3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2005 towhaul tsb

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last 3 times my has been flashed I had to get the dealer the enable the high idle again. For some reason it keeps customer prefered settings but not this one. After the tow/haul TSb they had to enable it again.

This tow/haul tsb is a DC SCREWUP. In normal mode it works as before but in tow/ haul they have the programing wrong. Yes it does lockout overdrive as the driver requested. The problem is the lock-up point for the tc. DC in their wisdom has this set @ 2000rpm in the tow/haul mode which = 50mph and once this speed is reached it acheives lock-up. Then upon deceleration once you drop to 2000rpm it unlocks and you freewheel.[this setting should be 1500-1600rpm not 2000rpm.]
In normal mode after the flash it holds lock-up till 1500 with overdrive on.

Dc is going to be replacing a pile trannys from oveheat because of the low speed lock-up not being allowed. Those of us that tow heavy in the twisty up and down stuff will be gettintg alot of warrany work.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:48 PM

FYI: last weekend I added a LED light to come on when the TC is locked. On my truck the TC locks at 55MPH and unlocks at 45 mph.

I need to check to see when the TC locks in Tow/Haul mode which is really OD lockout for my truck.

Sometimes it can be difficult to tell when the trans is shifting into gear and when the TC is locking.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by juicedcummins
The last 3 times my has been flashed I had to get the dealer the enable the high idle again. For some reason it keeps customer prefered settings but not this one. After the tow/haul TSb they had to enable it again.

This tow/haul tsb is a DC SCREWUP. In normal mode it works as before but in tow/ haul they have the programing wrong. Yes it does lockout overdrive as the driver requested. The problem is the lock-up point for the tc. DC in their wisdom has this set @ 2000rpm in the tow/haul mode which = 50mph and once this speed is reached it acheives lock-up. Then upon deceleration once you drop to 2000rpm it unlocks and you freewheel.[this setting should be 1500-1600rpm not 2000rpm.]

Dc is going to be replacing a pile trannys from oveheat because of the low speed lock-up not being allowed. Those of us that tow heavy in the twisty up and down stuff will be gettintg alot of warrany work.

That does seem strange. Would the overdrive mode be Tow haul shift points with overdrive, and the overdrive lockout mode be " normal" shift points without overdrive?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:08 AM

Why is it never simple. I was ready to run to the dealer to get this done to my 05 to save the tranny now if you get it done you might burn it up . Good times
Joe
Old 05-18-2007, 12:44 PM

Help me understand.

What does the flash do?
1. Does it replace tow/haul mode with OD lockout.
2. Does it replace normal mode with tow/haul mode AND OD lockout.

From what I have read it does #1. The flash will kill T/H and replace it with OD LO when the button is pushed.

Can one of you guys that has had the flash done chime it on its effect on T/H and OD.

I don't care about horn honking, skinning dipping, haircuts, or anything else it does, I just want to know how it effects the tranny.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:54 PM

My friend with the 2005 had taken his truck in for the flash and was upset with the results ( nothing changed). He took the truck back in yesterday and complained. It seems in order for the flash to work they must first flash the cummins controller and then the truck ECM. The instructions for this change require this.I believe it even states this on the TSB. You know the dealer they do what ever is easiest and only if there is a problem do they read the instruction ( sounds like me).

They got it right the second time. The flash changes the tow/haul mode to OD lockout. He is a happier person .

Does anyone want to know when my 2004.5 TC. RPM/MPH locks up in (overdrive lockout, 3rd gear) and when it unlocks?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by shortbed rv
My friend with the 2005 had taken his truck in for the flash and was upset with the results ( nothing changed). He took the truck back in yesterday and complained. It seems in order for the flash to work they must first flash the cummins controller and then the truck ECM. The instructions for this change require this.I believe it even states this on the TSB. You know the dealer they do what ever is easiest and only if there is a problem do they read the instruction ( sounds like me).

They got it right the second time. The flash changes the tow/haul mode to OD lockout. He is a happier person .

Does anyone want to know when my 2004.5 TC. RPM/MPH locks up in (overdrive lockout, 3rd gear) and when it unlocks?
Thanks, that was my understanding too. Will take your reply to dealer so they can do it right first time.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 PM

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but what your saying is that my tranny will unlock sooner when downshifting. If so, what is the slowest speed it will stay locked in 2nd. And I assume it will stay locked at any speed in 3rd.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:35 PM

When using the overdrive off feature the tc unlocks @ 2000rpm which on my speedo is 50mph.
When in normal mode with the overdrive on it unlocks @ 1500rpm, so yes it unlocks earlier in regards to the engine rpm when using overdrive off. In 3'rd gear there is no lock-up under 2000rpm period with overdrive off.

I draged my trailer to the lake today but did not try the 2'nd gear lock but will try it tues on a couple of pretty good hills.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 PM

When using the overdrive off feature the tc unlocks @ 2000rpm which on my speedo is 50mph.
When in normal mode with the overdrive on it unlocks @ 1500rpm, so yes it unlocks earlier in regards to the engine rpm when using overdrive off. In 3'rd gear there is no lock-up under 2000rpm period with overdrive off.

I draged my trailer to the lake today but did not try the 2'nd gear lock but will try it tues on a couple of pretty good hills.
My truck is a 2004.5 and it does the same. In od lock out the TC locks at 45 and will unlock at anytime I let off the peddle below 50 mph. Above 55 mph it will stay lock until speed drops below 50.

I installed a led light that comes on when the TC locks. Now I will go ahead and do the mystery switch. I will use the switch to lock the TC below 50 mph (when towing ) to help slow down when descending mountain passes.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 AM

OK , Id like to get something straight in my confused mind here.
If this flash for the OD is done, has it or will it add the backup crap to it as well or just the OD?
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 PM

THE WAY i UNDERSTAND IT ...AFTER THE FLASH ...
YOU PRESS THE T/H BUTTON the tranny goes into t/h mode and LOCKS OUT OD ...
then the horn honks and the dash lights flash and your door opens with the emergency brake

BECAUSE "HERE AT D.C. WE CARE ABOUT YOU" AND WE ONLY DO THINGS THE RIGHT WAY!

What I think they are really doing is trying to keep the torque converters from burning up at such a high rate... WITHOUT YOU KNOWING ....un locking at higher rpm...not shifting... my.02
Old 05-20-2007, 12:16 PM

Hi! shortbed RV

Reference your: 1. Your led light that comes ON when th TC locks-up.
2. Your mystery switch to lock-up the TC.

1.Would like informantion on how to install led light in regards to which wires
you tap into and other informantion.

2. Also about your mystery switch, on how to install and which wires to
tap into.

PS: I sure don't like it, when I was towing my 5th wheeler, when the transmission
did a big shift from 1800 RPM ------ 3200 -3600RPM going down a Interstate normal
grade on dry road with cruise control ON at 60 MPH.

Thanks
I test drove 2003 and 2004 and was happy with setup for the transmission,
but did not test drive the 2005 before purchase, because I was waiting for
J brake for three years.(trust only your self)
Old 05-20-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by diesel2005
Hi! shortbed RV

tap into.

PS: I sure don't like it, when I was towing my 5th wheeler, when the transmission
did a big shift from 1800 RPM ------ 3200 -3600RPM going down a Interstate normal

Thanks

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...highlight=lock

This links to the thread on the TC lock up switch (mystery Switch).
Note : on page 7 are some pictures.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by diesel2005
Hi! shortbed RV

tap into.

Thanks

I assume you have a 2005 CTD. I don't understand what you mean your truck did a big shift. 3200 is near redline. Did you floor it, were you going down a hill, have you had the TSB done...??? Do you drive a stick shift??? Please fill out your signature, and give us a bit more info. I'm probably having this TSB done on Tuesday, unless there's a reason not to.

Quick Reply: 2005 towhaul tsb