3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 power steering pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 power steering pump failure

Heading into work this morning on the Baltimore Beltway doing about 65 mph in my 2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 truck. (84K miles) Without any warning my steering wheel became next to impossible to turn and I had no brakes. Since it was really early and traffic was light, I was able to safely, with some close calls, get onto the shoulder and stop my truck. I tried looking down to see what was going on and saw what I pretty much knew was the culpret. My serpantine belt had broken or popped off and was wrapped up around some things in the engine bay. I turned on my flashers and all of my amber warning lights (snow plow truck) and proceeded at 5 mph on shoulder to next exit and into a parking lot of Advanced Auto. I am a firefighter and had another man waiting for me to get in so I knew I would have to wait to fix the problem. My fire engine came down to Advanced Auto and picked me up and I worked my day shift. When I got off and was dropped off at my truck, I proceeded to buy a new belt ($49.99) and went about my business of putting new belt on. It was then I found the entire pulley on the power steering pump had sheered off the pump. Had plenty of fluid, hadn't been making any moans or groans, etc. Little hard for me to do with few tools and limited mechanical knowledge. So truck was towed in to local dealer. I was under the impression that the pump is covered under cummins 100K mile warranty but it appears it isn't. Remanufactrued pumps with resevoir are less than $100. Can't imagine what dealer is going to charge. lol. My problem is, the pump failing at 84K miles is totally unacceptable. I have had 6 other diesel trucks and a few gassers and never had a pump do this. Does anyone know if others are experiencing this problem? What may have caused this? Suggestions on pushing it with the dealer to get tehm to give me a break or cover some of it? I have several other diesels with over 220K miles and not a single one has had a power steering pump go up.

Thanks, John
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM

My power steering pump went out last week. I was able to get into parking lot. An officer gave me a ride to the Oreilly Auto Parts and the pump was $71. my plan was to change it myself but ended up towing it to Tire Kingdom. They removed the PS Pump and some how let the impeller of the water pump get away from them. Had that and thermostat changed. 7 hours later and $585 i was able to get back on the road. My truck steers handles and drives so much better now.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Now that I am thinking back a few nights, I had an incident backing out of my parking spot. When I was stopped, the steering was rock hard. Couldn't turn it but a few inches in each direction. I put truck in neutral and revved it up and was able to steer it. So I checked fluid and it was fine. It was extremely cold out for this area and I had a snow plow hanging off of the front of the truck. In hindsight, this might have been the start of it failing. Looking at almost $700 for dealer to replace pump.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM

2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel (bought new), for the second time Monday I had to replace my power steering pump. Both times the shaft came out. First time was 37,000 miles (you bet ya...right after the warranty ran out) and now 69,700 miles. On the first failure the shaft came out completely, broke the drive belt and I ran over the shaft and pulley with my right rear tire...yup nice hole. This time I got lucky and shaft was out but not completely, but another shredded drive belt. This being the second time, I called a Dodge dealership, to inquire about this problem. Would you believe they had the gall to tell me that they have never seen this happen. Yea, just like the time they blew smoke up my azz, telling me that the temperature differential with A/C between the drivers side and passenger side will vary 10 to 14 degrees.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ALFisherman
2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel (bought new), for the second time Monday I had to replace my power steering pump. Both times the shaft came out. First time was 37,000 miles (you bet ya...right after the warranty ran out) and now 69,700 miles. On the first failure the shaft came out completely, broke the drive belt and I ran over the shaft and pulley with my right rear tire...yup nice hole. This time I got lucky and shaft was out but not completely, but another shredded drive belt. This being the second time, I called a Dodge dealership, to inquire about this problem. Would you believe they had the gall to tell me that they have never seen this happen. Yea, just like the time they blew smoke up my azz, telling me that the temperature differential with A/C between the drivers side and passenger side will vary 10 to 14 degrees.
You need a new dealer!! It amazes me (kind of) what some dealers will try to get away with.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
You need a new dealer!! It amazes me (kind of) what some dealers will try to get away with.
1. Fan clutch out at less then 36,000 miles..covered under warranty.

2. Fuel gauge inop. told them it was the gauge, but they wanted to replace the pump, no fix, then they wanted to install a out of the tank fuel pump..no fix..Changed the fuel gauge..fixed. Covered under warranty.

3. Defective
front tire..goes bump..bump..bump belt broken. Dealer says I have to go to Michelin for warranty, not covered under car warranty. Tire dealer says nothing is wrong, can't SEE any defect. Lost all my business..I now run Hancook 10 ply. Great service.

4. Right front door rubbed against the weather strip, now it's trash. Since I hardly ever ride as a passenger, didn't notice it.

5. Two power steering pumps as stated above.

6. Brought vehicle to dealer no less then 5 times for the A/C. Told them it was the mixer, they refused to dig into it, claiming..see attachment.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 power steering pump failure-defective-001.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/Index.html
Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Changed mine on Friday and 634 miles later on Saturday in a rest area it blew the seal on the impeller.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:59 PM

bring this to the top with a question, how hard is it to change them and how long?
The other day my brakes started getting stiff and the steering is also getting stiff, I know I need to do mine.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MR. GADGET
bring this to the top with a question, how hard is it to change them and how long?
The other day my brakes started getting stiff and the steering is also getting stiff, I know I need to do mine.
The worse part of installing the water pump is putting the belt on. Took about 1/2 hour installing the pump, but when I went to put the belt on there was NO schematic for it on the car itself or in the Owners Manual. I finally found one and after installing a new belt, put the old belt under my back seat and a copy of belt schematic in the glove box.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 AM

The worse part of installing the water pump is putting the belt on. Took about 1/2 hour installing the pump, but when I went to put the belt on there was NO schematic for it on the car itself or in the Owners Manual. I finally found one and after installing a new belt, put the old belt under my back seat and a copy of belt schematic in the glove box.

Power steering pump not the water pump but thanks, done the belt thing, it is a PITA......
Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Power steering pump not the water pump but thanks, done the belt thing, it is a PITA......
Correction...I don't know why I typed Water pump (brain fart), I meant Power Steering pump. I had to replace mine twice, last time I bought from O'Riely's ($55.99 + tax) and has a LIFETIME warranty. First time I couldn't find one locally for under $100.00 and bought online. My truck has 75,000 miles. The hardest part was removing the hoses, not much room for line wrenches.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Good deal, any pointers on the job?

getting the pulley off? draining the system and filling it?

Any new clamps or hoses needed or special tools?

Thanks

Had some problems with my back and just can't spend all the time that I use to the check and trouble shoot before I tackle it.

Just plan to get the parts, tools and hit it the best I can...
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Good deal, any pointers on the job?

getting the pulley off? draining the system and filling it?

The pulley will come off with the pump, and is bolted to the shaft. I used a drip pan to catch the fluid and discard. The system when filled, run the engine for about 5 minutes, doing nothing, then rock the steering wheel back and forth from 10:00 to 2:00 System should bleed itself, watch fluid level. Use power steering fluid and not transmission fluid.

Any new clamps or hoses needed or special tools?

No clamps, "O" rings supplied with new pump. If at all possible use only LINE wrenches on hoses. They are Metric

Thanks

Had some problems with my back and just can't spend all the time that I use to the check and trouble shoot before I tackle it.

Just plan to get the parts, tools and hit it the best I can...
Pretty straight forward on the R&R, but you know about the belt. Since you are there replace the belt, take old belt and store under the seat or somewhere. You never know where or when you might be if a belt breaks.

You're welcome
Ron
Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 AM

I was reading in the book that is said you need to remove the intake and intercooler hose to remove and install, is that true or is there room to work around it.

Also said not to reuse the pulley? No one is selling them, why not reuse if it is fine, no dents, dings and so on.

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 power steering pump failure