3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

600 owners,...your gonna love this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HighTen: That's a tough call, but were I getting that kind of fuel economy, I don't think I'd have the flash done. Everyone so far has reported an improvement, but that improved number seems to be around 19-20, not 22. If you're getting 22, I would personally just leave it alone.

I'll post what numbers my truck gets after I have the reflash done on Friday.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I to am with High Ten. I dont get near the milage of his but I am twords the top of what most where claiming before the reflash. I get around 15 local and 18-20ish at 60-64mph down the road. What I consider to be local is back and forth to work 8 miles one way all highway. I recently took a short trip to visit family 325 miles round trip and filled up at a local gas station then on the way home refilled at the same pump and got a hand calculated 20.7. That is all at speeds of between60-64 mph. No I dont fill to the neck just till it clicks and then up to the next dollar. Is it worth the risk for me to try and have the reflash done? I dont want it to get any worse but at $2.05/gal more is always better.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:22 PM

I'm still debating whether to have this done. I don't have white smoke (and it was 48 degrees this morning), but my mileage could be better (currently averaging 11.7-12 on mu 11 mile commute). Even with the flash, I wouldn't expect more than 13 or so on this commute.

My engine runs like a top. So, I just don't know......

Besides, I GUARANTEE my dealer would look at me like I had three heads if I asked for the TSB, then would ask where I heard it, then would tell me "Internet information is junk" or some such thing.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:07 PM

I don't know if I'm right here, but it seems like every report after having the flash done seems to be positive. I keep reading better fuel economy and no smoke, if there was any to begin with. Also, the TSB says something like all motors with build dates between December 2003 and August 2004 and not just ones that get really low fuel economy. All this kinda says to me that this flash will benefit any motor. Personally, I'm leaning towards getting the flash done, even though I already have good economy.

P.S. I know my mpg is really good already, but don't forget to look at my signature, I have a 2WD!
Old 10-06-2004, 05:20 PM

HighTen: I have 2WD as well, and my mileage isn't as good as yours by a good margin. Yes, so far everyone has reported gains. If you decide to have the flash done, make sure to let us know what your results are. If you're getting 22 now and then it goes up to 23-24, WOW!
Old 10-06-2004, 05:45 PM

Thumbs up

If you decide to have the flash done, make sure to let us know what your results are.
Roger that! I've almost decided and I'm leaning towards getting the flash. So it looks like I may be the guinea pig for the "already have decent milage" scenario. The only thing stopping me now is being a believer in not taking your truck to the dealer unless you have to!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:24 PM

Why do so many dealers give people a hard time about this?

If it is a TSB, we should be entitled to it, if we want it.

Any dealers wish to comment?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:31 PM

perhaps DC will not pay the dealers inflated hourly rates?I believe DC has a set hourly rate with the dealers! Just a thought
Odie
Old 10-06-2004, 10:16 PM

Had mine flashed today. Just drove up to the service dept around 3:30 pm and asked to have the work done. I had a copy of the TSB and asked them to do it and I would wait. 40 minutes later the keys were handed back to me and off I went. They did it under the warranty and from looking at the invoice, it tracks with the .8 hour that manu will reimburse the dealer.

Hope it improves mileage.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:19 AM

I had the flash done yesterday. My immediate observations were:

1. Much better acceleration from a dead stop.
2. Overhead reading 17+ instead of 13+....(with only 30 miles on current reset).
3. My pinging noise has been almost totally eliminated.

I will post hand calculations when I go enough miles. I am very happy with this flash even if it does not improve my mileage. I honestly had to do a double-take to make sure it was my truck. It is MUCH quieter now.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:40 AM

Mine goes in for the TSB on Monday, my mileage is decent now (about 17 hwy) but what concerns me most is the white smoke on morning start up and the annoying pinging noise....hopefully the flash will take care of that.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:41 AM

Does any one know what, if any HP and Torque gains this flash will gain us? Also is this flash just geeting people better fuel economy on the computer ( I read that it made the computer more accurate), as well as by hand?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:00 AM

I want to print this TSB, where would I find it?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:03 AM

My overhead has shown huge gains, but I'm a bit skepticle that it's actually correct. I do feel like the truck is smoother now. The engine rattle is not as loud, the motor is smoother, and I personally think the tranny shifts smoother now for some reason. My truck used to shift into O/D pretty hard, but now it just drops in. If this TSB doesn't really improve mileage as much as it appears to, I would not let this sway you from getting it at this point.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:11 AM

I want to print this TSB, where would I find it?
I think there's an official website for these TSBs but I don't know where it is. Go to this page http://www.klenger.net/dodge/index.html and under 3rd generation reference click on TSB 18-037-04. This is where I got a copy of it.

Quick Reply: 600 owners,...your gonna love this...