3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

03 ran fine, now wont fire back up

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 ran fine, now wont fire back up

got a 03 cummins 6 speed, just went from a superchip to a bullydog about 2 weeks ago, lastnight it was running fine but didnt seem like the programmer wasnt working, not really loss of power. plugged the bullydog/crazy larry in and went to check the power level and then just backed out of it and unplugged it. pulled in the parking lot and shut it off. went to fire it back to see if it was working now and just turns over and over but wont fire. turns over just fine, i have CAT batteries. lift pump is running fine. i removed every programmer i have. the bully dog is completly off, i had the superchip not tuned but just for speedo. even removed that. and a egde tow and go that just plugs into a couple sensors. removed that and still wont fire. went this morning and shot some startin fluid in the filter to just get it home and ran just as fine. little slow from no chip but ran just fine. no white or any smoke. no fuel in the oil. good oil pressure. no leaks ive noticed. i even opened the drain and cycled the key and poured out fuel really good so the lift pump is pumping good. dont thinks its injectors, all stock and like i said no smoke or fuel in oil. always been a little noisy since i bought it in january. thinking maybe injection pump but wont it just be bad? or will the higher rpm make it pump enough to get going? any help asap would be very appreciated! either reply or you can call me at 941-779-5938. i live in bradenton,fl silver dually on semi's always blacking out the road. lol thank you --joe
Old 08-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Did you check for codes?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t224833.html
Old 08-28-2010, 01:46 PM

no codes, havent cycled it 3 times like ive heard but ill do it right now but no didnt throw any light.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:50 PM

i cycled it and now checked it and a p 0251 i think it was. said injection metering control. last night i did disconnect the plug to the selenoid to the injection pump tryin to jump power hoping it was just the computer tellin git not to start.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:05 PM

yea said p0251 injection pump metering control a. not sure if that was from me unhooking it or jumping it, now i cleared it still wont start and turned it over and over a few times and then cycled it 3 times and no code now.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Did you hook the FCA back up good?

Man, those bully dogs are known for messing up ECM's...

Try unhooking the batteries for 20 minutes, ground out the system by pushing the brake, and then hook them back up and try to start it.
went this morning and shot some startin fluid in the filter to just get it home and ran just as fine.
I missed this the first time because of your super long paragraph... This is usually the sign of a bad injector, maybe a rail pressure sensor.

Check your oil level. If it is high and thin, you have an injector hanging open.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:32 PM

i unhooked it for about 10 min lastnight. like i said there is no fuel in the oil. i had a 03 dmax with bad injectors and went through all that and was doing the same thing so i knew what to look for. but no signs of injectors. oil is still thick and no smell what so ever.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 PM

also the truck was a stolen recovery, i bought it from a guy in texas who put it back together, pretty sure he said motor was i think 06 but he might of been wrong, i know the newer ones have the drive by wire and my motor has a brand new housing where the throttle cable hooks up, as if they converted it to the cable but not sure. (someone stole the motor and dumped the truck so he bought another that was rolled at auction and put it together)
Old 08-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Do you have a rail pressure gauge to see what the cranking rail pressure is?

A scan tool will do this if you don't have a gauge.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:49 PM

i have a actron auto scanner plus scan tool, i'll try to figure it all out. the oil level a slightly high but there is no fuel smell what so ever at all. i remember my dmax when it happened and there is no smell and its thick and the oil pressure is good and high. when my dmax was bad within drivin it for a hour the oil pressure was low and at idle it the light came on. mine is good even at an idle. i think i just put a little lucas on top of the amount of oil when i changed it last so thats probably it. i'll go try to fine the fuel pressure in it. im guessing i need to crank it over while reading it but right now i have the batterys undone to try 20 minutes. im still getting used to this scanner, usually had dmax so im used to my buddys tech 2. but no pressure gauge. if the rail pressure sensor is bad will it not start but once fires up with ether will is run? the edge tow and go plugged into that sensor and the map sensor. but looks like its cheaper to buy the whole fuel rail with sensor and valve then buyin just the sensor.

http://hoeslidiesel.com/store/page13.html
Old 08-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Yes, a bad rail pressure sensor can cause a no crank.

I'll look and see if I can find the trouble shooting steps in my manual...
Old 08-28-2010, 03:45 PM

well my actron doesnt give me an option to view rail pressure, gives me everything else pretty much, and my superchip gives me load, eng temp, intake man pressure rpm intake air tem and throttle position. no rail pressure. so i fired it up again on ether, when i rev it up it puffs black smoke and no chip on it now, and when i rev it up high it hangs for a second then like sputters when it starts to come down, and now i noticed(unless its left over ether in my filter) if i stay on the key for like 7-8 seconds it fires up. i was just letting off after like 3-4 before because my truck always fires up first crank and like i said i got cattipilar batteries so it turns over so fast it should fire with bad injector. but i think it might be an injector now since i just put that bullydog/crazy larry on it within a week or two and now this. think i cracked one but still no fuel in the oil or any other sign, no white smoke just black when revving. dont see any at an idle but exhaust is a lil smelly.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

That really sounds like an injector. It does not have to be leaking, just stuck open so that you don't build enough rail pressure to fire.

It's got something to do with rail pressure...
Old 08-28-2010, 04:45 PM

well thats what im afraid of, was kinda hoping more of a injection pump, cheaper then a set of injectors, i just spent my money on a set of custom cut alcoas and dont have the money for injectors now until i can sell my old standard alcoa conversion. anybody want some semi wheels with adapters and everything for dodge or chevy? lol $3000

Name:  0528001343.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  109.7 KB
Old 08-29-2010, 02:33 PM

well now i tryed installing my superchip back on it and took it out lastnight, it will not accept the tune. it downloaded just fine and says its tuned but when i drive it its not on there. still no fuel in oil, exhaust doesnt smell strong either, im starting to think that the ecm might of been messed up. and there is one for a 03 and a manual trans for $350. is that good for an ecm and im thinking at least if that doenst fix my problem at least i can resell it.

Quick Reply: 03 ran fine, now wont fire back up