3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

600 owners,...your gonna love this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Smoke

Originally posted by HdPower
Mine goes in for the TSB on Monday, my mileage is decent now (about 17 hwy) but what concerns me most is the white smoke on morning start up and the annoying pinging noise....hopefully the flash will take care of that.
I'm just sharing this with you because I had a similar experience. I had the White Smoke in a major way and I also had several injectors bad. I think the pinging noise is the injector. Obviously I could be wrong but my truck has "0" ping now and I ended up over the course of a month,...having 7 New injectors in my truck. The dealer acknowledged there have been injector problems with the 04.5. There injector is different than '03 and '04. So by all means try the TSB but if you still have the ping you need to push for the injectors. It's a real pain in the a...! They need a day or so to check each injector per the STAR requirements so in total I did without my truck more than 2 weeks over that month to get my injectors identified and replaced. Hope you have another vehicle (smile). Good luck.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:46 PM

OT-OF-Here, Thanks for the advice on the injectors but I have already been down that road...took them over 10 days to get the work done. The truck runs better and the injector knock is gone however the white smoke , rough idle and pinging remains. The service writer claims that they are having success with the new flash....let's hope so.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:13 PM

White Smoke

Originally posted by HdPower
OT-OF-Here, Thanks for the advice on the injectors but I have already been down that road...took them over 10 days to get the work done. The truck runs better and the injector knock is gone however the white smoke , rough idle and pinging remains. The service writer claims that they are having success with the new flash....let's hope so.
HD,

Sure hope it works for you. When you do get it cleared up you won't believe the difference,....smooth....clean sounding power.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wexman
Why do so many dealers give people a hard time about this?

If it is a TSB, we should be entitled to it, if we want it.

Any dealers wish to comment?
Not many do. You just hear more complaining than compliments on issues like this. On a side note I've had some issues with a couple of guys that came in over the years with a bad attitude and talked to me like I was there.....well you get the pict. Had a copy of a tsb that they got from TDR and demanded it be done. I ran the bullitin and it was vin specific and didn't apply to thier truck. Of course this immediately makes me the bad guy even if I show them on the MDS that the update doesn't come up when their ecm number is entered.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:51 PM

you too j body . these sights are a great wealth of knowledge . but alot of people dont realize that many tsb's are vin specific. when you tell them that the reply is usually well i got this off such and such web site and they said it was for my truck. then i have to be the bad guy and give them the bad news and get cussed and called just another dumb tech or something like that. what has been your experiance with the new flash for the 600. ? i cant decide weather or not to do mine in the morning when i get to work.
d12
Old 10-11-2004, 05:39 PM

Had mine done and lost about .5 mpg. the o/h looked real good at first on the way home at about 20, but each day after started downward and now for the last couple of days stays at 14 city or freeway, a little less then before flash and sounds the same. My question is, can I tell if it has been done, and can it be done wrong? No sticker under hood.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:47 PM

Had a copy of a tsb that they got from TDR and demanded it be done. I ran the bullitin and it was vin specific and didn't apply to thier truck.
I understand where you're coming from, having worked in different service industries myself.

However, when you come in with your TSB, and it DOES apply to your truck, like some have posted here, and the service manager STILL gives them a hard time, WHY? That's my questions.

By the way, J-Body, you often give clear, insightful answers on this board, and I appreciate your input.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:20 AM

Question TSBs,...how do they work. For example....

I'm confused. If we have someone who works at a dealership who really knows what's happening here,...I'd appreciate the input. Not that someothers might not,...but here goes,....I physically got a hold of the TSB for the 18-037-04. In it it says that other TSBs will be eliminated for input of this TSB.

Well I was at my dealership on Sept 10-22nd to get this White Smoke thing worked on also an obvious miss due to more bad injectors. They replaced the last 3 injectors and then found one of those was bad,...that made 7 new injectors since about mid August. When I picked it up they told me they had installed the latest TSB. Well on my paperwork it said 18-007-04 which came out last Feb. Then I kept hearing that the new TSB was out on the White Smoke and MPGs. My Cummins contact hadn't verified it so I waited till Oct 4, as directed by him and checked again. He said it was out and the TRP for the fix was now DCX's TSB 18-037-04. I was a bit confused since I had seen that thread for a week or so,.....but I scheduled a trip to my dealership for the new TSB. The Service writer pulled up something while I was on the phone and then responded that I could bring it in for the TSB 18-037-04. The next morning I went in and he came to the waiting room in about 10 mins and said they didn't or couldn't load anything else as it showed I had the latest upgrades.

My confusion is that according to Cummins, the release date wasn't till 9/27 which was 5 days after I picked up my truck when it had been in last. How do you get a reflash on something they didn't even have yet? Also the 27th happened to be 3 days after someother member started his thread on TSB 18-037-04 being out. See where I'm at on this?? So the math doesn't work. And as far as the TSB then I seriously doubt I got it. And if I didn't then why not? And if a TSB requires that all previous TSBs be eliminated b-4 they can be reflashed into the computer then what happens to the things that may have been benefited by any previous TSBs that aren't in the discription of the new TSB? Does the new TSB then just overlap anything previous and include what was previous also besides what is being installed? What happens if the two TSBs have a conflict in the way they are approaching a fix on a given item?

Bottom line,...I'm not at all convinced that many of us have gotten the new fix for the MPGs which would explain a lot of things regarding some of these posts.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:17 AM

it's might be that the dealer hasn't done an update on there mds 2 machine
Old 10-13-2004, 06:56 AM

Re: TSBs,...how do they work. For example....

Originally posted by OT-OF-Here

Bottom line,...I'm not at all convinced that many of us have gotten the new fix for the MPGs which would explain a lot of things regarding some of these posts.
You know...I had mine in the shop this past Monday having the TSB done and I too am starting to wonder if it was "actually" done. I still get white smoke and stumbling on startup and after further investigating I noticed that they did not put the pcm flash sticker anywhere. They did however activate the user controlled high idle which works great...but I think maybe when they activated this it over road the other flash or maybe they didn't flash it at all.......hmmm.

Maybe need a return trip to the dealership?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by odie2219
perhaps DC will not pay the dealers inflated hourly rates?I believe DC has a set hourly rate with the dealers! Just a thought
Odie
When I talked to my dealership service department, I was told by both the managment and the occupational that they are paid commision for each job they do. That's how they keep everyone busy. But, I suppose it could be different for each service department too, looks like they might be private owned "businessess".
Old 10-13-2004, 03:38 PM

Paid commission? That is a terrible policy to have at a dealer service department. Do they get commission on warranty work as well? If so, they should WANT to do everything and have DC pay for it. If not, they will be looking for ways to get you to pay for warranty work. Find another dealer.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:16 PM

This particular dealership siad that the techs get paid commision did'nt specify any difference of warranty or not, he never said how the dealership gets paid. From talking, to himI would guess that the dealership gets paid by DC for each job. That would be for warrenty, but probably non warrenty also. After all the dealership would have to give DC a cut of all non warrenty work I would think.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:24 PM

we get paid a commision no matter who is paying dc or the customer. dc gets a cut as you put it on parts alone on customer pay jobs because we buy our parts from dc. cant understand why so many people are having trouble with there dealers not wanting to do this tsb. evryone who gets this tsb done should have the stickes under the hood showing it was done. the tsb or flash is no problem to do . i believe if the customer wants it done no problem dc pays the bill and it makes the customer happy.
tx haug i see you are in ft worth i work for a dealer in ftworth.
d12
Old 10-13-2004, 11:07 PM

only thing i can say bad about it is my overhead is now off. Before she was on but now its a few off. Itll say im getting 20 and im geting like 18 Is htere a fix for that?

Quick Reply: 600 owners,...your gonna love this...