3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE Bad Rap

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:37 PM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE Bad Rap

I hear alot of rumors about these tranny's not being durable. I have had no problems with mine and I have 7 friends who own 03, to 05's with no tranny problems. what gives?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 PM

mine does ok but with my edge juice w/ attitude it slips a bit in overdrive with the torque verter locked i have 103k miles
Old 01-15-2007, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock they do OK.

But once you start bombing the truck you lose reliability...... (unless you bomb your trans too)
what mods do your 7 friends have on their truck's??
Old 01-15-2007, 01:51 AM

the 48re will handle about 340 rwhp. And that is only if you arent towing, anymore, or towing, all bets are off.

Kevin
Old 01-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Banned

stock its ok...just like what everyone else is saying, mods kill!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:12 AM

Tranny first. Engine second. If not you'll be stranded on the side of the road.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Banned

I think that the ONLY thing giving 48RE a bad rep is the Allison...and somewhat as a result the Chevy guys and anybody else that wants to jump on that bandwagon of "Their sucks, mine rocks". Everybody knows that Allison is ran in big rigs and heavy duty trucks all over the place and since that is the case, the 48RE "must suck". I think that they are a fine and dandy tranny, until as already stated, you start modding the truck out of it's specs, THEN you can expect problems. But do you think that if you went and threw 550hp on a stock Allison in a GMC/Chevy that it wouldn't fail as well? It's a good tranny in my book (other than the way it shifts which can be adjusted)

Derek
Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 AM

Location: Well I thought I lived in America, but its looking more like france every day.
Originally Posted by 53 ******
Stock they do OK.

But once you start bombing the truck you lose reliability...... (unless you bomb your trans too)
what mods do your 7 friends have on their truck's??
My friends trucks are all stock, so that must be the reason for no problems. Mine is staying stock for awhile. I have plenty of power for what I need. Althogh it does appear that "bombing" could be very fun and possibly addicting
Old 01-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEARHUNTER
My friends trucks are all stock, so that must be the reason for no problems. Mine is staying stock for awhile. I have plenty of power for what I need. Althogh it does appear that "bombing" could be very fun and possibly addicting
You said it right! Only a couple of things holding me back...money and most of all my wife She gets ill every time I talk about my next mod with one of my buddies on the phone Oh well, she's got her weaknesses, such as $140 hair cuts and Victorias Secret...and I've got mine...I can't help that mine costs more than hers!

Derek
Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 AM

My truck is stock & used for work towing. I had to rebuild it @ 200K. Tranny maint. by the book. I wish I could've had the bucks to do it right but of course it broke down at the worst time money-wise for me. Had my Dodge dealer do it. Stock rebuild. The thing I didn't like, I was told that no matter how good you take care of it, driving & maint. it will eventually fail due to design of some "o" rings. They eventually dry, get hard & leak.
Hind-sight & not knowing this, a tranny rebuild should have been calculated into my annual maint. costs and I would've saved up to do it right - bigger TC & VB. I did this to my '99 and loved the way that truck ran after the tranny rebuild.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by derek.mckay
I think that the ONLY thing giving 48RE a bad rep is the Allison...and somewhat as a result the Chevy guys and anybody else that wants to jump on that bandwagon of "Their sucks, mine rocks". Everybody knows that Allison is ran in big rigs and heavy duty trucks all over the place and since that is the case, the 48RE "must suck". I think that they are a fine and dandy tranny, until as already stated, you start modding the truck out of it's specs, THEN you can expect problems. But do you think that if you went and threw 550hp on a stock Allison in a GMC/Chevy that it wouldn't fail as well? It's a good tranny in my book (other than the way it shifts which can be adjusted)

Derek
I think you are right on. It's the same reason most of us bought the Cummins right? Real big rigs run inline diesel motors. The same reason that if CAT puts a diesel in a 3/4 or 1 ton pick up, we're all going to switch to that model. Brand/name recognition.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 PM

How much additional torque can a 48RE handle unloaded?

Originally Posted by morkable
the 48re will handle about 340 rwhp. And that is only if you arent towing, anymore, or towing, all bets are off.

Kevin
How much torque can a stock 48RE handle? Is that 340hp at the rear wheels? Could I run a powerpuck on level 2 (+90hp/+180tq) unloaded without fear of damage?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by surfram
How much torque can a stock 48RE handle? Is that 340hp at the rear wheels? Could I run a powerpuck on level 2 (+90hp/+180tq) unloaded without fear of damage?
Should be able to...your truck (if it is a 305/555) will probably dyno about 250-260hp stock, where as the 325/610s dyno about 275hp...If the 48RE can handle 340hp to the wheels stock, then you would be RIGHT where you need to be and still keep your tranny reliable it seems like to me, correct fellas?

Derek
Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 PM

I don't know where this 340hp thing came from? Someone just pull that one outta the air?
Truth is your stock trans might last a very long time even if you add 100hp/200trq... OR it might last a short time with no power mods whatsoever. Nobody knows for sure. You play, you pay. You can pay now and consider it good insurance and get your trans built, billet converter and flexplate, the whole nine yards. Or you can pay later after you start slipping clutches. Also, there is a night and day difference comparing the stock converter/trans setup with a good aftermarket one. Going from stock to a Goerend trans felt like I added 50hp/100trq. It's about efficiency and getting the power to the ground instead of letting is slip away in your trans.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:15 PM

How much does it cost to do a decent tranny upgrade? My tranny does seem a bit sluggish. I hear the new 6 speed auto deals with the cummins power pretty well.

Quick Reply: 48RE Bad Rap