3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2000 RPM Vibration Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 RPM Vibration Gone!

Since new this truck has had the imfamous vibration at 65-72MPH. I got fed up with waiting for the regional rep to turn up. The vibration was more noticable when the drive train was under load, up slight inclines etc.

3 x 4" hose clamps midway on the rear driveshaft. I tried two at 90 degree settings and arrived at the best position. I added a third, and its gone!

Best of luck to others who are suffering the same pain I was.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would love to experiment with this solution. Can you please give some guidance as to what procedure you used to determine placement of the clamps?

For example . . .

Why did you pick the midway point of the shaft vs. one end or the other or . . . ?

How did you decide where to position the first clamp? From your description, I assume the second went 90deg from there? Which way, clockwise or ccw?

Where did the third clamp go?

I'd be willing to write up a detailed procedure for this process for others and post back if I can gather enough info and make it work for me.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 06-01-2005, 07:59 AM

The first thing I decided was that this was a drivetrain problem. If this was a wheel balance problem, going up an incline would not make a difference to the vibration at the same speed. Once I had decided that this was a driveshaft balance problem I figured that the location of most flex would be the middle of the shaft.

I installed two clamps right next to each other at the middle point on the shaft. The first run at 70 mph showed some improvement. I moved the clamps 90 degrees anti clockwise, a little worse. I moved the clamps 90 degrees clock wise each run and eventually settled on what I thought was the best result.

I was resonably happy with the results, a definite improvement over what I had. It still bugged me that there was a slight vibration and for $1.58 I tried a third at the same orientation right next to the other two clamps. Vibration gone. It still amazes me that when I get to 70 mph cruising that there is no vibration. $5 total.

This may not work for everybody with a vibration issue because I think there is probably more than one cause for the vibration.

Hope it works for you.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:52 AM

If you can, it would be nice to see some pictures of your setup. I'm one of the lucky ones, without a vibration, but a picture for those that have it may be helpfull. Good job thinking outside the box on this one.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:21 AM

Miketriton,

OK . . . so all three clamps are aligned together? Sounds pretty simple. I guess I have to try it. My vibe is pretty minor and it "feels" like it's coming from the back. This might very well take care of it.

JohnnyH,

Slightly off-topic . . . but:

I notice you have a Crossroads Cruiser and a 4x4. Did you have to flip the axles or do anything special to get it to ride level behind the higher Dodge bed? I looked at the pic of your Cruiser in your gallery, but can't tell if it's been raised. What is your clearance between the bed and the fiver? I'm very close to ordering a 29RE and am a bit concerned. I have a short bed (with Pullrite Superglide) if that makes any difference. I had to flip the axles on my current fiver (an older Terry) to get it level.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:00 AM

NJ Murvin.... I did not have to do anything to the trailer to get it to ride level. The Cruiser came with the leaf springs on top of the axles from the factory. I have about 6-7" of clearance as I remember. I will measure it next time I hook up.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:08 AM

NJ Murvin. I just uploaded a picture of the trailer hooked up. As soon as it is approved you could see what she looks like. According to the picture it looks like it is a tad nose high. I have towed over 4000 miles and have no abnormal tire wear, so I guess it is ok.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:48 PM

JohnnyH,

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for the pic. I think the equalizer link between the axles does some weight distribution if the level isn't way out of whack. Sounds like it's OK for you.

Neil

On edit . . . I just saw the pic. Looks great. I don't think it looks too nose high. Is it still sitting on the landing gear or is the weight on the truck? Looks to me like the landing gear is still down.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:08 PM
OX1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 2000 RPM Vibration Gone!

Originally posted by miketriton
Since new this truck has had the imfamous vibration at 65-72MPH. I got fed up with waiting for the regional rep to turn up. The vibration was more noticable when the drive train was under load, up slight inclines etc.

3 x 4" hose clamps midway on the rear driveshaft. I tried two at 90 degree settings and arrived at the best position. I added a third, and its gone!

Best of luck to others who are suffering the same pain I was.
So, do you think it is strictly a driveshaft balance problem or are you are counteracting something else that is not balanced?? (tranny output shaft, pinion????)
Old 06-05-2005, 10:42 PM

I just had my driveshaft replaced @ 5500 miles. No more vibe. Mine only started a couple hundred miles ago, felt like driving with big, nasty mud tires.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:07 AM

I just had my driveshaft replaced @ 5500 miles. No more vibe. Mine only started a couple hundred miles ago, felt like driving with big, nasty mud tires.
That's the way mine feels too! When I took it in for service and started to complain, the service writer blew me off saying that they aren't allowed to exceed the speed limit of 65mph so they couldn't even road test it for that problem (since it starts at around 68mph). I didn't press it, but gave them bad marks on their service for not offering me an alternative. Next time, I may just ask to have a service tech take a ride with me. I'll exceed the speed limit and show him exactly what it does and when it happens.