3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

06' 0341 code for 6 months now

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' 0341 code for 6 months now....Camshaft?

O.K. this started back in July 08'. Going down highway - engine light comes on. Plug in BullyDog get 0341 camshaft positioner. Cool - take it to dealership to replace. Get it out still does it. After replacing several sensors, the wiring harness, and finally the computer, it still does it. Oh not to mention 21 full business days in the shop (not including the weekends). Went to another dealer in town. He said get it to me right away when it codes. Yesterday it codes. 0341 surprise surprise!! Head mechanic comes out and says its a camshaft. Aparently he has done 3 in the last while. Thrust washer on front of cam wears and boom shaft movement causing sensor to lose position. Parts ordered waiting to have work done. Anyone else have this happening to them or anyone they know?

Last edited by cdndd; 01-09-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: wording
Old 01-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Cool

Took the truck in to Dodge for a camshaft this morning. We'll see if that was the problem all this time.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 PM
JRD

Keep us posted as I have not heard of this anywhere. It will be interesting to see. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:36 AM

It will keep doing it, mine does it all the time witht the tst. It will come on for a few days then go out for a few and then right back on. they even say it will do it on the website, i can bet you its the bullydog doing it and it will continue to do it after new cam...
Old 01-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by DENVERDODGE04
It will keep doing it, mine does it all the time witht the tst. It will come on for a few days then go out for a few and then right back on. they even say it will do it on the website, i can bet you its the bullydog doing it and it will continue to do it after new cam...
I thought that too. But the last time it went in, I got new sensors, new wiring harness and new ECM. I did not chip it to rule out the BD specifically. Guess what? It did it not but a week later.
Are you saying the Programmer is taking out the thrust washer on the front of the camshaft denverdodge?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 PM

you know what man i thought tst had something about this on the site but i can't find it maybe i never saw it, this whole time i thought it was normal, but maybe not, now you got me worried about my own. BUT, it did never do this until the day after i put on the TST, was yours the same situation? Did it come on after tuner install?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by DENVERDODGE04
you know what man i thought tst had something about this on the site but i can't find it maybe i never saw it, this whole time i thought it was normal, but maybe not, now you got me worried about my own. BUT, it did never do this until the day after i put on the TST, was yours the same situation? Did it come on after tuner install?
No, mine had the BD in for 2 years before it started doing it. Then like I said new everything with no chip and still did it.
I picked up the truck tonight and it was the Cam/Thrust washer/External keeper. The keeper gets a groove wore into it from the cam play. No they did not let me take pics - I wish.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 PM

You're not alone! I have had this problem repetitivly on my truck, also. The fixed many of the items that you mentioned and more. It just came on today again for the first time in a while, but I just cleared the code with the Edge and went on with my life! I have hade it with and without the Edge, so who knows what it realy is? They finaly told me at the Dodge dealer that it just didn't mean anything and not to worry unless I could tell something was wrong. So that is what I am doing now. If you do find a real fix let us know!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by J-man
You're not alone! I have had this problem repetitivly on my truck, also. The fixed many of the items that you mentioned and more. It just came on today again for the first time in a while, but I just cleared the code with the Edge and went on with my life! I have hade it with and without the Edge, so who knows what it realy is? They finaly told me at the Dodge dealer that it just didn't mean anything and not to worry unless I could tell something was wrong. So that is what I am doing now. If you do find a real fix let us know!!
See that kind of thinking only works if you have a nice warrenty to back it up, i'm always freaking out about every little tick, or knock, ect..... It drives me nuts sometimes!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Smile

Well 1200 km (kilometers) on truck since new cam. No problems - no engine light. Will keep on updating as more time goes by & km's.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 PM

thats good, glad to hear that....
Old 02-04-2009, 07:36 PM

I've heard of something similar on this board...seemed it was some wires being rubbed down near the AC compressor, and no real problem like it was thought to be- tape wires up and you're fine. IIRC what happened is the wires rubbed bare and shared power with the camshaft sensor....or something close... Can't recall where I saw that info, though, or even if your results are indicative. Worth a look down near your compressor, maybe?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 PM

5500 Km - No Engine Light.

Truck got hit in intersection 1 month ago 7000.00 Damage - Not my fault thank God!
Put A Jesus bumper on it. If I hit you you will see Jesus. LOL.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:12 PM

does anyone know if this would be covered by the 100,000 mile cummins waranty?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it should be! Did you get hit in the frunt end??

Quick Reply: 06' 0341 code for 6 months now