3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47RE Recall and Now Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47RE Recall and Now Loss of power

Hi all,
I have a problem and I was wonder if anyone has heard or read about it. Since the recall and flash's to my PCM for the shift into overdrive problem; my truck seams to have loss a conciderable amount of power and torqe.
I used to have to watch how I took off at stop lights or I would spin my tires, Now I can only spin my tires in I'm in a mud puddle. I also used to be able to tow my boat @ 75-85 MPH. now I can't get to 65 on a slight incline. My Service rep. states that DC has not had any complaints on this and I was not supposed to loss any power.
I would rather put up with the shift problem than the loss of power. I have asked for a new PCM; but they refused, stating that DC will not approve it either.

What can I do? I need som ammo to take to the dealer and DC to fight this.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

BTW: I have an `03 SO quad cab, 2500,

If you need any other stats or information, just ask.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:45 PM

Check the engine codes and/or have your lift pump checked. They seem to be a weak point. Just a idea not a cure.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:32 AM

Which Recall Udate did you get? I too have the 47RE and after the Flash the only thing I noticed was that my shift points were different and it stop hunting. I have no problem towing my 5vr at highway speed.
Let me know what you find out.
You may want to check your Air filter and Fuel filter also. You may be starving the engine in both cases
Old 04-11-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On your 03 you still have a separate JTEC controller for the drivetrain, and an ECM on the engine for the Cummins engine systems. Flashing the JTEC will not affect the engine parameters. The modules have to be flashed separately if doing both. I've driven alot of these trucks and really haven't experienced the "tire roasting" prob you said you had previous to the update . What updates were performed? Did they just update the jtec? or did they do the ecm for some reason too. I've updated a few and haven't heard of any probs afterwords either. How much does your boat weigh?
Old 04-11-2004, 07:12 PM

Hi all,
Sorry it took so long to get back on the question. It's been a busy Easter Sunday.
I'll try to answer your questions in order.
1) Recall was for the transmission not shifting into overdrive and corrosion in the PCM. Service rep stated there was no corrossion but the PCM needed updates.
they flashed with TSB 18-015-03, LOP 08-19-36-94 and LOP08-C1-71-82

2) My fuel filter was change 1000 miles before the updates, When truck was taken in there were no power problems. I also use a AIRaid CAI.

3) Just to make sure it wasn't bad fuel or loss of air flow I changed my fuel filter 150 miles ago (total miles on filter 3000) and cleaned my air filter and re-oiled. (This cause no change in the power loss)

4) My Boat and trailer weigh 5000lb fully loaded. ( I never had any problems towing it before the updates.)

I don't know if this problem might be caused by the turbo not spooling up... I used to be able to hear the whine of the turbo before the updates; but not any more. I have thought about removing the silencer to make sure.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Jeff
Old 04-12-2004, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The flash, according to the op codes you posted, was indeed the JTEC controller for the trans issue. There is also a TSB for "lack of power while towing" which involves updating the ECM (cummins engine controller), but this usually involves bigger trailer weights. From what I've been told from tech the trucks use a different fueling map in od and this was to help save the trans. The flash changes the fueling in OD to the same as third lockup. They did not do this to your truck from the numbers you provided. Something did come to mind though.....Is it possible your truck is not in first gear when taking off from a stop? I've run into some trucks with gov psi issues that wouldn't let the truck shift down into first when coming to a stop. Obviously it makes the truck a real dog. Try when just leaving a standstill to pull the shifter down into first. If you feel it bump down that may give the tech an idea on which direction to go. I would also have the boost checked to see if it's acheiving proper levels. Possibly the loss of the familiar noise you noted previosly may be a sign. Let us know what happens.