3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

03' Cummins Crank Case Fumes How much longer

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:03' Cummins Crank Case Fumes How much longer

Hmmmm....
Thats about where I saw the little bit of smoke coming from...like the oil is dripping from the breather onto the block.....Interesting

Im going using Delo 400 now.....with free labor from the dealer ;D

Ill give an update after Im done with the dealer monday [undecided]
Old 06-30-2003, 10:10 AM

Everytime I change the oil I get the smell for 500 - 1000 miles. It's the new oil in the crankcase burning off some sort of additives or something and the smell comes through the crankcase vent. Extending the vent tube will alleviate the problem somewhat. This is, of course, assuming you don't have another problem.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:04 PM

Well.....done with the dealer today
I was with the mechanic underneath and showed them where the oil was that I saw.....

Luckily it wasnt a main seal....instead its the crankcase vent...
where the vent is placed it forward of the bellhousing and right next too the oil pan
I guess with fresh oil changes, on a new engine, especially when its completely too the top of the safe mark.....there is alot of blow by...so going down the road the blowby is like pissing in the wind

Anyways I almost wish something was wrong too be fixed, but Im going too fashion a catch bottle too try and aleviate this annoyance...there isnt one on the 03's
Old 06-30-2003, 02:23 PM

A little something I found out at www.cummins.com that may help eleviate this annoyance<br>
FLEETGUARD RELEASES ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY ENVIROGUARD CRANKCASE VENTILATION SYSTEM<br><br>For Immediate Release<br><br>Nashville, TN - 26 Jun 2003 <br><br><br>NASHVILLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 26, 2003--Fleetguard Inc. is introducing a new line of products designed to address diesel crankcase emissions. <br><br>The new line, called Enviroguard(TM), uses patented technologies to control oil drip and filter crankcase aerosols in diesel engine applications. The new Enviroguard(TM) system engine performance requires no service, and is designed to last the life of the engine. <br><br>The patented technology in all Enviroguard(TM) systems provides superior aerosol filtering of crankcase emissions, commonly known as blowby. Blowby is the result of high pressure gases and oils escaping around piston rings and venting to the atmosphere. <br><br>The oily mist attracts dust and airborne particles, resulting in an accumulation of contaminants, both on the engine and on the surface beneath it. This condition increases the clean-up required in the engine compartment and results in unsightly oil drips on highways, parking lots, garage floors and driveways. <br><br>The Enviroguard(TM) system is six times more efficient than conventional wire mesh breather systems in filtering aerosol emissions. The system captures, separates and coalesces air particulates in the blowby emissions and returns the oil to the crankcase with filtered gases vented to the atmosphere. <br><br>During 500,000 miles of operation, oil drip from a wire mesh breather system can result in as much as two quarts of oil being lost. The Enviroguard(TM) system reduces oil drip to less than six tablespoons. <br><br>The initial Enviroguard(TM) system is designed for all Cummins ISB, ISC and ISL series engine applications. Primary applications are recreational vehicles, fire trucks and buses. Future systems will be introduced to cover most diesel engine applications
<br> 8)<br>