3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

04.5+ injection events

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04.5+ injection events

is is possible to turn off injection events on the 325 motors so it doesnt have the pilot-main-post injection events so it acts more like an older motor? just an experiment to get better MPG, EGTs, and injector life.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not try it!!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 PM

I believe all this has been tried by Marco during development of the Smarty.

I remember reading in a thread that it was found that the post injection event does provide a benefit to a certain extent. I'm certain Marco modified the Smarty to take full advantage of it.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 PM

i understood the post injection event added a bit of HP but also added alot of extra heat. im sure marco looked at it and for whatever reason decided he didnt want to go that way, prolly because it limited power output and just used timing to control heat. im thinking for reliability reasons the injector would last much longer not being put threw the extra heat and stress of 3 injection events. my 2nd gen had 190K on the stock injectors and now i have a 05 with 103k that needs new injectors... for the second time. im thinking the limited lifetime of these injectors is not only caused by high rail pressures and poor factory filtration but also by working much harder then earlier injectors, even the early 235/305 engines. im assuming that if you cant turn off the injection events with the smarty in anyway there is prolly no programmer that can. i would just be one of those people willing to try something different. im not looking for a HP monster just reliability and towing power.

the VP44 injection pumps was one of the most advanced injection pumps doing all the electronic, mechanical, and injection work and we all know about their tendency to go south easily
Old 08-09-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MDLP412
i understood the post injection event added a bit of HP but also added alot of extra heat. im sure marco looked at it and for whatever reason decided he didnt want to go that way, prolly because it limited power output and just used timing to control heat. im thinking for reliability reasons the injector would last much longer not being put threw the extra heat and stress of 3 injection events. my 2nd gen had 190K on the stock injectors and now i have a 05 with 103k that needs new injectors... for the second time. im thinking the limited lifetime of these injectors is not only caused by high rail pressures and poor factory filtration but also by working much harder then earlier injectors, even the early 235/305 engines. im assuming that if you cant turn off the injection events with the smarty in anyway there is prolly no programmer that can. i would just be one of those people willing to try something different. im not looking for a HP monster just reliability and towing power.

the VP44 injection pumps was one of the most advanced injection pumps doing all the electronic, mechanical, and injection work and we all know about their tendency to go south easily
The VP44 itself is a reliable injection pump when the fuel pressure to it is properly monitored. For the record, it was the Carter lift pump dieing and in turn not supplying enough fuel pressure to the VP44 which caused them to go out prematurely.

What kind of fuel filtration have you been running on your 05?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it takes way to long to explain. but to make a very long story short your truck has a in cylinder egr system to meet epa requirements. to get rid of it and get your mpg back is about $3,000 but very well worth it. get a smarty jr , pdr cam and ddp 50 hp injector nozzles
Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by carl48
it takes way to long to explain. but to make a very long story short your truck has a in cylinder egr system to meet epa requirements. to get rid of it and get your mpg back is about $3,000 but very well worth it. get a smarty jr , pdr cam and ddp 50 hp injector nozzles
i would love to hear the explaination if you want to send me a PM. and also how the mods you listed help. i can make a educated guess and i believe i know but just to make sure please explain. As far as the filtration the injectors were once replaced by the prev. owner and now need it again, i have a W/S 2 mic filter in my list of stuff to do but being outta work for 3 weeks with mono kinda screwed me and i know a few ppl that run VP44 trucks that have good fuel systems and still had VP pumps go bad, 2 in my area. 1 with a 150/150 FASS and the other with a homebrewed walbro setup.

im also not just looking to get rid of a in cylinder EGR but also try to reduce the load on the injectors.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 92'1stGen
The VP44 itself is a reliable injection pump when the fuel pressure to it is properly monitored.
Wasn't just fuel pressure although that helped considerably. Filtration had to be much better than stock or it was only a matter of time. Then the electronics were another concern. The VP-44 has 3 strikes against in the the Dodge configuration and it just wasn't that reliable when compared to the P7100 or VE.

That was stock, when you started push the fuel and making the power they really got touchy. The internals just could not handle the duty cycle demanded to make power and th eelectronics tended to die with a higher duty cycle also.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MDLP412
im also not just looking to get rid of a in cylinder EGR but also try to reduce the load on the injectors.
The problem is those two goals are almost mutually exclusive given what a HPCR system is intended to do. Also, way different ways to accomplish each goal.

The emissions stuff requires a cam change and thats about it. Reducing the load on the injectors is much more involved and is borderline illegal.

You could go back to a single or double event, but, just from an injection perspective those events need to compensate if you want to keep the power. The whole system is built around the injection pressures and duration is only one factor that can't change too much or your back to less HP.

Getting away from the programmed events for the year of truck is violating the emissions requirements that technically an owner is obligated to maintain. It takes some pretty sophisticated equipment and programming that is just not available. The individuals and companies that are capable of doing that are not risking federal charges to provide it.

Better mpg can be obtained with a cam change, injector tip change, and the use of a programmer to tune the timing and duration. For injector life your best bet is simply better fuel, better filtration, and additives to replace the lube lost in the ULSD fuel.

Everything is relative to cost and ROI. For most, the payback period is greater then the intended term of use. Others that run a lot of miles find it beneficial.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:15 PM

i would love to go back to a single injection event and increase the amount injected but im not gonna be that **** about it, if the equipment is not availiable aftermarket then im just SOL, if a cam is going to help the heat in the cylinder then ill just move it up my list of things to do before i start towing heavy all the time. the injectors on my list are F1 flux mileage max, for the 04.5-07 is says it injects a small amount more then stock which i think would be perfect for me and ive heard good things on F1 quality. and th fuel filtration/quality is almost at the top of my list so i guess ill just do those things and see how the truck preforms.ill figure out the reliability 100k miles from now. "no 6 oh no" i assume you saw the same kinda connection between the CR injectors and VP pump that i did. i was unaware about the in cylinder EGR system the CR used and i can see where the extra heat comes from now. i have an idea about what i need to do to get to where i wanna be with the truck.

cant imagine how crazy the engine builder will think i am when i go looking for a stroker motor.....
Old 08-10-2009, 05:48 PM

What acomplished the the quietness on the common rail motors? was it timing, injectors, high pressue, or a combination.
u'd think an 03 or o4 would sound different than an 05 or 06, but i dont think they do from what i noticed?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 05 Ram 3500 SRW
What acomplished the the quietness on the common rail motors? was it timing, injectors, high pressue, or a combination.
u'd think an 03 or o4 would sound different than an 05 or 06, but i dont think they do from what i noticed?
i think most of it is from the CR injection system along with a suposedly stouter bottom end (less vibration maybe?) i think the valves are a little quieter to.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05 Ram 3500 SRW
Pilot injection, redesigned and heavier block skirt, redesigned tappet cover, redeisgned piston bowl, injector spray pattern.

All the CR's had the pilot injection which largely reduced the rattle noticeable in the older ones. The better materials used in the tappet cover and block materials also helped dampen the noise.

A fair amoutn of NVH engineering went into the CR motors.