3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Adding an Exhaust Brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Paid $1040 shipped and I installed it myself.
Same here.

If you're looking to get it installed,I'd say you're probably gonna add at least a couple hundred bucks to have it installed.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by SundayMoney
Same here.

If you're looking to get it installed,I'd say you're probably gonna add at least a couple hundred bucks to have it installed.
i could probly do it im just not comfortable cutting and drilling on my brand new truck that i know nothing about
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 AM

With the Pacbrake there is no cutting. You only have to drill three holes, two to mount the air tank and one for the switch. Everything else is bolt on.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
With the Pacbrake there is no cutting. You only have to drill three holes, two to mount the air tank and one for the switch. Everything else is bolt on.
i thought on the site it said you have to cut the exhaust?? maybe that was the jake brake i read that on...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no cutting of the exhaust, the exhaust brake replaces a small curved section right being the turbo. just undo the clamps and it drops out.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Well I guess it’s my turn to jump in guys, thanks for helping me while I had a nap lol.

In response to the question "will an exhaust brake short live the engine". No it won't, Cummins Engine Company supplies us with the maximum backpressure we can safely put into the engine without doing any harm, so we have strict guidelines we have to stay within.

If you can do your own brake job chances are you can install the exhaust brake with no problems, I always suggest to guys to read the installation manual first http://www.pacbrake.com/PDF/L2032.PDF then decide if it’s worth the 3 hours in your drive way or send it to a shop. If you do decide to install it yourself and run into any questions you can call us on our 1-800 tech line

If your going to want to fill larger tires I recommend our larger compressors that are 100% duty cycle We have two new models we released yesterday that work fantastic for larger jobs http://www.pacbrake.com/index.php?pa...ir-accessories
Old 03-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
i thought on the site it said you have to cut the exhaust?? maybe that was the jake brake i read that on...

There is no cutting or welding of anything on the Pacbrake install. Like was mentioned,you replace an exhaust elbow with the Pacbrake and use the same clamps to hold the Pacbrake in place.

On a scale of 1-10,I'd give the install a 3-4. It really is straight-forward.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:23 PM

cool. i guess i'll just give it a shot, if you guys say its not hard then i'll be ok. i'm fairly mechanically inclined, i just have never worked on a diesel so i'm a little stand off at first glance.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:12 PM

i just red through the install guide. i could do that with no problem. i thought there was more to it. thanks for your help guys!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Does the convertor stay locked all the time with the auto tranny or how does the exhaust brake work at slow speeds?????? I know it stays locked until about 70km/hr as of now but if the convertor comes unlocked after that then the brake would not work. I too would like to put one on if they work as good as everyone says. Is the pacbrake the one that dodge offers on the newer trucks????
Old 03-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Menzy,

Here is a snippet of something I wrote up about how the Jacobs EB works on the Dodge for RV.NET..

"As for what it will do. Let's say I am towing my 9500lb TT at about 65MPH... and I want to get off the freeway. I can let off the throttle and the computer will kick in the exhaust brake to apply back pressure and create up to 170HP of braking depending upon engine RPM. Since I have an automatic transmission, the engine computer then works with the transmission to lock up the TQ, apply the brake, disengage the brake, unlock the TQ, downshift, till I am going 20MPH in second gear, never having touched the service brakes..

With the way Dodge has engineered it into the current models, it is also tied into the cruise control. So say I want to hold 60MPH by cruise. If I go up a hill the CC will add more throttle to keep the speed. If I go down a hill the CC will also use the exhaust brake as necessary to hold me at 60MPH."

On the 06 and early 07, Mopar offers the brake from Cummins, lot like the PacBrake, but vacuum operated, not air operated.

The 6.7l motor uses the variable vane turbo to the same function, but on the inlet side of the motor...

Hope this helps.

Bryan
Old 03-08-2008, 02:21 PM

thanks troll3193

I think i understand, basically it stays engaged until 20 mph. Next question is if the vacuum one that the local dodge dealership offers is as good as the air powered pacbrake?????? Is there a benefit to one or the other. I understand the principal behind them, a flapper in the exhaust that is activated by air pressure/vacuum to restrict the exhaust. Basically is there one better than the other in you opinion?????????? Also I assume that the vacuum unit has a master switch to be turned off as well??????
Old 03-08-2008, 04:02 PM

there was guys talking about the vacume one needing to have higher rpms for it to worl to its full capacity. thats one of the sellig point of the PAC is that you dont have to have 2k rpms for it to be working, it will function at like 1200
Old 03-08-2008, 08:36 PM

I haven't seen anything other than advertising that says air pressure vs. vacuum works better. There is not that much piping involved that I can imaging the RPM affects it..

I mainly went with the Mopar brake because I worked it into the deal, the dealer who I get my warranty work through installed it themselves so I don't have to worry about fighting for warranty support..

I have read about guys having premature vacuum pump failures and that the Mopar replacement pump is expensive. I keep the cummins PN on hand, which is much more reasonable in case mine would fail..

If not for the warranty and convenience, I might have gone with the PAC brake, because I would like to have on-board air...

Bryan
Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by troll3193
I haven't seen anything other than advertising that says air pressure vs. vacuum works better. There is not that much piping involved that I can imaging the RPM affects it..

Bryan

right from the PAC website:

"Unlike a typical exhaust brake, which requires high RPMs to work properly, the PRXB delivers constant exhaust pressure (braking) as early as 1200 RPM through to the maximum allowable RPM. "

Quick Reply: Adding an Exhaust Brake