3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE Trans slipping, TC slip @ 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE Trans slipping, TC slip @ 70mph

Ok here is the situation:

My '03 has 133k on it. 90% are highway miles with no load. Just had front Ujoints changed, and tires rotated (was over due and the rears are creating some noise, but not bad). Everything else is original. Just normal service.

About 1-2 weeks ago I started getting a vibration that would start around 65, peak at 70 and be gone by 80 mph. I thought it was probably the drive line u joint (s) going and planned to have them replaced.

Yesterday, on the way to work (75 miles each way) at 70 mph, the trans did what felt like slipping. The RPMs would go up and of course I would back off the pedal. I only noticed it a couple times on the trip, but needed to get to work. After work I checked the trans fluid, it was fine. Clear no burt smell, looked new.

Once I got on the highway, I got it to 70 mph and held. The Rpms jumped but held like the TC slipped or the truck came out of OD.

I drove home at 60 with out a problem, no slips. I did try 65 with cruise control, and the cruise control would cancel after a while.

My mechanic (not a trans guy) called a trans guy and he thinks that the TC is shot. Sound right? The trans guy said the vibration was his biggest clue.

It goes to the trans guy on Monday for a break down. If it is the TC, what should I have him put in it? He is going to check the TC, clutches and VB. I am hoping that I can get away with just the TC and VB and not a whole transmission.

-dan
Old 01-20-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote goes to a billet triple disc from Goerend. You won't believe how your truck drives after that and you'll wonder why you waited so long to do it. Seriously....
Old 01-20-2007, 04:21 PM

How much did you spend on your tranny., I am looking to do the same.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Honestly I don't remember. Probably because somewhere in my brain doesn't want to remember.... It was that much...
Seriously I can't recall. Best bet is to pick one or two builders and get some prices.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:50 PM

Mine has been doing the same thing. Please keep the thread updated with your findings. Also i would like to know about how much a Goerend TC would cost me, anyone? I am pretty deep into this tranny cost wise and dont really want to start over. I have read alot of really good things about the Goerend parts and may give them a try if cost effective over my current p.o.s. manf warranty replacement. I have heard they are around $850.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:22 PM

I guess what bothers me the most is that I don't pull much(friends boat twice, and my dump trailer 2-3 times a year) and I do not have any mods to increase HP.

Although, I was getting 26 mpg when I had to go 60 mph all the way home. Typically I run 75-80 and only get 21 mpg.

-dan
Old 01-20-2007, 08:06 PM

I think the converter was $1200. Not sure though...
Old 01-20-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by NJDiverDan
Ok here is the situation:

My '03 has 133k on it. 90% are highway miles with no load. Just had front Ujoints changed, and tires rotated (was over due and the rears are creating some noise, but not bad). Everything else is original. Just normal service.

About 1-2 weeks ago I started getting a vibration that would start around 65, peak at 70 and be gone by 80 mph. I thought it was probably the drive line u joint (s) going and planned to have them replaced.

Yesterday, on the way to work (75 miles each way) at 70 mph, the trans did what felt like slipping. The RPMs would go up and of course I would back off the pedal. I only noticed it a couple times on the trip, but needed to get to work. After work I checked the trans fluid, it was fine. Clear no burt smell, looked new.

Once I got on the highway, I got it to 70 mph and held. The Rpms jumped but held like the TC slipped or the truck came out of OD.

I drove home at 60 with out a problem, no slips. I did try 65 with cruise control, and the cruise control would cancel after a while.

My mechanic (not a trans guy) called a trans guy and he thinks that the TC is shot. Sound right? The trans guy said the vibration was his biggest clue.

It goes to the trans guy on Monday for a break down. If it is the TC, what should I have him put in it? He is going to check the TC, clutches and VB. I am hoping that I can get away with just the TC and VB and not a whole transmission.

-dan
One can only guess if the tc is bad.A good trans shop will perform proper diagnostic/pressure tests before jumping to any conclusions.I think you should find a local shop that can perform the tests needed,road test the vehicle,and take it from there
Old 01-21-2007, 06:37 PM

I should know more tomorrow afternoon.

-d
Old 01-22-2007, 08:44 AM

I guess what bothers me the most is that I don't pull much(friends boat twice, and my dump trailer 2-3 times a year) and I do not have any mods to increase HP.

Although, I was getting 26 mpg when I had to go 60 mph all the way home. Typically I run 75-80 and only get 21 mpg.

-dan
26 mpg? Thats about what the Honda honda Accord gets! I'm fairly sure that's the new all time record.
Joe
Old 01-22-2007, 09:38 AM

If I set the cruise at 60 all highway I get 26 mpg. I get 21 normally driving 80. Truck has always had excellent milage after the first 10k.

-d
Old 01-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

If I set the cruise at 60 all highway I get 26 mpg. I get 21 normally driving 80. Truck has always had excellent milage after the first 10k.

-d
Let me guess, these are overhead numbers right?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 AM

no, calculated. I have a 75 mile 90% highway commute. I calculate my milage at every fill up. My overhead is off by about 1-2 mpg under actual.

-dan
Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 AM

Did you get the trans checked out yet?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
KKB

Whats going on NJDiverDan, I have a vibration in my truck and I only notice it when the TC is locked up. I was hoping it was a u-joint, but I don't know. Keep us informed on this so I will ahve an idea what is wrong with mine. However my converter isn't slipping, so that makes me hopeful it is just a u-joint.

Quick Reply: 48RE Trans slipping, TC slip @ 70mph