3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AAM 10.5 Power Wagon Locker....anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008 | 10:10 AM

AAM 10.5 Power Wagon Locker....anyone done this?

New guy here...

My '03 SO 2500 has the AAM 10.5 rear & I was looking to see if anyone has swapped in the locker from a power wagon? It is available from the following website:

http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...oducts_id=2496

seems like a pretty straight forward installation, & the wiring seems pretty basic as well...I was just curious if anyone has actually done this. Seems like a lot for the money as it comes with a helical limited slip when unlocked & the selectable locker when needed.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 11-27-2008 | 10:15 AM

interesting... haven't heard of anyone doing this but seems like a good idea. I wonder if it is more cost effective to just add a selectable locker to your existing axle? Most but not all come factory with limited slip anyway so all your really getting is the selectable locker. I would research the cost differences. If you don't have factory LS then it obviously may be more worthwhile. Welcome by the way - great site here, lots of info.
Old 11-27-2008 | 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reply...

The issue it that no one really makes a locker for these AAM axles to begin with. The selectable locker for the 10.5 is made by AAM, for their 10.5 & you can also get one for the front 9.25 as well. The 10.5 in my truck is an open diff anyway, so I would be gaining both the limited slip & the locker at the same time for that price.

I am pretty much sold on the idea, but was looking to see if anyone has any insight specific to this installation. Every truck I have ever had came with some sort of traction aid...this open diff stuff is maddening as I spend a lot of time in the woods, snow, slippery boat launches, etc

Thanks, Tim
Old 11-27-2008 | 10:44 AM

Gotta love the "One-Wheel-Wonders"
Old 11-27-2008 | 10:50 AM

Here is a pic of the truck...she's got a few scratches & dents, but this is an actual work truck! Anyway, thanks for the reply...we'll see if anyone else has something to say
Attached Thumbnails AAM 10.5 Power Wagon Locker....anyone done this?-picture-004.jpg   AAM 10.5 Power Wagon Locker....anyone done this?-picture-002.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008 | 12:33 PM

Mine is a one wheeler peeler. I was looking for things I could do to upgrade too, but also don't want to spend 10000000 bucks. I'm a college kid lol
Old 11-27-2008 | 12:46 PM

I've got the factory "anti spin" rearend. It acts just like a locker. I love it.
Attached Thumbnails AAM 10.5 Power Wagon Locker....anyone done this?-oddblackmarks.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008 | 01:17 PM

I've heard that the factory helical gear limited slip is pretty good....there's proof, I guess. I'd have to see it in action on an off camber situation or when there is an extreme difference in traction between the two rear tires. Sure wish my truck had it...I guess I'll order this locker & give it a try. I'm still curious how the wiring is going to work, we'll see. Can't be much more than a two-pole DC switch I would think.

WhozNxtLS1 - There are not very many things you can do with the 11.5' rear (which is what you have) even if you wanted to spend a lot of money. I have done a lot of searching, only to come up with the factory LSD as the only option. You could get the e-locker from a power wagon for the front, though...check out the website I posted earlier

Tim
Old 11-27-2008 | 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by captntim
I'd have to see it in action on an off camber situation or when there is an extreme difference in traction between the two rear tires.

In situations like this,the LS in my '07 SUCKS!

Unless both tires are firmly planted on the ground,one tire just sits and spins.

I can't tell you how many times this past hunting season,I've been in a mild off road situation where I couldn't go anywhere in 2wd.

My '01 GM 2500HD had the G80 locking diff. It was light years ahead of Dodges unit as far as actually working. It locked when it should,and stayed locked as long as you were on the throttle.
Old 11-27-2008 | 02:27 PM

Keep us updated. I would love to have a locker.

Thanks for the info.

Craig
Old 11-27-2008 | 03:11 PM

Yea....that's a typical "limited" slip situation for ya. I'll order this locker & give it a try in my '03. I know it won't apply to most of you, as I think the 10.5 was only in some '03 models, but you can also get this locker for the AAM 9.25 front which is what we all have.

I had an '05 2500HD with the Eaton "Gov-Lock" G80 rear & it worked great. Unfortunately, as far as lockers go, this is a weak design & was prone to catastrophic failure if it locked up under load....especially on the 1/2 ton axles. This designed required some wheel spin differential between the two rear axle shafts before the locker would engage, which inherently puts a great deal of stress on everything at the point of engagement.
Old 11-27-2008 | 03:41 PM

Mine works good as long as there is enough resistance to lock it to begin with. Snow doesn't work, but ya can use the parking brake to lock it in.
Old 11-27-2008 | 07:13 PM

Instead of upgrading the 10.5 AAM, why not swap in a used complete 11.5AAM with Limited Slip.
It's a stronger rear axle assembly in case you ever decide to upgrade your engine.

The 11.5 AAM has been around since 2003 so you should be able to find a good used one with the gear ratio you want.

There were a few 2003 & newer trucks being parted out on the forums.
I saw that on one, the guy was asking US$1100 for the complete rear axle assembly.

Just my thoughts... Joe
Old 11-27-2008 | 08:03 PM

And I thought they made ARB lockers for these axles?
Old 11-28-2008 | 12:47 AM

I had thought about upgrading to the 11.5", but this will inevitably end up costing a lot of money. A used axle will probably need all new brakes, not to mention that shipping something like this would be expensive as well. Even if I found one locally, I still would not have what I want...you can't get any lockers for the 11.5"...no ARB or anything else. According to the ARB website, there will be a locker available in 2009, but we all know how that goes.

Additionally, I'm really not interested in adding any more systems to an already complicated truck. I like things to be simple...adding a compressed air system & all of its associated components seems completely unnecessary when you can achieve the same result with an electric solenoid or just a self contained mechanical system like the Detroit locker.

Thanks for the ideas...I guess the 10.5" rear is just not common enough for anyone to have tried the power wagon e-locker.

Tim

Quick Reply: AAM 10.5 Power Wagon Locker....anyone done this?