3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

11.50 Probs require a extendeded warranty? Are they worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 11.50 Probs require a extendeded warranty? Are they worth it or not?

I have lurked for a month or so and haven't been much on the postings. Howdy to all and I just want to say you have a FANTASTIC Diesel site!

Anywho, I am in the market for a 2006 CTD 2500 QC 4x4 SWB. Something I can rely on for some time. I have been told there have been issues with the 11.50" Rear axle on the 2500's, is this true and if so what are the failures they commonly have?

If there are failures, what have y'all been getting as far as extended warranties? How soon (if there are problems) do they show themselves? I know you have to wait to juice the engine until the warranty is over - so do you stay with the 3/36k or do you go to a 85k extended warranty? I am in the market for a truck and want to be most knowledgable when I make the deal!

Thanks!

John
Old 07-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Nav

I dont have any real time experience with the actual failures, but the secret to longevity is to simply change the fluids and have the rear end serviced regularly. Dont expect to pull 15k lbs for 100k miles without servicing the axle. Just common maintenance, nothing expensive.

Nav
Old 07-15-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't really heard of anybody, or least not very many, having a problem with them failing.

Some guys have complained that the anti-spin doesn't work as well as they think it should. Just lightly apply the brake while using it and you should be fine. If you get a 4x4 it probably won't matter anyway.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:20 PM

Be careful who you listen to, didn't happen to be a Ford guy did it? I assume a Chebby guy wouldn't have much to say being they use the same axle.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:22 PM

Been reading several of these forums for a LONG time.Very few posts about rear axel issues.Very few.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:41 PM

There were some issues with AAM's WAY BACK when I bought my truck (late '02), but very few issues since. I'd call it "no issues". I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have an 11.5 in my truck.

As far as extended warranties go, there those rare folks who actually benefit from them (I know one of them), but in the vast majority of cases its the insurance companies making the profit from those warranties.

Some guys say to take that money that you would spend on an extended warranty and put it into an interest bearing account, and use that cash if/when you need to use it.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:51 PM

Wow! Thanks guys for all the info! It didn't make sense to me as I hadn't found much on here about it! It was (if my memory serves correctly) a sales manager at a Dodge dealership who told me they had problems. Backed by that someone else wrote about it a while back on pavementsucks.com. Oh well, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't just opening my mouth to change feet when I am at the dealership. :P

Ok, well thanks for all the welcomes and howdys! I am just waiting to see if a dealership here in Phoenix can find me a 6 spd.

John
Old 07-15-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The biggest problem with the AAM 11.5" is that they came from the factory low on fluid and the dealers didn't catch it. Mine was 1qt low.

MikeyB
Old 07-15-2006, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for clarity....

The 11.5" is in the 3500 DRW and SRW trucks; the 2500's have the 10.5"

They are both made by American Axle.

Tony
Old 07-15-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
Just for clarity....

Not quite right. Most 3rd gen 2500's have the 11.5". The only model that came with the 10.5" rear axle is 2003 Standard Output with automatic transmission. Every other 3rd gen will have the 11.5" AAM.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 03 with 25k miles and the brgs are pretty loose already - 10 in. lbs. rolling tq. It's a late 02 and I suspect it was one of the low ones. It's quiet so DC won't even think about warranty. Craig
Old 07-16-2006, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by TonyB
Just for clarity....

Tony
Nope, wrongo. Go read my post above about having an 11.5 AAM in my 2500. We've regained some clarity.

Edit: BC I didn't see your post when I hit the quote button. Another way to say it I think is stick shift 2500's had the bigger diff.

Mine was also low on oil when delivered. During that timeframe the internet was loaded with threads on the proper level of oil in the diffs. Including the math on reading +/- 1/4" etc......
Old 07-16-2006, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 05 has the 11.5. I have had no problems with it. The anti-spin works just as a conical gear limited does- it isn't a locker, but is better than an open differential. I have changed the gear oil once already and will continue to do so to avoid any warranty hassles if any present themselves in the future. I had ordered a gasket for the 11.5; however, this style gasket is more than capable of being reused a few times. So, I have one for a few years down the road.

As for the extended warranty... I rarely buy them. I did get one from Dodge for my truck however. I bought the truck with the intension of having it 13 years- my last one was an 87. I don't know how to do repair work on a diesel nor do I have the tools; I can do the regular maintenance though. If I get the three years after the extended has ended, like most of my vehicles, the truck and warranty will have more than payed for themselves. I am expecting the U-joints to start going about the time the extended kicks in. I suppose you could look at it like insurance for catastrophic breakdowns. For what I saved buying the truck at the end of the model year, speaking with countless salesman until I got the deal I wanted and paying for it in full at the time of sale, the money for the warranty wasn't an issue to me.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:33 AM

The 10.5 was EARLY 03 model 2500s etc.Long since changed and gone.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:06 PM

Ok, thanks again for the info folks! This is a gasser guy going into the soot realm and just about ready to bust out of my seams waiting for the down money to come down the pipe. Considering it's already mid-july, when do they start with the model year close-outs for the 2007 arrivals? should I wait until beginning of august?

I am probably going to get a extended if I can't find a G56 - if I can then I don't see much point in it. Especially if things like the diesel in crankcase oil wouldn't be just a warranty thing would it? Either way the should fix it regardless? Yea, Nay? I am used to buying brand new vehicles - usually I have been buying used and those are other peoples headaches, those necessitate an extended warranty.

John

Quick Reply: 11.50 Probs require a extendeded warranty? Are they worth it or not?