3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

03' Cummins Crank Case Fumes How much longer

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' Cummins Crank Case Fumes How much longer

&gt;<br>How much longer do I have to smell the Crank case fumes, I have 1800 Miles on my truck, I smell crank case fumes.<br><br>03' Quad cab 5.9 HO, 48re, Short Bed.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:12 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Re:03' Cummins Crank Case Fumes How much longer

Doubt if it is crankcase fumes. Check the other threads on this subject. The stink on mine did not totaly go away until close about 3000 miles. Every time I change the oil it comes back for a short while. It appears to be normal.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:06 PM

Mine went away at around 2000 miles. <br><br><br>&quot;I love the smell of diesel fumes in the morning!!&quot;
Old 06-24-2003, 03:28 PM

just hit 2000 miles, and i haven`t had the smell for a short while<br><br><br>just my $0.02
Old 06-24-2003, 03:38 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. I miss it. :'(
Old 06-24-2003, 03:47 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Hoss, just take a teaspoonful of your engine oil and drip it on a few places on the engine. Then you can enjoy and prolong the smell for a while.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:38 PM

Awsome that means I am just about there, Hopefully this Hot Utah weather will do it, Then buy the end of the Month I will be towing a Trialer to Flaming Gorge Ut, Doing some camping, Hopefully with out the Crank Case Smell.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:54 PM

I just got my oil changed...the smell was bad....my wife complained about it...and it came right through the ventilation harshly....I wonder if its the type of oil the deaer uses that is causing the problem

ive got to go too Salt Lake in a week.....I hope it goes away...fast
Mindya it WASNT there before I had the oil changed
Old 06-24-2003, 06:18 PM

I must be missing something. I have never had any oil smells. Got 8K miles now and never smelled anything. Well, thats not entirely true. I've smelled a few bad things, just not in the truck!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:23 AM

If you want to get rid of the smell you will have to add some more hose to your crankcase vent and extend it back farther.I did it to mine and got rid of it.I know a lot of the fellows on the TDR have done it especially the 98 on.Dem engineers came out with a better idea than what they had before but its still not quite right.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:59 AM

I noticed mine immediately when I got the new truck. The funny thing was that I was making excuses for it to my wife so she wouldn't think my truck was broke and she said &quot;I don't even smell anything&quot;. Now that's a good woman!! <br><br>&quot;I love the smell of diesel in rush hour traffic!!&quot;
Old 06-27-2003, 10:21 AM

Update on the smell....<br>I crawled undermeath the truck yesterday and found oil leaking AROUND the bell housing, also upon further inspection I saw a little smoke from hot oil on the passenger side (Back) of the engine<br><br>I may have a blown rear main seal :'(<br><br>I have an appointment monday too get it worked on [undecided]
Old 06-27-2003, 10:46 AM

I looked under mine as well On the Bell Housing I see some oil there, does that mean I have rear main seal broken as well ? also If Dodge has you Truck more than a Day do they provide you with a rental car ? I am new to the Dodge family. I know that when I had my GM truck and they had it for longer then a day they would provide you with a rental or something.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:15 PM

[quote author=routerguy99 link=board=20;threadid=16288;start=0#154077 date=1056728808]
I looked under mine as well On the Bell Housing I see some oil there, does that mean I have rear main seal broken as well ? also If Dodge has you Truck more than a Day do they provide you with a rental car ? I am new to the Dodge family. I know that when I had my GM truck and they had it for longer then a day they would provide you with a rental or something.
[/quote]im a N00b too Dodge trucks too, but the leak being the main seal hasnt been confirmed yet...It may also be the crankcase vent dripping down, the problem is I dont know where the vent is on this engine too try and make that determination [undecided]

Most dealers will provide a rental if they have too keep it for more than a day.....some are pretty liberal with th rentals, some (like mine) are not, unless you have their extended warranty

Welcome too the family ;D
Just like a kid, these truck love the TLC
Old 06-28-2003, 11:19 PM

When I picked my truck up it had that smell to :P I think they put shell oil in these trucks cause it smelled for awhile 1st oil change i went with mobil delvac. It don't smell , some like the smell some don't and I don't plus I get my oil changed for like $30 dollars thats counting the oil , only because my wife works at a Petro Tire and Lube plus I got 6 oil filters which they use Fleetguard filters for $60. Not a bad deal when you know people. ;D I got way off the subject here when I was under mine the breather hose is on the right side by the front axle above the axle.If memory doesn't fail me hope that helps.

Quick Reply: 03' Cummins Crank Case Fumes How much longer