3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Adding an Exhaust Brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding an Exhaust Brake

i have a 06 2500 and was wondering how much goes into adding an exhaust brake. is it something that a mechanically inclined person could do or is it something that should be left to a professional? also with my truck not being offered a exhuast brake how would it be mounted and controlled? would you just have to add a dash swicth or what?

also when the exhaust break is functioning does the exhaust temps jump? should a EGT gague be installed with it to insure your not going crazy on the thing?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Install is pretty easy and straight forward. I did mine and I'm not a good wrench by any means.

The switch is small, EGTs go up slightly when engaged, but the brake only comes on when your foot is off the go pedal so EGTs aren't a concern. You'll run much hotter accelerating.

Pacbrake switch:

Pacbrake compressor:

Old 03-06-2008, 01:17 PM

why is it that you run hotter when accelerating? seems that if the gate isnt closed the temps should be the same? or is this portion of the exhaust not smaller and creat a choke point in the exhaust?

also what brand did you get?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 PM

in case you go with the Mopar model, here is a link to the install guide. I had mine done when I bought it, but it is pretty straight forward..

Hardest part is soldering the wire in by the TPIMM..

http://www.jakebrake.com/support/doc...0E2_Screen.pdf

Can't comment on temps as I do not have an EGT guage.

Bryan
Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM

I had a U.S. Gear exhaust brake installed on my 04 5.9 and loved it. Everything I read recommended placing the brake away from the turbo to avoid overheating. I had a shop install mine and was glad I did.

My 05 doesn't have an exhaust brake and I don't plan to do a lot of heavy hauling in the mountains so I may not have one installed.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
why is it that you run hotter when accelerating? seems that if the gate isnt closed the temps should be the same? or is this portion of the exhaust not smaller and creat a choke point in the exhaust?

also what brand did you get?

I meant hotter when comparing accelerating temps to decelerating temps. I didn't notice a rise in EGTs while accelerating after installing the brake.

I have the Pacbrake PRXB.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I meant hotter when comparing accelerating temps to decelerating temps. I didn't notice a rise in EGTs while accelerating after installing the brake.

I have the Pacbrake PRXB.
thats the one i was looking at too. so you like it? i cant see the picts becasue my work computer blocks imagaes form pretty much anything but www.imageshack.us

does it have that big switch like the mopar jakebrake up on the controls?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:00 PM

thats the one i was looking at too. so you like it? i cant see the picts becasue my work computer blocks imagaes form pretty much anything but www.imageshack.us

does it have that big switch like the mopar jakebrake up on the controls?

I love it! I never turn it off. The switch is much smaller than the Jacobs switch. Do you have an auto or manual tranny?

Try this link to see the pics: Pacbrake
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 PM

I love it! I never turn it off. The switch is much smaller than the Jacobs switch. Do you have an auto or manual tranny?

Try this link to see the pics: Pacbrake
i have an auto. so i guess im a little confused how this one works then becasue the engin brakes ( which i undertsnd is differant ) on the big 7tons we have in the marines you have to flip the swicth and it will break, but how does the exhaust break know when to function? and i cnt see that pict cause its a photobucket pict, its blocked on gov computers
Old 03-06-2008, 02:08 PM

i have an auto. so i guess im a little confused how this one works then becasue the engin brakes ( which i undertsnd is differant ) on the big 7tons we have in the marines you have to flip the swicth and it will break, but how does the exhaust break know when to function? and i cnt see that pict cause its a photobucket pict, its blocked on gov computers

With an auto, the ECM controls the braking. When installing the brake you'll connect it's wire harness to a couple empty pins in the main plugs at the ECM. All you have to do is turn the master switch on or off and the trucks computer will activate and deactivate the brake as needed.

For the switch, any toggle switch will work. I just used the one supplied by Pacbrake. It's small enough to not be an eye-sore but easy to activate.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 PM

With an auto, the ECM controls the braking. When installing the brake you'll connect it's wire harness to a couple empty pins in the main plugs at the ECM. All you have to do is turn the master switch on or off and the trucks computer will activate and deactivate the brake as needed.

For the switch, any toggle switch will work. I just used the one supplied by Pacbrake. It's small enough to not be an eye-sore but easy to activate.
ahh so the computer will determine for you rather then having to manually engage it like an engine brake?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been very happy with my Jacobs (Mopar) brake. I leave it on all of the time. While I'm parked and idling down it keeps the EGT's at 350*. Turn it off and they drop to 310*. I think they all arm by turning the switch on. The brakes activate when the APP senses 0 (your foot off the accellerator pedal) then engages after two seconds. As soon as you touch the acc pedal it deactivates instantly. I have seen the Jacobs switches mounted to the auto shifter. Still works at your fingertips.

Chris
Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 PM

ahh so the computer will determine for you rather then having to manually engage it like an engine brake?

Correct...
Old 03-06-2008, 02:27 PM

kool thnx for your help
Old 03-06-2008, 02:30 PM

oh i guess i should have asked this as well, but is there a down side to running an exhaust brake? does it wear the motor faster being used all the time? i rarely hear of anything that doesnt have some sort of adverse side effects.

Quick Reply: Adding an Exhaust Brake