3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Additives- This seems obvious

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additives- This seems obvious

With all the talk about adding lubricants to ULSD to replace the lost sulfur it occured to me that the most obvious additive to use would be.....well, SULFUR?

I just did a quick search and found that sulfur is pretty cheap to buy. What I don't know is if powdered sulfur is soluble in diesel fuel? I know it says it isn't in water and only slightly in alcohol.

I was just thinking why this option hasn't been brought up? It may not work for a million reasons, but since I know nothing about chemistry in general I figured someone here might know.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 AM

IIRC Lubricity is lost during the process of removing the sulfur. The sulfur itself isn't a lubricant.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by t-boe
IIRC Lubricity is lost during the process of removing the sulfur. The sulfur itself isn't a lubricant.
That is correct.

MikeyB
Old 09-16-2007, 08:46 PM

x3, Slufer is not the lubricant. The process of removing the sulfer, removes some lubricity. The fuel manufacturers have to add it back to meet specs for diesel fuel, so I do not see the need for enhancing it further. Until someone shows me the insides of a worn out injector that has run good quality ULSD and can prove that this was the only factor, I am not believing there is even an issue.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by NickBeek
x3, Slufer is not the lubricant. The process of removing the sulfer, removes some lubricity. The fuel manufacturers have to add it back to meet specs for diesel fuel, so I do not see the need for enhancing it further. Until someone shows me the insides of a worn out injector that has run good quality ULSD and can prove that this was the only factor, I am not believing there is even an issue.

I'm with you on that. Too many people think if you don't dump this and that in your fuel and don't run bypass filters with all Amsoil fluids then your engine will blow up in 50k miles.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Banned

Read last sentence of my signature!!!

Yah, that's my opinion, I guess we all have one!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 AM

Coolslice-the other thing to remember is that elemental sulfur-the yellow powder that you're thinking of buying-isn't what is pulled from diesel fuel when they crack it to ULSD. What they pull out are sulfur-containing organic compounds, like benzothiophenes (the "thio" means sulfur). Just dumping elemental sulfur back into your tank won't do a thing except maybe gum up your injectors. When elemental sulfur melts, it turns into a brown tar that's really sticky.

Just my 2 cents-

Fitz
Old 09-19-2007, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by NickBeek
That's the question. How do we know that we are getting good high quality ULSD with the proper amount of lubrication? Pull a sample and send it to the lab at every fillup?

MikeyB
Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeyB
That's the question. How do we know that we are getting good high quality ULSD with the proper amount of lubrication? Pull a sample and send it to the lab at every fillup?

MikeyB
Excellent question!! Only time will really tell. On the flip side though, there hasn't been a torrent of complaints about ULSD torching motors. Only a lot of discussion of what ifs..........?! All we know is that the ASTM standard for lubricity for the ULSD is the same as it was for LSD. The loss of sulfer related compounds in ULSD and their effect on diesel engine longevity is yet to be seen.
Cheers
Mike
###
Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM

In the last month or so there's seems to be a rash of '03 injector problems on this forum. ULSD may or may not have contributed to the issue but it does make me think.

MikeyB
Old 09-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
In the last month or so there's seems to be a rash of '03 injector problems on this forum. ULSD may or may not have contributed to the issue but it does make me think.

MikeyB
I've been noticing that aswell but then again you have to stop and think about this for a second. These 03's are rounding the bin on being 5 years old, alot of them have/had some kind of a upgrade to enhance power/fueling in some way shape or form. Im sure running a programmer or two at the same time isn't the best thing in the world for a set of sticks, especially if their "old" and only good for factory specified parameters.

But onto the addative subject. Alot of people use it for their peice of mind, and that's fine. But at the same time it does offer things like a higher Cetane #, lowers the chance of gelling, helps clean the system out, ect. And if it does add lubricity, that's even a better plus. I run a Power Service addative in my truck, I don't realy see a difference in mileage but it gives me that piece of mind so i'll continue to use it as long as I can buy it.