3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2005 towhaul tsb

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
So at what speed are you better off at switching back to O/D for fuel mileage?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well it would seem that towhaul is regular shifting without od.I haven't noticed that the shift points are differant and i don't notice the engine braking with the new towhaul mode.I do wonder if this is being done for compression brake use i'm not sure.I need to get it on some hills to see what the differances are.As far as fuel mileage i hit the button at 2000 rpm to get the tranny to go into od for better fuel mileage.Again i wonder if this is for engine brakes anyone know?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:01 PM

ya, this sounds like a bummer man, i love how the tranny locks up hard in tow/haul mode. hate the mushy shifts of regular mode......****
Old 04-26-2007, 07:09 PM

It doesnt shift mushy the tranny shifts great i just haven't noticed if it holds a gear longer under load than regular shifting.Shifts very crisp.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:38 AM

Ramcan, are you still able to acheive 2'nd gear lockup after the flash in any or either mode?[pulled down to 2'nd manually]
When lifting your foot off of the pedal does the Torque-converter unlock in any or either mode?[od on or off]
Depending on the programing dc might have the trans in fulltime tow/haull mode and just gave us an O/D off switch.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ramcam
i don't have the tsb number the service manager was not in when i picked up my truck.Well i got it out on the highway today and overdrive does not kick in at 50 miles per hour anymore.Travelling at 60 miles per hour i'm running at 2500 rpm which is a bit noisy but i can see if you were towing a heavy load it would really put you in the torgue curve when pulling long hills.If you can find the tsb on it it would provide alot more info.They also said the overhead consloe readings would be alot more accurate.An increase in fuel mileage aprox 1 mile per gal.
If I'm not mistaken, the max tq for these trucks comes on at approx 1600 or so RPMs and max hp at around the RPMs you're speaking of. As long as my truck is making max tq at about 1600 +/- and keeping my EGTs, engine temps and tranny temps as low as possible, why change? I mean, either way you look at it at those RPMs with a heavy load behind you, you're doing a real number on these stock TCs...
Old 04-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Had this reflash done in Charlotte,NC last week.It locks the converter in 2nd & drive. I played around a little, then drove all the way back to Ohio with trailer without using lockup. (NOTE grossed 19000 lbs some 3 to 5 mile pulls @5% grade) The truck pulled fine didn't search for gears & the shifts were sharp. When I did try lockup it was total lockup. The tranny worked flawless in normal mode from take off to topping Fancy Gap ( thats 5% for 5 miles). So far I think I like it. I plan to install the PacBrake engine brake (someday).This should help with that. Will not need the EMC bypss or the ATS Co Pilot is what I'm thinking. I didn't know the dealer was going to do the reflash,So right off the bat I didn't like it. After a day of driving it I think it is an improvement.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:47 AM

JUICED, thats exactly what im hoping for tow/haul ALL the time with the option of od lockout. that would be KILLER!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 AM

Well that is what it is Annivader towhaiul with the option of od lockout.
Ocal ctd i think this is being setup for engine brakes. If you want you can use the tranny as normal, to run at lower rpms. I think the new towhaul will work a bit better in twisty mountainous roads takes away all the gear searching.Be good to see what a pro driver thinks of the new flash.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:50 PM

RAM, that sounds awesome, i will defenently look into it, thx. for me it would be great for in town driving,(i do that alot) and the speed limit is 40 on the road i travel. were od kicks in. dont like 1200 rpms for an hour straight.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:10 PM

they are probably just trying to save DC $$ ...by us not burning up Torque Converters ...making them NOT lock as hard
Old 05-02-2007, 12:13 AM

Had the TSB done last Thursday. No OD in tow/haul mode anymore. however, my "Idle Up" feature doesn't work anymore. Stopped by the dealer yesterday and after spending about an hour explaining the cruise control high idle feature the service manager finally asked a Tech who seemed to know what it was. A quick check with the scan tool and the tech said that the idle up was activated. Still, high idle doesn't work. Anyone else with an 05 have this problem?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 AM

Anyone know if this new flash also adds the reverse/honk to the programing? I'm still wondering if I want to get this new tsb done, I tow on the highway at or arround 70-75mph and no od would kill mileage, is it ok to tow at these speeds w/o the tow haul option engaged? If I could start out in tow haul the turn it off at highway speeds without causing any damage to the trans then, I would get this tsb done, sounds like one would have more control of our transmissions.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:12 PM

I have been turning off towhaul at 55 mph and the od slips in nicely seems to work well.If you drive towing at 70 or 75 you would be redlining for sure in towhaul.2500 rpm is 60 mph with my 373s in towhaul.And i think the backup horn is enabled with the flash ,
Old 05-14-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ramcam
Well that is what it is Annivader towhaiul with the option of od lockout.
Ocal ctd i think this is being setup for engine brakes. If you want you can use the tranny as normal, to run at lower rpms. I think the new towhaul will work a bit better in twisty mountainous roads takes away all the gear searching.Be good to see what a pro driver thinks of the new flash.
I'm a bit late coming in on this topic. Just a few questions-1. With this new flash, does the transmission always have the tow haul type shifts, even when you are running in the mode with overdrive? 2. If you ask them not to enable the reverse honk, does it have to be enabled with this flash? 3. If doing this flash erases the high idle with cruise, can't they re- enable it? (Probably need a mechanic to answer, or someone else who has had this done?) Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2005 towhaul tsb