3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AA&M axels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:AA&M axels?

[quote author=BIGCUMMINZ link=board=20;threadid=19624;start=15#msg198138 date=1066428023]
IMHO dana axles are crap. They are a cocky company that has no reason to be cocky, yes they are mass produced and have a huge aftermarket but aam is better. look at all the trucks in four wheeler mags thats all you see DANA DANA DANA...and there always trying to make it for 38 inch tires wont tear there little axles apart. i honestly think our aam 925 is much stronger and has beefier components than the dana 60 yes there ring is bigger but look at eveything else. and as for comparing our rear axles....the aam 1150 is the biggest and strongest youll get in a 3/4 - 1 ton truck.
[/quote]

Calm down their buddy

Things aren't made like they use to be. You see the older Dana axles, lets say pre 94 are much better and simpler in design then the new stuff. The earlier Dana 60 front have larger axles shafts for instance and none of the ball joint junk to go out on. I would put the Dana 60 front in my 83 with 40" boggers on it up against the AAM front in my dually any day. Oh ya did I mension it has HUBS for lock outs also :

Like you said ring gear size is not a huge deal as that is generally not the weak link. Axle shafts in the main thing. I have never heard what is in these new AAM's for axle shaft diameters. You can get buy with a smaller diameter if you use better alloys, but generally in the world of axle shafts "bigger is better"
Old 10-18-2003, 12:33 AM

I am not sure if the 1/2 tons are the same as the 3/4 ton but I had a 02 Dodge gasser with 17k on her and fried the rear end coming back from Indy this past August pulling a TT.
It stranded me about 40 miles from home........But I have a 3/4 ton diesel now and I love it. The dealer I went to in Indy said the LS was fried and I tried to baby it home....no luck.
I will say I have been burnt 2 times by Dodge one in 95----which was the Tranny and the 02 rear-end but they were both gassers
I am hoping for better luck with what I have
Old 10-18-2003, 09:36 AM

[quote author=Deuce link=board=20;threadid=19624;start=15#msg198280 date=1066455220]
I am not sure if the 1/2 tons are the same as the 3/4 ton but
[/quote]

That would be the dandy Dodge corp 9-1/4" rear end, a real piece of work :
Old 10-19-2003, 10:07 AM

Call me a dummy, but what is a balance used for in a rear? I know of shims, crush sleeves and back lash to set one up, but never have I heard of using balance. Going by the name of "Balance" I would think if one is used, it's either you use enough balance or it's not right. Can someone clarify why a balance is used?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:46 AM

[quote author=petey link=board=20;threadid=19624;start=15#msg198560 date=1066574915]
they told me that they were of the problem, it seems that AA&M wanted to use a heavier balancer on the rearend, but chrysler wanted a smaller one, [/quote]

Well hate to say it but they are blowin smoke up your you know what.......the balancer has nothing what so ever to do with "gear wine" and will not effect it. Heck the balancer is on the back of the transfercase even. I can see if they are refering to the vibration that some people are getting, but it isn't going to stop gear wine if that is what you have.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:55 AM

[quote author=petey link=board=20;threadid=19624;start=15#msg198560 date=1066574915]
I just bought my 04 HO cummins auto, and noticed the gearwhine right off, it amazes me how ignorant the service department are on this matter. so I went one step further, I call AA&M. suprise' suprise'. talking with the tech person, they told me that they were of the problem, it seems that AA&M wanted to use a heavier balancer on the rearend, but chrysler wanted a smaller one, thus we have unwanted gear whine, ...<snip>[/quote]"We have unwanted gear whine?" I have no gear whine. I think by definition, all gear whine is "unwanted".

I think I'd get back on the horn with another AAM "tech" and state your concern again - a different harmonic balancer will not cure a whining differential.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:21 PM

I am with the others I have no gear whine in my truck. I am not familiar with the balancer thing you are refering to, if you pull your diff cover I don't think it is inside the diff, therfore not affecting your gear whine. Good luck getting problem fixed properly.
Jason
Old 10-26-2003, 03:06 PM

I thought the 2500 and 3500 in the HO were the same rear axles, etc. It was only in the SO that they might be different in Auto vs Manual
Old 10-26-2003, 05:26 PM

The AA axles are fine. In the (real) 4x4 world Dana axles (particulary the Dana 60) is the king of the trail. But the new AA axles appear to have the same beef. They utilize the same size ujoints (the typical weak link in most axle failures) and have nice beefy knuckles, etc. The ring & pinions, axle shafts, etc. are good size, as well. I wouldn't worry about having any problems with your axles...

As for limited slips - Dana, AA, etc... They all suck. If you want both tires to spin, get an ARB air locker, or a Detroit locker. Otherwise enjoy the streetability of your "posi".
Old 10-26-2003, 06:10 PM

This is the only problem I have seen with the AAM axles, Lack of aftermarket parts. There is no Detroit locker or ARB available yet. I have watched the gm sight for signs of axle problems and I think these will become just as good and popular as Dana axles.
Jason
Old 10-26-2003, 06:35 PM

[quote author=pirate4x4.com link=board=20;threadid=19624;start=15#msg201738 date=1067210813]
As for limited slips - Dana, AA, etc... They all suck. If you want both tires to spin, get an ARB air locker, or a Detroit locker. Otherwise enjoy the streetability of your "posi".
[/quote]

I actually enjoy my "posi" or as I like to call it, limited slip. Tows fine, drives great. My locker resides in my trail rig where it belongs. No reason to run a locker in a tow or DD vehicle. Just unnecessary tire wear and funky handling for the wife to deal with.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:03 PM

I have heard of trucks being delivered and the sticker saying it was limited slip...owner had complaints...it was opened up and ...whatdya know..no limited slip...might be worth looking into

Quick Reply: AA&M axels?