3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AAM Axle differences (GM & Dodge)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Besides the inverted U-bolts & skinny leaf pack, another visible difference in the Dodge & GM 11.5" AAM is the axle tubes (~4" & 3.5" respectively).
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Curious as well why Dodge AAM's aren't available with the G80 locker. That's one of the better features on the GM trucks, imo.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grit Dog
Curious as well why Dodge AAM's aren't available with the G80 locker. That's one of the better features on the GM trucks, imo.
I have driven multiple rigs with a G80.. Have no interest in owing a truck with one.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge/GM differences

Dont get too excited over the tube O.D. difference. Wall thickness will be changed based on the weight rating and position(s) of welds, etc. Typically the O.D. is a requirement given to a supplier based on the geometry of the attachments (as-in if the u-bolts/plates, etc. are set up for 4" vs. 3.5" and they dont want to change them ($$). The 4" tubes will neck down at the wheel ends.

GM 10.5" is old-style with bolt-in pinion retainer assembly w/ "straddle" cylindrical roller bearing in the carrier. It also has a two-piece diff case with 4 pinion & spider design.

Dodge 10.5" has typical two-bearing pinion and one-piece diff case with two pinions and cross shaft. Much cheaper to make.

As I recall GM and Eaton have a legal agreement on the G80. Its a awesome piece of equipment as long as you arent running big heavy tires/wheels.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies here...

I have yet to hear back from AAM, but I think we've pretty much got the answer anyway. I think I'll just look for a junkyard 11.5 and set it up with that new locker that just became available. I've been looking around and it seems that a used 11.5 is going for $1000 and that new locker is about the same.

More than I want to spend, but it might be the best option

Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:23 PM

FYI: The new locker available is called the "Yukon Grizzly" and is now available for the 11.5.

To answer an earlier question:

I don't want an air locker...too many moving parts and external systems required. I like simplicity and rugged components that just work on their own. I've had detroit lockers in trucks for years...just can't get one for the 11.5
Old 11-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by captntim
FYI: The new locker available is called the "Yukon Grizzly" and is now available for the 11.5.

To answer an earlier question:

I don't want an air locker...too many moving parts and external systems required. I like simplicity and rugged components that just work on their own. I've had detroit lockers in trucks for years...just can't get one for the 11.5
I won't argue the simplicity part....if you don't have any on board air, you would have to add that for the ARB. BUT to argue that an ARB is not as rugged or strong as a Detroit is kind of silly. They are time proven and brutally strong. I have seen more Detroits fail in similar applications than I ever have from ARB's. Don't get me wrong, they are both strong, work well and have their place - I own both lockers. The only things I see go wrong with ARB's are broken plastic air lines which are almost always the result of a bad install. This is a moot point if you had no interest in a manual locker in the first place. The ARB is not a substitute for a Detroit and vice versa.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Not sure why you want to 'upgrade' from a 10.5" to an 11.5"...I'm not 100% positive but the exciter rings at the ring gears may be a different size/number of teeth. I'd have to check on that to be sure.

Easiest thing to do would be to throw in the PowerWagon electric locker (if you can get your hands on one) without using the engagement sensor (PowerWagon uses a different LH case bearing cap with provisions for a target magnet. You cant swap out a cap from a different axle so you have to modify your current cap and probably the target magnet/bracket as well...). You just have to remember that using a locker in stock truck without a locker will mess with the controllers (when the sensor switches "on" on the PowerWagon I believe the ABS and possibly some other things go into a different mode...
Old 11-10-2009, 03:38 PM

I thought I have seen a Dodge in Diesel Power about a year ago or so that had a G80 locker from a GM. I'm not sure what issue, but the truck was maroon.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:12 AM

Well, wouldn't swapping a 10.5" ring gear for an 11.5" gear be an upgrade?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:05 PM

The 11.5" G80 will fit the Dodge. I was speaking of the 10.5" G80 though - the GM and Dodge 10.5" are very different animals.

XL8...

An 11.5" axle in place of a 10.5" axle is not an upgrade in my book if the larger third member is not needed or enhances performance, safety, etc. Why bother with the cost, effort, mass increase (not that mass really matters on one of these trucks?).
Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM

Just wanted to add the Eaton G80's are only good up to approx. 25 mph. Over that speed the governer flips out and wont allow engagement.

There are some older 10.5" GM third members which accommodate 4" tubes. They were used on ambulances and smaller motorhome chassis. I think the overall width of these carriers is narrower than a Dodge 10.5" so may throwing the Dodge tubes in one would not be easy or possible.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ah64id
I have driven multiple rigs with a G80.. Have no interest in owing a truck with one.
Why do you say that? I put almost 100k mi on a DMax with the G80. No problems with it and didn't need 4wd nearly as soon in the mud, snow, off road, etc, as I do with the limited slip.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grit Dog
Why do you say that? I put almost 100k mi on a DMax with the G80. No problems with it and didn't need 4wd nearly as soon in the mud, snow, off road, etc, as I do with the limited slip.
In my experience they are unpredictable at best. They always seem to do nothing when needed, and when not needed they lock up. They are the worst on snow/ice, espically if on a off camber forest service road, the *** end always wants to walk...

I get better traction in my Dodge with the helical LSD than I did with a G80, and thats with at least 50% more torque.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:12 PM

OK, let's keep it simple - do you think the 11.5"AAM used on HD Rams from '04+ is an upgrade from the 10.5"AAM used during '03?

Quick Reply: AAM Axle differences (GM & Dodge)