3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AAM 10.5 Power Wagon Locker....anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008 | 03:05 AM

Well,

Ya, I understand keeping it simple. I figured, for the aircompressor, alot of guys are already running airbags, air horns, and the PacBrake. Seems the would just tap into that airtank to supply pressure for the ARB. You'll have to post back if you choose to go with the e-locker route. Be interested in seeing how it turns out.
Old 11-28-2008 | 06:54 AM

Don't count on ARB. I've e-mailed & called them for 5 years & they keep telling me 6 mounths or early next year.
Old 11-28-2008 | 08:06 AM

IMO. those that say the ansti-spin rear ends are junk, just don't know how to use them. Once you get it to lock, it's locked. BUT if you don't know how to lock it and the tires have a very different amount of traction then you will "one wheel peel". I have used mine many times offroad for pulling things and have no problems.

Here is a post from a thread awhile back regarding the anti-spin.

Originally Posted by RBRam
We finally found a tech that has been trained on these new differentials in the 2004.5 Ram Trucks.
The antispin differential is a "Differential-Trac-Lok"
Operation (from the tech's Manual):
This differential is engaged by two concurment forces. The first being the preload force exerted through Belleville spring washers within the clutch packs. The second is the separating forces generated by the side gears as torque is applied through the ring gear."

To test: Put one wheel on a slick-wet surface and the other on a dry surface. Push the gas, allowing the wheel on the slick surface to spin and than TAP the regular brake pedal once and than you should feel the other tire engage.

Or for shop tests (straight from the tech's manual):
"The differential can be tested without removing the differential case by measuring rotating torque. Make sure brakes are not dragging during this measurement.
1. Place blocks in front and rear of both front wheels.
2. Raise one rear wheel until it is completely off the ground.
3. Engine off, transmission in netural, and parking brake off.
4. Remove wheel and bolt Torque Check Tool 6790 or equivalent tool to studs.
5. use torque wrench on Torque Check Tool to rotate wheel and read rotating torque."

Personally, the first test is much easier.

I also was told (this is what confused everyone) and I tested and found true. The Differential-Trac-Lok will act like an open differential when you just jack it up and turn the wheels - one will go one way the the other will turn the other way.

Now on my sales sticker, in the manual and everywhere else on the truck it does call it an "antispin differential". but on the 2004.5's it is the Differential-Trac-Lok made in USA.

Hope this LONG explaination helps.
Maybe they should put instructions for THIS up on the visor. :-)
Old 11-28-2008 | 05:36 PM

Checkmate: That's an interesting post & really makes sense if you think about it. I could actually get one of those trac-locks for about $600, but for a few more $$, I can have both! I'll let everyone know how it turns out...probably will be a couple of weeks before I get to it.

Great forum...keep up the good work!

Tim
Old 11-28-2008 | 06:16 PM

i have tested the "tap the brakes" idea.. more like stomp the brakes! it gets it done tho.
Name:  KaysLITES222.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  141.2 KB
Old 11-28-2008 | 07:47 PM

I've pulled off to the side of a snow covered road for some pictures with a camper in tow. I pulled out the clutch and just added a bit of parking brake and it came back onto the road without the 4x4 being engaged.
Old 11-28-2008 | 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by NT2HLBLY
i have tested the "tap the brakes" idea.. more like stomp the brakes! it gets it done tho.
WOW, I woulda thought more flex outta the suspension.