3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2005 towhaul tsb

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TSB will not help with the down shifting with the cruise on. When this happens to me it is a signal to turn the cruise off.

This is a good thread and I do not want to hijack it, talking about the cruise control and mystery switch. So we need to start another thread.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diesel2005
Hi! shortbed RV

Reference your: 1. Your led light that comes ON when th TC locks-up.
2. Your mystery switch to lock-up the TC.

1.Would like informantion on how to install led light in regards to which wires
you tap into and other informantion.

2. Also about your mystery switch, on how to install and which wires to
tap into.

PS: I sure don't like it, when I was towing my 5th wheeler, when the transmission
did a big shift from 1800 RPM ------ 3200 -3600RPM going down a Interstate normal
grade on dry road with cruise control ON at 60 MPH.

Thanks
I test drove 2003 and 2004 and was happy with setup for the transmission,
but did not test drive the 2005 before purchase, because I was waiting for
J brake for three years.(trust only your self)

FYI, if you are going to use the TC lockup switch and CC towing on grades with no other mods, make sure you have enough power to pull the grade or you will be in worse shape than with the down shift.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:58 PM

I had the TSB done today. It works like the OD lockout on my 03 did. You put it into what the indicator calls "Tow Haul" and overdrive is now locked out. ( If you are getting this flash, remind them to keep the flash for the "high idle enable with cruise button" if you have this. Also, I told them I did not want the recall for "backup alarm" done. So- I still have the high idle enable, and no backup alarm.) With overdrive locked out it runs about 2000rpm at 50mph.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 AM

Wondering if I have this done, and then reload my Smarty will it kill the update to the Tow/Haul to lockout o/d?

Anybody know?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTed
I had the TSB done today. It works like the OD lockout on my 03 did. You put it into what the indicator calls "Tow Haul" and overdrive is now locked out. ( If you are getting this flash, remind them to keep the flash for the "high idle enable with cruise button" if you have this. Also, I told them I did not want the recall for "backup alarm" done. So- I still have the high idle enable, and no backup alarm.) With overdrive locked out it runs about 2000rpm at 50mph.
Thanks for the post, clears up what the TSB does.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Your welcome! If I can answer other questions about it, I'll try. If it wasn't for DTR, I'd have had no clue about the TSB. (I have found out about loads of things on here, and to me this is one of the most valuable in recent memory. Thanks!)
Old 05-23-2007, 05:28 PM

Help, I went to the Doge place in Medford, OR while visiting my son and they never heard of this TSB. They checked for my Ram 2005, 2500 CTD and they found nothing. Am I reading this wrong or should they find on form my rig????
Old 05-23-2007, 05:30 PM

Sorry typed to fast with out reading. Disregard the garbled first post--

Help, I went to the Dodge place in Medford, OR while visiting my son and they never heard of this TSB. They checked for my Ram 2005, 2500 CTD and they found nothing. Am I reading this wrong or should they find one for my rig????
Old 05-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jsabeh
Sorry typed to fast with out reading. Disregard the garbled first post--

Help, I went to the Dodge place in Medford, OR while visiting my son and they never heard of this TSB. They checked for my Ram 2005, 2500 CTD and they found nothing. Am I reading this wrong or should they find one for my rig????
They should check for TSB 21-006-07.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks, took the rig back today and they looked up the TSB and found it, will flash ECM on Wednesday and will also enable High Idle. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jsabeh
Thanks, took the rig back today and they looked up the TSB and found it, will flash ECM on Wednesday and will also enable High Idle. Thanks again for the help.
NOTE: To enable the new 4th gear disable feature, the ECM must first be
reprogrammed (flashed) with the latest software level, and then the 4th gear
disable feature “O/D OFF ENABLE” must be selected (turned on) using the
DRBIII®. Tow/haul mode is not an available feature whenever the DRBIII® has enabled the “O/D OFF ENABLE” selection.

FYI: if they only reflash the TSB will not work.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by shortbed rv
NOTE: To enable the new 4th gear disable feature, the ECM must first be
reprogrammed (flashed) with the latest software level, and then the 4th gear
disable feature “O/D OFF ENABLE” must be selected (turned on) using the
DRBIII®. Tow/haul mode is not an available feature whenever the DRBIII® has enabled the “O/D OFF ENABLE” selection.

FYI: if they only reflash the TSB will not work.
That's correct. If they read the instructions carefully, one of the steps is to click on "yes" for "O/D off enable" using the DRBIII. If they just do the flash, it won't work until they do that "extra" step.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:19 PM

I went to my Dodge dealer today, gave them the TSB# (above). They looked at my truck & said I could do the same thing just manually shifting the auto trans down into "2", as the RPM's would, at higher speeds at least, dictate that it would actually shift into 3rd, thus locking out OD. All I know is that, when I hit the Tow Haul button, going up or down grade, I want to STAY in 3rd until I SAY I want it to go back to OD. I hate going down a curving grade with a load, hitting the TH button, then worrying about it kicking out of TH back into OD. I asked why Dodge would come out with a TSB if it did the same exact thing to manually shift the auto trans down. They said something to the effect that some people like to tinker. Is this right? - does down shifting the auto trans work the same as the OD lockout TSB? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:10 PM

So, does anyone have an opinion as to whether this TSB would be better than buying a BD overdrive lockout?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by DMal
I went to my Dodge dealer today, gave them the TSB# (above). They looked at my truck & said I could do the same thing just manually shifting the auto trans down into "2", as the RPM's would, at higher speeds at least, dictate that it would actually shift into 3rd, thus locking out OD. All I know is that, when I hit the Tow Haul button, going up or down grade, I want to STAY in 3rd until I SAY I want it to go back to OD. I hate going down a curving grade with a load, hitting the TH button, then worrying about it kicking out of TH back into OD. I asked why Dodge would come out with a TSB if it did the same exact thing to manually shift the auto trans down. They said something to the effect that some people like to tinker. Is this right? - does down shifting the auto trans work the same as the OD lockout TSB? Thanks in advance.
No, it's not the same thing. If I'm going 60mph and shift into 2'nd, my truck probably will go into 3'd first, because of the high speed(probably). But then it will shift into 2'nd as my speed drops, and stay locked in 2'nd until I shift my indicator back to 3'd. If my 05 does not have the TSB, it will go into overdrive again once I shift it into 3'd. Do they want you to shift your transmission into 2'nd at 50- 55mph??

Quick Reply: 2005 towhaul tsb