3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2nd to 3rd generation; what's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd to 3rd generation; what's the difference?

I'm in the market for a new truck, but I've been looking at the Ford, since it has that nice back seat. Before I go and do something stupid, can someone give me the skinny on the 3rd generation trucks? I'm aware of the 2nd gen problems and would like to know what I'm getting into, if I decide to go this way. Looking at 2003-2005 trucks.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 PM

Want a big back seat?? What about the Mega Cab?? Yes- the 2'nd gen trucks had some problems, and so do the 3'd gens. But- I'd have to say the 03- 05 Dodge Cummins had so many less problems in those years than the Ford, that you can't even compare. (I don't work or have shares in Chrysler, but I do know guys who owned Ford in those years. Stay away from that 6L!) Do some research on this site for potential problems. Some that come to mind are- 03-04.5 lift pumps, ball joints, drive shafts, and some steering boxes.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got an '04 and the only problems have been the lift pump at about 65,000 miles and one of the sway bar end links. I added 60 HP and slipped the TC lockup clutch so I did some tranny work too, but that wasn't the truck's fault. The third gens have the best brakes of any vehicle I've ever had and the best engine I've ever had in a truck. It's the only vehicle I've never gotten tired of and it now has about 117,000 miles on it.

It's fast, it's safe, it's comfortable, it gets great mileage, it works hard and it's fun. You can modify it in a lot of ways and make big power if you want to. And you've got this great DTR group to help and share with. What else is there?

John
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 AM

Since you stated that you already know the common problems then im not going to bore you.

Ive had both and while my 2nd gen was burley and looked strong and didnt give me many problems I like my 3rd gen alot better. Its more of a chick magnet and is just nicer.

Technology has come along way since the 2nd gen and it shows in the new trucks.

what 3rd gens have over 2nd gens

bigger better brakes and 4 wheel ABS
HPCR CP3 injection pump that behives alot better then the VP44's and can make a ton more power.
Larger more roomy cabs
All kinds of computer and electronice advancments
Better drag links
and the avalability of finding used trucks with lower mileage.

Its just nice and can get alot more hp per dollar out of a 3rd gen.

I could go on and on but it you have the $$$ by all means get a 04.5+ over an older 2nd gen.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:25 PM

Well, to be honest, I'm not looking to mod this truck in any way. I will be towing a 12K boat/trailer combo, which I think this truck should handle quite easily. I would like to know what the average mileage is on these trucks, what injector pump problems they have, if any, and tranny issues. Please don't tell me that the lift pump is a problem on these trucks too!

I've done a little research on the Ford trucks and found that the 2005 up have pretty much had their issues resolved, so that would be my comparison truck. The back seat is a plus. I know the mega cab is available, but the truck doesn't look right, so that would not be an option.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM

You will be able to tow that weight easily. The lift pump problems were solved in 04.5 trucks and later I believe. They placed the pumps in tank and they hve proven to be very reliable. The new transmissions are alot stouter then the older transmissions. I had an 02 2500 before this truck, It was a good truck....But I wouldn't trade my 06 for anything, it's a far better overall truck in my opinion.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Talking

i just did the plunge from a 2nd gen to a 3rd gen,im very happy with the choice,althought i will always like the sound of the2nd gens it sure is nice to not have to shut thetruck off at a drive thru,the main thing i like is the full size rear doors,i hated the suicede doors on the old truck and the vp is an accident waiting to hapen,some 04s got the lift pump changed to in tank on waranty{mine did}and like stated before the power they get for little$ is awsome.the front end is better too,not sure about the autos on either but i liked the 5spd on my old one better.with the low sulpher diesel out there i wouldnt get another vp truck,those pumps are too finicky,i would love to have a new 12 valve in my 3rd gen body,that would be the ultimate truck
Old 11-03-2007, 11:26 PM

What is the deal with the newer trucks and ULSD? I have a friend who just bought an 07 Mega Cab and he intends on using it at his house in Mexico. Can you run Mexican diesel through those trucks?