3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

?? About Diesel fuel I have sitting around

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?? About Diesel fuel I have sitting around

Hello All, I just read a thread about someone who bought a bad batch of diesel, and it did over $9,000 in damage to his truck!!

My future Bro-in-law, got me a 55 gal drum of Diesel about a lil over a year ago. I have used about half with no problem. Since March, I have had a few cars and trailers in my yard, and couldnt get to the drum. Well, I plan on moving things around, and Ill be able to get to it, and was wondering if its worth using now. Its in a blue plastic drum, and the screw off cap had a lil rubber seal around it. A while ago the seal stretched, and broke, so I put a big heavy garbage bag over the drum, but by now that also has weathered and has hole and tears in it.

My question is, Am I risking anything by trying to use whats left in the drum?? Can Diesel naturally collect water by sitting there all this time?? I dont want to risk hurting my Baby, but theres also gotta be around 25-30 gallons of fuel left in it. Can I put a few additives or something in it, or should I just get rid of it and not risk it?

If I have to just get rid of it, what is the best way of doing that? Im not gonna just dump it, I want to do it the proper way.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:46 AM

That fuel is probably contaminated. However, with the 5.9L I'd probably mix in 5 gallons at a time with a nearly full tank until it is gone.

Otherwise, mix it with waste oil and take it to Autozone/Advance Auto for free disposal.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Badd Dogg Guy19

My question is, Am I risking anything by trying to use whats left in the drum?? [b]Can Diesel naturally collect water by sitting there all this time??[b] I dont want to risk hurting my Baby, but theres also gotta be around 25-30 gallons of fuel left in it. Can I put a few additives or something in it, or should I just get rid of it and not risk it?

If I have to just get rid of it, what is the best way of doing that? Im not gonna just dump it, I want to do it the proper way.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
It does. Just being in a container like that, especially since you said you've already used half of it, that's a lot of surface area inside that drum for condensation to form on in summertime day to night temps. You might mix some kind of additive that de-mulsifies the water so your seperator can catch it. Me I wouldn't use it fuel just deteriorates and goes bad over time and the condensation thing. I just wouldn't. Do like that other guy says take it to autozone as waste oil or maybe if you have to burn some brush piles use it to help get things going good...
Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a sample and send it to Blackstone labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html . I think it costs $16, but at least you would know what you have in there. Try to get a sample near the bottom where it would be worst or even shake it up to really mix it before sample. I am just not positive you can ship diesel in a container call and ask @ blackstone. You don't want the FBI comming to your door calling you a bomber .You may even have a local place that could analize your fuel. just an idea.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 AM

Thank for all your reply's. I dont think Im going to risk using it. Yea, It might be a decent amount keft, but its not worth risking hurting my truck. I only have a lil over 15,000 miles on it, and its been great to me, dont want to do anything to change that!!

Now, Ill prob just have to get a lil plastig jug, and take about 3 gal at a time to a local gas station or something to get rid of it. Im in Staten Island, A "City Boy" , I dont think the Autozones around here will take it, I know the gas stations take old oil and stuff, so I'll have to see if they'll take the fuel too.

Thanks again!!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:47 AM

Didn't notice that when I posted. Don't suppose you burn too many brush piles in Staten Island.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
Thank for all your reply's. I dont think Im going to risk using it. Yea, It might be a decent amount keft, but its not worth risking hurting my truck. I only have a lil over 15,000 miles on it, and its been great to me, dont want to do anything to change that!!

Now, Ill prob just have to get a lil plastig jug, and take about 3 gal at a time to a local gas station or something to get rid of it. Im in Staten Island, A "City Boy" , I dont think the Autozones around here will take it, I know the gas stations take old oil and stuff, so I'll have to see if they'll take the fuel too.

Thanks again!!

Post it for free on Craigslist.
If I had an ISB, I'd run anything through it. HPCR you can't