3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE Trans Fluid Change- How to drain all 16 quarts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE Trans Fluid Change- How to drain all 16 quarts?

I'm going to be doing a trans service and was wondering how to drain ALL the fluid in the trans. The factory repair DVD discusses draining, replacing filter, adjust bands, and refilling the 5 or so quarts that come out.

I would like to Fully Drain all the fluid and replace (Dealer called it "Flushing" the trans). I can't find any reference to this in the service DVD.

Also, am I better off replacing the Governor Solenoid at this time while I'm in there? Sometimes it seems to shift at a higher rpm than it should, but then it could just be me as I'm a noob to Diesels. Would I know for sure if this thing wasn't working correctly?

Thanks for any info...
I can't tell you guys how much this forum has helped me with this truck. Got it at 38k, now at 67k, and I've been on here with questions a lot more than I would have liked- front end, trans, seat foam, heater cord, i could go on and on...anyway thank you guys.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 AM

Do a search, you can pull the return line at the tranny and pump out the old while you fill it with new. Very easy and no mess.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks 05HDRAM. Sounds easier than I thought, will do a search.
fatpete
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 05HDRAM
Do a search, you can pull the return line at the tranny and pump out the old while you fill it with new. Very easy and no mess.
this is how I flushed mine....found the return on the underside and had someone fill, another start the truck and I was underneath....it was a little messy but very easy; just watch for the change in color and go a little past that.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 PM

If you slightly unbolt the VB it will allow the converter to drain almost completely. I ended up putting 15-1/2 qts back in so that was pretty much all of it as far as I was concerned.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Take it and have a fluid exchange done. Do not disconnect a cooler line and put it in a bucket. If you run the tranny dry (which you will do) you may damage the tranny. All a fluid exchange is is this. They hook the cooler lines to BG exchange machine. They go out to the machine where ther is a bladder that fills with dirty fluid and pushes new fluid to the tranny via the other cooler line. The trannies pump does all the work.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

They don't recommend doing a flush because it knocks a bunch of crap loose. Also adds to the expense.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Take it and have a fluid exchange done. Do not disconnect a cooler line and put it in a bucket. If you run the tranny dry (which you will do) you may damage the tranny. All a fluid exchange is is this. They hook the cooler lines to BG exchange machine. They go out to the machine where ther is a bladder that fills with dirty fluid and pushes new fluid to the tranny via the other cooler line. The trannies pump does all the work.
You are assuming everyone is completely stupid. If you only pump out about 5 quarts, you are not going to run it dry. Put a 5 gal bucket where you can see it from the drivers seat and throw it back in park if you see the flow slowing. I pumped about 5 qts and never saw a change in flow.

Originally Posted by 06RAM2500
They don't recommend doing a flush because it knocks a bunch of crap loose. Also adds to the expense.
There is a difference between a flush and an exchange. What was described here is an exchange - it uses the tranny pump to move the fluid. How is that different than your pump cycling fluid through the system while you are driving ?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to Lowes and buy a 4 foot section of clear tubing I believe 5/8" diameter. Take the input line loose from the transmission and use a clamp to fasten the hose to the end of the input line. Get a large container such as a 5 gallon bucket and put the line down in the bucket. Fire the engine and put it in neutral. The pump does not work in Park. Let 2 quarts run into the bucket. Shut down engine or put in Park. Put two quarts of new fluid back in through the dipstick tube as normal. Fire the engine or put it back in neutral. Let two more quarts flow out and repeat this process until you see clear fluid coming through the clear tubing. A good idea is to measure the bucket and see what two quarts looks like, draw a line or something. I used a one gallon milk jug as my container because two quarts is easy to determine.

I would think it is not good to let the transmission pump itself dry so two quarts at a time is not going to hurt anything. It will take about 18 quarts to do this but be very cautious you do not overfill the transmission. Measure with your dip stick after you start seeing clear fluid in the tube and get the fluid to the add mark. Shut down everything, take your hose off and reinstall line to transmission. Clean up your mess and take a drive. Let it get warmed up good. Then re-check the fluid level. It expands when hot. Don't overfill!

I did a pan drop and filter change before I started this proceedure and it took 5 quarts to bring it back up to normal. I took my input line loose and begin this proceedure. No dirty fluid got back into the pan. You can actually see a difference in fluid color when all the old stuff is gone!!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05HDRAM
You are assuming everyone is completely stupid. If you only pump out about 5 quarts, you are not going to run it dry. Put a 5 gal bucket where you can see it from the drivers seat and throw it back in park if you see the flow slowing. I pumped about 5 qts and never saw a change in flow.

Because I have done it with a bucket before. You will make a mistake.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Because I have done it with a bucket before. You will make a mistake.
I used a bucket and did not make a mistake. The flow is steady coming out the return, but it is easily controlled by moving the trans from neutral back to park. Sorry you had issues, but I found it was the most clean and easy tranny fluid change I have ever done.

When I dropped the pan, I used a plastic trash can lid sitting upside down on the 5 gal bucket to catch the fluid (this was after pumping out about 5 qts). The one I used had a plastic button on the top of the lid that I popped out, so the drain point was at the lowest part of the lid. I don't think one drop of fluid got on my garage floor.