3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 auto trans acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 auto trans acting funny

I just bought a 2003 dodge ram 3500 with 5.9 cummins and auto trans its the 48re runs and drive fine but at the stop light it feals like the truck is trying to push me on its own and when i take my foot off the brake it goe son its own for a second then it feals liek the pressue goes away and it just coast until i step on the pedal and it shift REALLy hard going from park to drive or neutral to rev,park,drive like it has alot of pressure build up inthe trans i tookit to the local tranny shop they hooked their computer on it and we did a road test with it hooked up and no codes popped up or anything funny showed up on his computer but ther is obviously a problem where do i start do i take it and have it serviced and bands adjusted?? sound like maybe a pressure switch???? also while at the stop light i tried to rev up the gas with my foot on the brake and it didnt do nodda is this a factory saftey thing some peope dont try and power brake or is there yet another problem i need to look into ???
Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 PM

Anybody????
Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Maybe someone has put the wrong type of trans fluid in. ATF4 is what it should have. I would get the fluid changed and filter to start. You should also check the u joints on the drive shaft that can give a hard noise shifting from park to drive. How many miles are on it.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by longbed
Maybe someone has put the wrong type of trans fluid in. ATF4 is what it should have. I would get the fluid changed and filter to start. You should also check the u joints on the drive shaft that can give a hard noise shifting from park to drive. How many miles are on it.
213k its not the u joint noise i know that sound
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM

lot of miles it's probably been rebuilt once, is it possible someone's changed the stall on the convertor? when does it do this, when it's hot or cold?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by rjsram
lot of miles it's probably been rebuilt once, is it possible someone's changed the stall on the convertor? when does it do this, when it's hot or cold?
When its hot it acts worse
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 AM

Sound like there may be a an issue in the valve body. Mine have always felt like they kind of want to push you at a stoplight.

When they did the road test with you, did they check the line pressure on the trans? Just driving around looking for codes isn't gonna cut it. Need to see if it has some kind of internal pressure leak, something like that.

Also, if the transmission filter is plugged up it will act really weird as well. Might check that as well.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
Sound like there may be a an issue in the valve body. Mine have always felt like they kind of want to push you at a stoplight.

When they did the road test with you, did they check the line pressure on the trans? Just driving around looking for codes isn't gonna cut it. Need to see if it has some kind of internal pressure leak, something like that.

Also, if the transmission filter is plugged up it will act really weird as well. Might check that as well.
No line pressure checks no im going to take the truck in and have the rans serviced not at that shop to see what another shop will tell me
Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 AM

I took the truck into dealership today ( I KNOW I KNOW) they trans guy seemed to think it was the torque converter hes going to look it over run some test and do and inpsection to find out what the problem is i hope its something simple and alot whole lot cheaper than rebuilding the trans
Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by bigtony55
I took the truck into dealership today ( I KNOW I KNOW) they trans guy seemed to think it was the torque converter hes going to look it over run some test and do and inpsection to find out what the problem is i hope its something simple and alot whole lot cheaper than rebuilding the trans
Dealership guys are a$$hole$ and dumba$$'$ this guy took my pan down on my truck to tell me its either your aftermarket torque converter or aftermarket vavle body i cant tell you anymore info until i do more testing he tried to tell me it would be 3-4 hours to look into the valve body i was like *** put my truck back together im coming to get it aftr i asked them i why do i need to pay you an hour labor rate to tell me you dont knwo what wrong with my truck then he went on to says it your torque converter so i asked of so if i bring my truck home and put a new torque converter in it myself it will be fixed , then he said im not 100 % r these guys for real with the bs
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 AM

Anybody with any ideas a few trans shops i talked to say i need a torque converter but i think its just a big ticket item they can get me for then say oh this is bad too after after i soend the money ont he torque converti i might not need??? couldnt it be the Overdrive/Lock-up Solenoid Group with Electric Governor ????? or one of the other may noids in side?? even with no codes pulled i find it hard to belive its actually the covnerter the truck doesnt even have a 5th wheel or goose neck in it and never has??
Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New filter and flush before you spend any more money.(if you have not done this already) Do you have a diesel shop anywhere nearby? You may find a guy in a performance diesel shop who knows a helluva lot more about your tranny than anybody at the ***********. I know 3 of our trucks(04.5 and two 05's) that have in excess of 250,000 miles on the original 48re's. So even if the tq and vb have been replaced that does'nt always mean it's been rebuilt. Does yours have a 47 or 48?
Joe
Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigtony55
Anybody with any ideas a few trans shops i talked to say i need a torque converter but i think its just a big ticket item they can get me for then say oh this is bad too after after i soend the money ont he torque converti i might not need??? couldnt it be the Overdrive/Lock-up Solenoid Group with Electric Governor ????? or one of the other may noids in side?? even with no codes pulled i find it hard to belive its actually the covnerter the truck doesnt even have a 5th wheel or goose neck in it and never has??
It could be either the VB or TC, hard to tell without tearing it down. It could also be a cracked passage in the case. Those are tough to find.

A moderately priced billet cover TC is around $600 if your worried about cost of just throwing parts at it. Every problem I have seen like you have described has been a TC.

I would find a decent TC to replace with and go from there.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
It could be either the VB or TC, hard to tell without tearing it down. It could also be a cracked passage in the case. Those are tough to find.

A moderately priced billet cover TC is around $600 if your worried about cost of just throwing parts at it. Every problem I have seen like you have described has been a TC.

I would find a decent TC to replace with and go from there.
mule3010 i did the filet already and no_6_oh_no Thats my problem everyone shop i talk to automaticly say converter the one its at now its telling me $1250-$1950 for a new converter installed depending on which one i go with and that dont garrentee its gunne be fixed thats alot of money on a IT MIGHT FIX IT and you dont think it woudl be one fo the noids in trans intead of converter because wouldnt a converter do it all the time not just when it gets warm???
Old 04-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Missed the place where you said it only does it warm.

Does it do it in all gears like 1st and 2nd if you manually downshift?

You said it runs fine otherwise, does it shift on time or are the shifts drawn out and extra firm?

Has the TV cable been adjusted correctly? Readjusted for any change?

I would expect a transmission shop to check the TV cable first, then possibly suggest changing the governor pressure soleoid and transducer next before getting into hard parts.

Then I would expect them to have a flippin' clue about whats wrong! It doesn't sound like they are the sharpest pencil in the box on these trucks. Might consider finding a shop that has some experience with diesel units and see if they can be any more help.

Where are you located?

Quick Reply: 2003 auto trans acting funny