3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AAM Axle differences (GM & Dodge)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichiganAxle
XL8...

Going with a large axle is only an 'upgrade' if its REQUIRED. In other words, if you're heavily modifying the engine/trans and need the larger unit then its a good idea. If its just for the heck of it to say you have a larger axle then its a waste. ...
PARDON¿

That doesn't make sense, an upgrade is an upgrade whether you "require" it or not. Whether or not it's a "waste" is up to the person doing it and doesn't enter into it at all.

Most of the stuff we do to these trucks is not really "required", look at people's signatures, people will go to an AD150 when a 100 is more than enough, people will go to a DD clutch when most time a single is all they need, all those mods are upgrades in my opinion.
Do we all NEED those mods, not likely, but it's what we all do, building something a little stronger than "required" is pretty much normal for anyone tinkering on their diesel.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 AM

Bringing back an old thread...but since I started it, I guess I'm entitled.

The least expensive and easiest route for me at this point is going be the following:

-Upgrade (there, I said it) to a AAM 11.5 from a boneyard. I located one for $750 with 60K on it. I'll clean it up, treat it to some new brakes, etc

-install the new Yukon Grizzly mechanical locker for the 11.5 and be done with it. No wiring, air compressor or other systems needed

-Swap out the 10.5

-sell the 10.5

I'll post back with the results...probably will be a couple weeks.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM

How does the Yukon Grizzly locker work? How bout when towing heavy?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 PM

Im pritty sure its like a detroit and heavy towing will be verry verry hard on it and the axle shafts.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 AM

Maybe I'm not following the bouncing red ball, but I think what MichiganAxle is saying is- if you put a heavier part or piece of equipment on without doing the mods to support that mod, then it's not really making it better or an upgrade. For example, if you have an off road vehicle with taller steel rims. You get more ground clearance, however you get it at the cost of more weight on all the suspension components. In some eyes, it's not really an upgrade if the benefit isn't worth more than the work invested. However, I have been known to tear the entire interior out to hide a few wires or put my truck on jackstands, take off the rims and paint everything underneath just to have that freshly detailed look. It's all in what you want to invest into the end result. Or how long you want to hide from the wife in the garage and drink beer. Whatever.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by critser660
Maybe I'm not following the bouncing red ball, but I think what MichiganAxle is saying is-

.. Or how long you want to hide from the wife in the garage and drink beer. Whatever.

I think it's all about hiding from the wife!

I don't know what he was talking bout, an upgrade is an upgrade whether it's "required" or not in my books, it's just what we all do isn't it?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by critser660
Maybe I'm not following the bouncing red ball, but I think what MichiganAxle is saying is- if you put a heavier part or piece of equipment on without doing the mods to support that mod, then it's not really making it better or an upgrade. For example, if you have an off road vehicle with taller steel rims. You get more ground clearance, however you get it at the cost of more weight on all the suspension components. In some eyes, it's not really an upgrade if the benefit isn't worth more than the work invested. However, I have been known to tear the entire interior out to hide a few wires or put my truck on jackstands, take off the rims and paint everything underneath just to have that freshly detailed look. It's all in what you want to invest into the end result. Or how long you want to hide from the wife in the garage and drink beer. Whatever.

You missed the point.

My truck is an early '03 2500 with an aam 10.5

There are no other drivetrain differences between a truck with a 10.5 rear and one with the 11.5 AAM axle, so there are no other "mods to support it" needed.

This is irrelevant, however as the reason for the swap is to utilize the new Yukon locker now available for the AAM 11.5. The only locker available for the 10.5 is the power wagon e-locker and it has not been confirmed that it works in the diesel application.

Therefore, the most economical and practical solution in my case is to swap over to an 11.5 axle and install the new locker. Yes, a locker is that important to me. Additionally, I don't have a wife to "hide" anything from and all my modifications are done with a purpose and are well researched. Every project I have ever done has always been worth the work invested. I don't have time for useless upgrades.

Glad I could clear this up.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by captntim
You missed the point.

My truck is an early '03 2500 with an aam 10.5

There are no other drivetrain differences between a truck with a 10.5 rear and one with the 11.5 AAM axle, so there are no other "mods to support it" needed.

This is irrelevant, however as the reason for the swap is to utilize the new Yukon locker now available for the AAM 11.5. The only locker available for the 10.5 is the power wagon e-locker and it has not been confirmed that it works in the diesel application.

Therefore, the most economical and practical solution in my case is to swap over to an 11.5 axle and install the new locker. Yes, a locker is that important to me. Additionally, I don't have a wife to "hide" anything from and all my modifications are done with a purpose and are well researched. Every project I have ever done has always been worth the work invested. I don't have time for useless upgrades.

Glad I could clear this up.
Its an upgrade any way you look at it... Also consider there is a reason Dodge no longer offers the 10.5 in any diesel application.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Its an upgrade any way you look at it... Also consider there is a reason Dodge no longer offers the 10.5 in any diesel application.
Very true. I didn't even bother mentioning that point as a few people seemed to have their own ideas about me and what I'm looking to do . I run into the strangest off-topic arguments on these forums sometimes.

Largely good information though, so its always worthwile

I'll just start another thread once I get all the work done. I'm pretty busy with my real job, so it'll take a little while. Like many, I'm curious about the real world operation of the Yukon locker. I'm sure it will be more stress on the axle components, but then again...the 11.5 is pretty tough and my regular towing weights aren't as high as some guys on here.

Thanks for all the input