.

KORE Race Series Track Bars:
- 4130 Chromoly construction
- FK PTFE-lined spherical bearings
- Adjustable
- Owner serviceable
- Replaces stock unit
- Provides increased steering precision
- Permits thrust angle tuning
- Increases cross-lateral independent wheel articulation
- For 2003-2006 models

----------------------------------------------------------------

Carli: $380.00

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do.../trackbar.html

This Carli adjustable pan rod bar is a must for any 03-06 Dodge 2500-3500 4x4 with a lift. The pan rod bar will center the axle side to side and ensure proper suspension geometry. The pan rod bar will also give a tighter feel to the front end by eliminating the O.E.M rubber bushings.

With a 7/8 chromoly bearing on the axle side, and a Delrin style bushing on the frame side, you will feel much tighter and controlled front end. Each bar is constructed of 11/2 .250 wall chromoly to ensure maximum strength. The pan rod bar will also allow you to center the axle after installing the Carli suspension system.
Engineering

The Dodge mounting point on the frame is thin wall steel and uses a 14mm bolt. That is why we do not incorporate bearings on both ends. By not using a bearing on both ends, there is a safety zone for additional give under extreme conditions, which will not egg out your bolt hole, or worse, shear the bolt off entirely.

This adjustable pan rod bar is a must for any 03-08 Dodge 2500-3500 4x4 with a lift. The pan rod bar will center the axle side to side and ensure proper suspension geometry. The pan rod bar will also give a tighter feel to the front end by eliminating the O.E.M rubber bushings.

SPECIFICATIONS
-Contructed from 1.50 x .250 wall Chromoly tube
-CNC bent for perfect fitment
-Tig-Welded in house
-7/8 bearing on the axle side
-Delrin bushin on frame side

Fitment
With the 2003 and up through the 2008, the bolts sizes are different, It is as follows:
-2003 to 2007 utilizes a 14mm bolt on both ends
-2007.5 to 2008 utilizes a 16mm bolt on the frame end and 14mm bolt on the axle end and in some cases its a 16mm bolt on both frame and axle

------------------------------------------------------------

Thuren: $356.90

http://www.thurenfabrication.com/3rdgentrackbar.html

- Fits 2003 - 2009 Dodge Ram solid front axle trucks
- Made from .25" wall DOM steel
- CNC mandrel bent
- Heavy duty 7/8" shank chromoly heim at axle
- DELRIN high performance bushing at frame ( NOW GREASEABLE! )
- Provides much improved steering feel
- Improved suspension feel
- Easy bolt replacement
- Shipped bare steel. Requires painting
- May require MINOR trimming to aftermarket lift frame brackets...

This trackbar makes a HUGE difference in steering, and suspension feel, even if you have a new bone stock truck. Add a lift, bigger tires, or some performance suspension components and it becomes one of the best improvements you can make. Feedback through the wheel becomes almost nonexistent, and overall suspension and steering performance and safety is improved.

IMPORTANT!! MID 2007, SOME TRACKBARS CAME FROM FROM THE FACTORY WITH A 14MM BOLT AT THE FRAME, AND A 16MM BOLT AT THE AXLE. IT IS HIGHLY SUGGESTED TO CHECK THE ACTUAL HOLE IN THE FRAME AS IT HAS BEEN REPORTED DODGE USED THE 14MM BOLT IN A 16MM HOLE ON SOME TRUCKS. PLEASE CONTACT FOR MORE INFO IF NEEDED.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Solid Steel: $340.00

The new Adjustable Track Bar and the new Track Bar Conversion Kit eliminate the troublesome ball joint on the OEM track bar on Dodge 4x4's. Using high quality rubber bushings provides smooth quiet operation, with little or no vibration sent back to the steering wheel or elsewhere on the truck.

The hardness of the rubber bushing eliminates the spongy feeling found in other, softer, rubber bushings, while still providing the right amount of deflection to reduce wear and hammering.

These bushings do not hammer and wear out like steel rod ends, Heim joints, and urethane bushings.

This Adjustable Track Bar is fully adjustable from stock length to 4 inches longer, and it can be adjusted right on the truck to ease the process of centering the axle exactly. Just install the bar and turn the adjusting sleeve till the axle is centered, it's that simple.

The Adjustable Track Bar and Track Bar Conversion Kit will work on trucks with lifts up to 3 inches.

Note: As there are many different models of suspension lifts and methods of lifting the trucks, some lifts provide Track Bar relocation bracketry, some don't, as long as the mounting location of the TBK does not interfere with existing lift brackets, it will work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Any others out there worth mentioning?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:11 PM

Thuren or Defiant($344)....
Old 09-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Thuren for sure. I am sure the other guys are great, but Don is top notch!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D45
I am going to be installing a lift kit next month, and I want to buy a good adjustable track bar.......to replace the stock tbar.

Which should I get and why?

----------------------------------------------------------

.................................................. ....
Any others out there worth mentioning?

If money is an issue, you could just replace your bushings in the stock track bar. There is nothing wrong with the "stock" bar. It is a tuff solid piece of steel.

Lazersmith (XLR8R) sells a kit for $95 with new delrin bushings with one or both sides "offset" depending on how much lift you have (1/16th of an inch per inch of lift). In my case I have a 2'' leveling kit, so I believe the bushing is offset 1/8th of inch, IIRC. http://www.lazarsmith.com/SSSSS.html

Give Mike a call if you have any questions. (214) 686-1550
It won't cost you anything but the phone call and the time to talk to him. He is very knowledgeable about the front ends of these trucks.

If you are set on the TB being adjustable, im sure the ones you mentioned in your first post are all great. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 AM
D45

Thanks for the info.

I am going to get an adjustable bar......most likely a Thuren.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Thuren Fab
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Never owned any but i'd go with Thuren, never heard anything bad about him and when i've emailed him with questions hes extremly fast and knowledgeable. I'm not a KORE fan anymore at all, they are overpriced for what you get, IMO.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:27 AM

Thuren Fab. Don is "the man"
Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 AM
D45

Thuren bar it is!

What are you guys using to paint the bar?

I was thinking of a good base primer layer for rust resistance and then a few coats of POR15?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Lorenz and Carli use Thuren's. Go to the source:Thuren.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by D45
Thuren bar it is!

I was thinking of a good base primer layer for rust resistance and then a few coats of POR15?

I'd use a flat black rustoleum type paint.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by D45
Thuren bar it is!

I had it powder coated with the rest of my suspension parts from Don.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:52 PM

I have used both the KORE (purchased in 2006 along with a KORE Race suspension) and replaced it with Carli's. I had a failure with the KORE - the axle side mount pulled out of its threads while I was on a local highway, made for an interesting ride This failure occurred just north of 30k miles (was installed around 2 or 3k) the exact cause has not been determined and it may not be as I ended up welding the pieces together until I could get a replacement. I ended up replacing it with one of Sage's (excellent service by the way). I have approximately 10k miles on the Carli now with no issues. The major difference in the two seems to be the bushing material used.