3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

35k Service: Noticed First Oil Leak...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35k Service: Noticed First Oil Leak...

Changed my oil over the weekend (35k miles on the truck) and noticed a little wettness around the rear portion of the head, on the passenger side back near the firewall (right above the 4/5/6 exhaust manifold outlets). Although this is my 2nd Cummins, I didn't get past 20k on the first one ('02) before trading it in for this one. That one never showed any signs of oil weeping, nor has this one until now... I was under the impression that these things stayed tight for many many miles/years? Do I have the beginnings of a problem on my hands? It's not a drop or anything, just a slight wetness/weeping. I can post pics later if anyone has any input...
Old 01-03-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most likely the leak is coming from the valve cover gasket. Common problem on the early 3rd gen models. Sometimes just repositioning the gasket will stop the leak. Mine is weaping a little but no leaks yet.

MikeyB
Old 01-03-2005, 03:45 PM

MikeyB hit the nail right on the head. My previous Gen II had what I thought to be a leaking rear main seal. Luckily it was just the valve cover gasket leaking at the rear just as you describe. No big deal unless the tech scratches the heck out of the fender like he did on mine when changing the gasket.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:12 PM

Working strictly from beer-hazed memory, there were several "layers" of engine components sandwiched together at this location... I don't think it was from the top layer, which I would assume to be the valve cover. Rather, it seemed to be between two silver mettalic layers, which I can't really explain without a good picture. Or maybe another looksee on my part...
Old 01-03-2005, 04:13 PM

Would a leaky VCG be covered under warranty by the 7/70 or even the Cummins 100k, or do I need to fix this one myself?
Old 01-03-2005, 04:37 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
All engine oil leaks should be covered by the 5/100 engine warranty. Seepage may not be covered, as they sometimes deem it normal. That's Dodge's policy, although it's usually up to the judgement of the tech who looks at it.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:19 PM

i just had mine done the valve cover gasket was leaking at the rear change it and it is ok
Old 01-03-2005, 06:41 PM

OK, lemme ask a dumb question here... Having been blessed with nothing other than oil-change maintenance thus far (knock on wood!!!), I don't have any experience "working" on my Cummins engine per say. Is replacing the VCG any different than a standard gasser?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:01 PM
VPI

Mine is in the shop as we speak for a leak as you described but it is a drip. I also have a leak down the driver side rear that I hope is showing it's self on the first few bolts of the driver side oil pan and bell housing. If not then it is in for what ever that leak is as well. I am only at 25,000 hope they fix it this time.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:36 AM

Same here, a small weep around the entire cover. The last thing I want is some junior Dodge monkey messing with my truck for such a small concern, but should a guy wait until the warranty is just about up to get it fixed or do it now so that if they don't get it right, I still have time to go back?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:55 PM

Mine has this also,very very little seepage just above the exhaust manifold,no big deal < dont want anyone touching it for such a small thing..
Old 01-05-2005, 09:37 AM

I took mine in at 36476 mi for the seepage around the VC and high pressure connectors, and they told me that I would have to pay the 100 dollar deductable if they were to work on it. I told him it was only 476 mi over the standard warrenty and he said there was nothing he could do. I told him there was, he could give me back my keys cause I was leaving. For $100 I can buy what I need to fix it myself.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Right, the $100 deductible is bad.

For the question asked earlier about the sandwich of silver layers, the valve cover sits on what's called the rocker housing. The rocker housing sits on top of the cylinder head. There is a gasket between the valve cover and rocker housing and there is a gasket between the rocker housing and cylinder head.

Make sure the hold down screws are torqued before you do anything.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Chapter President

I was told by the dealer where I bought my truck that the seepage around the VC was not oil, but the shiny was stuff that is sprayed on the motor to dress it up and look new. The diesel mechanic used the die in the motor and I had them check it 3 wks later. Turns out he was right. Still looks like oil seepage, but mine has not changed and has been dry for months now.

my .02

Jamie
Old 01-06-2005, 03:05 AM

Here is a little info on the valve cover gasket. It is basically a big O-ring. It sits in a groove in the valve cover, and should last for many many miles. It is about 1/4 inch thick and very heavy duty. It is also real easy to fix a leaky one. Just remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the plastic cover on. Then remove the 6 10mm bolts holding the valve cover on. Remove O-ring gasket, clean it. Wipe down the head where the gasket sits. Re-install the gasket into the cover, and reassemble. You will need to torque the 6 bolts at 22 ftlbs, same for the plastic cover. And watch the orange O-rings on the valve cover bolts, don't loose them.

Or, you can just take it to the dealer.

Mike

Quick Reply: 35k Service: Noticed First Oil Leak...