3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 auto trans acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Missed the place where you said it only does it warm.

Does it do it in all gears like 1st and 2nd if you manually downshift?

You said it runs fine otherwise, does it shift on time or are the shifts drawn out and extra firm?

Has the TV cable been adjusted correctly? Readjusted for any change?

I would expect a transmission shop to check the TV cable first, then possibly suggest changing the governor pressure soleoid and transducer next before getting into hard parts.

Then I would expect them to have a flippin' clue about whats wrong! It doesn't sound like they are the sharpest pencil in the box on these trucks. Might consider finding a shop that has some experience with diesel units and see if they can be any more help.

Where are you located?
It seems to shift normally to me anyways its my first dodge truck it does it in with od on and off never tried it in 2nd or 1st the shift dont seem hard never had the tv cable looked at or adjusted the 3 places i have had it one being the dealership have all said right off the bat its the converter all of them said no electrical codes show up i asked them all about the noids and of coarse the all say oh now its nto that i think they are all looking for $$$$$$$ i heard on here these trans have tone of noid problems so i was thinking about ordering this and replaceing them all http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123 before i spend any money on a converter because NOT ONE of them said if i replace the converter they will GARENTEE it will be fixed
Old 04-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
It's your torque converter now go see the cashier. The torque converter is lugging the engine down, like taking off in third gear with a manual trans. This in turn causes the engine RPM to go down. The computer will try and keep the rpm's up by giving as much fuel as needed to do so. If you ever drove a manual trans diesel truck you will know what I'm saying. If you don't step on the clutch pedal that truck will do everything it can to put you through the wall of the shop. Got to love a diesel.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
It's your torque converter now go see the cashier. The torque converter is lugging the engine down, like taking off in third gear with a manual trans. This in turn causes the engine RPM to go down. The computer will try and keep the rpm's up by giving as much fuel as needed to do so. If you ever drove a manual trans diesel truck you will know what I'm saying. If you don't step on the clutch pedal that truck will do everything it can to put you through the wall of the shop. Got to love a diesel.
Do you work at one of the shops at had my truck at????
Old 04-22-2009, 02:00 AM

Ok it looks like im going to need a converter and or valve body after all im not going to be towing all the time with this and when i do do it will be a 24ft enclosed car trailer and dont plan on doing to much hp upgrades maybe just a tuner later on but im wondering what converter i should get?? i found a few on ebay price range $400-$1000 i was thinking of the one for $799 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...Q5fAccessories
and possible doing the upgraded valve body too
Old 04-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigtony55
Ok it looks like im going to need a converter and or valve body after all im not going to be towing all the time with this and when i do do it will be a 24ft enclosed car trailer and dont plan on doing to much hp upgrades maybe just a tuner later on but im wondering what converter i should get?? i found a few on ebay price range $400-$1000 i was thinking of the one for $799
Not to knock these guys but you never know what you are getting. Considering the price I think I would go with Goerends single disk.

If you are not towing all the time you don't really need the triple disk, a good single would suffice. Lowering the stall and a better fluid couping will make a huge difference in driveability. Since that requires some custom work you usually don't get that unless you pay a little more.

Your choice though.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Not to knock these guys but you never know what you are getting. Considering the price I think I would go with Goerends single disk.

If you are not towing all the time you don't really need the triple disk, a good single would suffice. Lowering the stall and a better fluid couping will make a huge difference in driveability. Since that requires some custom work you usually don't get that unless you pay a little more.

Your choice though.
Thanks id rather spend the money now then later even i might decide to put a big load on the truck some day and id like to know it can handle it
Old 08-28-2009, 04:26 PM

So are the goerends trans and converter combos good?? i know they are better priced than bd performance and suncoast i read some bad things about on here ??? im just gunna buck up and buy trans converter and valve body combo and be done messing with it
Old 09-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Help.

First I would like to say hello. This is my first post. I found this sight by accident. I own a small local repair shop. A friend brought his 2004 3500 Ram 5.9 auto in with a odd problem I,m am looking for some advise. It is doing the same thing as Bigtony55 is describing. Did you get yours fixed ?. What I found is with the scanner . The TPS, or apps shows the throttle at idle ,in gear at o% butt the calculated load is at 100%. When you come to a stop ,the truck throttles up by it self. When you let off the brake ,it launches for about 10 foot then goes back to normal idle. It feels like you are brake torking it,butt then it lets off. it drives down the road fine.The transmission shifts on the hard, firm side,butt shifts on time.Shifting from park or neutral to reverse or drive is rough to Violante. I checked it with 2 different scanners .No codes. I took it to a friends local aamco . Every thing in the trans appears right. The tork converter lock up solenoid is not being applied when this happens. I and the aamco tecks believe the problem is not in the transmission. It is electrical. Possible Apps. or computer, or connection. Any help would be appreciated .Thanks Joe.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:27 AM

I have a Suncoast, but have only heard good things about Goerends. I got a good deal on mine used. Goerends has a HUGE warranty!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:38 AM

Hey guys,
I would call Dave at Goerends. He will talk to you about your problem and how to correct it. He will also build you the correct parts that you need for your application. I definitely would not call Suncoast! I've already had 2 of there converters leave me on the side of the road...
Good luck to ya,
Topper