3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

600 owners,...your gonna love this...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Thirsty600
They should have let Cummins handle the programing.......
I still don't think Dodge did the programming. I just can't see that. How would they even get it up and running? They don't know anything about pilot injection, post injection, etc. The Benz diesels don't even use a Mercedes ECU, I believe they use a Bosch, the same one that many other manufacturers use as a matter of fact.

Andy
Old 09-12-2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by realsquash
I still don't think Dodge did the programming. I just can't see that. How would they even get it up and running? They don't know anything about pilot injection, post injection, etc. The Benz diesels don't even use a Mercedes ECU, I believe they use a Bosch, the same one that many other manufacturers use as a matter of fact.

Andy
How do you know what they do and do not know??

Who they have working for them, and so on.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Im almost certain they use Bosch.

We use Bosch on everything @ DDC too.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:58 PM

Still not sure about the noises this thing makes, or doesn't for that matter? Very different than the 2 2nd gen 24 valvers I had. Will keep an eye out for a TSB.

FWIW - there is another thread in this category that discusses the programming of the ECM that may be of interest. Title is something about "Delaer finding EZ". Lots of other info in there, and does speak to the software.

Matt
Old 09-12-2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by gsdog1

FWIW - there is another thread in this category that discusses the programming of the ECM that may be of interest. Title is something about "Delaer finding EZ". Lots of other info in there, and does speak to the software.

Matt
Yeah, that was mine.

Heres a link.... LINK
Old 09-17-2004, 09:04 PM

New REFLASH is IN!!

They did mine today,...but bummer I had yet another bad injector. That's 7 new injectors they put in this thing. STAR only lets them do 3 at a time and one of the last three was bad. They changed it out but they want to wait till Monday and start it up after sitting and be sure there is no white smoke and that it idles properly. Then if that works ok I'll drive her for a couple days and get some hand calculated mileages to report for you guys. They left me a voice mail as I was on a plane, so I couldn't talk to them to get the TSB #,...but it is available.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! I am really interested in the results so make sure not to forget us! (and this thread)
Old 09-18-2004, 06:27 AM

Talking 600 New Reflash

Originally posted by HighTen
Wow! I am really interested in the results so make sure not to forget us! (and this thread)
Not a chance of forgetting. We've all been suffering with this lousy fuel mileage. I will get the TSB Monday,...if they'll give it to me,..and put it on this site. A couple days after I'll do a post on fuel economy. It should be a pretty accurate finding as I drive the same route daily and it's probably a 90% in town and 10% highway. That will of course make it on the low side of mpgs but the significance is that I keep my fuel receipts and mileages so the importance will be in relativity to what I was getting previously. I'm due to take a trip in the next week or so and that will be on the flip side with 90% being on the highway and that will give us all a better indicator for that type of mileage and I don't drive at 55mph either. Generally I put the cruise on 75 and go. IMHO it's more real than the guy who puts it on 55 or 60 and then brags about their fuel economy. Later.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:28 AM

600 Reflash

The TSB for 600 fuel economy and white smoke is TSB 18-007-04. Haven't driven it yet to comment.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:27 AM

The TSB you speak of is from Feb. of this year.. It is for white smoke at start up only, it has no mention of increased MPG.. I had mine reflashed 2 weeks ago and my mpg has increased but I put the TST on the same day of the reflash.. I think DC lies about the mileage thing just to shut people up, because we have heard it all before. It's always a month or 2 away , but deadlines always pass with no new TSB.. I would not hold your breath on this TSB thing, they have had a year to do it, so if it were going to happen it would have been done already IMO. As a whole, I think DC did what people wanted--more power-- and a more quiet engine. I think they figured that most would be ok with lower mpg in exchange for the other 2.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That TSB did nothing for me. I still have the white smoke at start up and poor milage. I had that TSB reflash done back in June. I talked to Cummins tech the other day that said my white smoke at start up is normal and that it is caused by the computer retarding timeing for a few seconds at start up. He said it retards it so far that it cant burn all the fuel. He said the reason for it but I cant remember now. I told him how if it sits for more than a few days it almost dont want to run for a few seconds after I start it. It will only run on a few cylinders and smoke like mad. He said that is normal for the 3rd gen trucks. He said they sometimes need to reset the timeing and that they will retard the timeing so far that it will barely run for a few seconds till it figures out where to set it. They will then smoke like mad for up to a minute till it gets set properly. He said they dont always do it but once in a while is normal. He seemed real knowlagable and seemed to know his stuff. He emediatly picked out my very LOUD tick and agreed it wasent rite. It is going in Wednesday for him to look at. Hopefully he will find something.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:22 PM

Just an observation but if it was just a timing issue wouldn't it have smoked & run rough at start up like that the first day you brought it home?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel Mileage TSB - BAHHH!

More like "smoke and mirrors" to me. I had a feeling this miracle TSB was too good to be true. Makes sense . . . if it was truly a programming issue, there would be a more definite pattern of good/bad builds. My engine was built mid-March 04 so it doesn't fall into the TSB date range. The mileage I get isn't as bad as a few others here report, but it's nowhere close to those who brag about averaging 16-18. That's about as good as I can average on a highway trip (empty). Around town, the best I can do is 13-14, no matter how gentle I am on the go-pedal.

I'm hopeful for some kind of fix, but I doubt it will be a software issue.

Neil
Old 09-21-2004, 06:21 PM

I understand the frustration

Originally posted by NJMurvin
Fuel Mileage TSB - BAHHH!

More like "smoke and mirrors" to me. I had a feeling this miracle TSB was too good to be true. Makes sense . . . if it was truly a programming issue, there would be a more definite pattern of good/bad builds. My engine was built mid-March 04 so it doesn't fall into the TSB date range. The mileage I get isn't as bad as a few others here report, but it's nowhere close to those who brag about averaging 16-18. That's about as good as I can average on a highway trip (empty). Around town, the best I can do is 13-14, no matter how gentle I am on the go-pedal.

I'm hopeful for some kind of fix, but I doubt it will be a software issue.

Neil
As Neil as so eliquently put it,...Blahhh!! Well cheer up big guy,..I was feeling a little more than dupped myself. When I found out the TSB that my dealer had put on my truck was not for Fuel Economy and White Smoke, but rather for White Smoke, Miss, and Stumble and that it had come out much earlier in the year. As briefly as possible here is what happened and stay tuned to the end of this write up for the good news,...yes good news. My dealer had told me originally that it was for MPG and White Smoke. As it turned out it wasn't. I just called the 800 number for Cummins (1-800-Diesels) and talked with Jerry the original rep I spoked to,...he said there is still a TSB coming in October per the Cummins folks who do these Reflashes for DCX. The one my dealer did on my vehicle was not the one he is talking about as it hasn't been released to DCX per my conversation with him TODAY. He said October is the forecasted release of that TSB. Feel free to call and pester him if you must, but that is the straight scoop. Hope this helps in understanding of this issue. Be patient and see what October brings.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:37 PM

YES, maybe there is hope, keep us posted,

Quick Reply: 600 owners,...your gonna love this...