3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE: band at end of adjustment = rivets chew up drum

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Uh huh, but that in itself is a conundrum.

Unless you adjust them, you don't know they need adjusted. Failing to adjust for wear will eat the OE band as fast as not adjusting correctly.

Best idea is throw the OE away at the first chance and get a good rigid in there.

Any power enhancements and they really don't last well.
In 30 years of owning Dodge cars and trucks I have never had the bands adjusted at every service and to date have never had to rebuild any auto transmission do to the bands not being adjusted. In fact the only trans problem I have had in the last 30 years is on my current truck that had the valve body fail.

In fact I have been told by several trans builder to never adjust the bands at every service and had one say that if you buy a new vehicle it may be a good idea to have the bands adjusted at the first service to be sure the factory did it properly after that its not needed unless it starts to slip or you go over 100K.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:52 PM

Never adjust the bands is like saying never adjust the valves--overhead-- or change the fuel filter, maybe not even change the tires until they blow out. It could go a little further if you wait!!!!

The question is not about changing the bands, it is about making sure it is in its proper design range.

Give it up guys.
If YOU don't want to take care of your vehicle, I'm fine with it, but don't mislead others!!!
Now, I'm not saying the bands need adjusted EVERY service interval, but every other is a good time to CHECK things!!
I have 135,000 on my rebuilt trans and the front band is getting thin. Should go another 100,000.
I just rebuilt a HARD driven 06 48re. The front clutch was gone the front band was almost out of range. It must of had close to 1 inch of servo travel!!! It was about to drop the strut! It has about 80,000 miles on it. Band was still looking ok, but, of course, it was replaced.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DBLR
had one say that if you buy a new vehicle it may be a good idea to have the bands adjusted at the first service to be sure the factory did it properly after that its not needed unless it starts to slip or you go over 100K.
So check the bands from factory to make sure they are adjusted properly, but don't ever adjust them again to keep them in spec? Can't understand your logic. If it starts to slip it is too late.

Can someone tell me how not keeping a band in proper adjustment is bad? Other than your tranny guy said so?

It was adjusted that way from factory, your just keeping it that way. I don't see any difference as adjusting valves (as mentioned above).
Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by j-fox
Never adjust the bands is like saying never adjust the valves--overhead-- or change the fuel filter, maybe not even change the tires until they blow out. It could go a little further if you wait!!!!

The question is not about changing the bands, it is about making sure it is in its proper design range.

Give it up guys.
If YOU don't want to take care of your vehicle, I'm fine with it, but don't mislead others!!!
Now, I'm not saying the bands need adjusted EVERY service interval, but every other is a good time to CHECK things!!
I have 135,000 on my rebuilt trans and the front band is getting thin. Should go another 100,000.
I just rebuilt a HARD driven 06 48re. The front clutch was gone the front band was almost out of range. It must of had close to 1 inch of servo travel!!! It was about to drop the strut! It has about 80,000 miles on it. Band was still looking ok, but, of course, it was replaced.
Good post. Can anyone explain how failing to adjust your bands prevents them from wearing? Apparently if they wear until they don't touch the drum anymore, they can't wear any further.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM

If you all want to spend the extra $$ to have your bands adjusted (yes you do pay for the time to have them adjusted if your not doing it your self) at every service go for it, like I said in 30 years of owning Dodge auto transmissions I have never had a trans fail do to me not having the bands adjusted.

Robert373:

The idea of having the bands adjustment check at first service was something that has been brought up by a few who claim theirs were not set properly at the factory thus some think they should be checked at first service so I to put that in to my post as an alternative to for some who think its necessary.

BTW only one time have I have a Dodge auto trans not shift properly aka it was slipping and after the adjustment the shift problem was gone and I never had any trans problems for as long as I owned the vehicle. As it has been explained to me many times by several trans rebuilders you only have X amount of band adjustment and once you use it up its repair time. Also they have told me and I've also read it on another Dodge forum from that sites trans person that band adjustment is not necessary at every service only when needed.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with you on this one. I would go and adjust the band every service interval. If it is wearing enough that you need to do this something is wrong. I'm about to rebuild my trans. My band is pretty much gone. No adjustment left on it. But to me if your going to have the trans out and tore down why not rebuild it. I wouldn't trust grinding on the band strut to slid it in.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by akrammit
My band is pretty much gone. No adjustment left on it. But to me if your going to have the trans out and tore down why not rebuild it. I wouldn't trust grinding on the band strut to slid it in.
dropping the valve body & the band is a few hundred dollars,

dropping the tranny & a rebuild is $3500 (cheapest I have ever heard of, but someone PM'ed me that price)

and you only grind a bit off the tab that holds it, not off the working area.

i would much rather pay $200 now, than pay $3500 every time.

how long do we REALLY expect a CTD tranny to last anyways, aren't the 48RE's the Achilles heel of our trucks? (other than the HVAC system, crappy dodge seats, and the ball joints?)

i quit towing fast & heavy (sold the drag car & enclosed trailer).
so I am hoping this band job will make the tranny last me a year or two before I have to rebuild.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
dropping the valve body & the band is a few hundred dollars,

dropping the tranny & a rebuild is $3500 (cheapest I have ever heard of, but someone PM'ed me that price)

and you only grind a bit off the tab that holds it, not off the working area.

i would much rather pay $200 now, than pay $3500 every time.

how long do we REALLY expect a CTD tranny to last anyways, aren't the 48RE's the Achilles heel of our trucks? (other than the HVAC system, crappy dodge seats, and the ball joints?)

i quit towing fast & heavy (sold the drag car & enclosed trailer).
so I am hoping this band job will make the tranny last me a year or two before I have to rebuild.
I've seen hot shot owners post that they have gotten over 400K out of a RE48 with just normal service of installing a new filter and top off the fluid. BTW you can buy a completely rebuild trans and torque convert from Goerend for $3550.00.