3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

***Please Help! Want to buy truck and have some questions!!***

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***Please Help! Want to buy truck and have some questions!!***

Hello all.
I'm new to DTR.
I have been looking into diesel trucks pretty heavily for the last few weeks. I am going to need something to tow roughly 15k about 1-2 times a month. It will be in the neighborhood of 48'-53' and will be a gooseneck.
I would like to get something still under warranty with roughly 40-50k miles on it at the most.
It seems the 2004 Dodge quad cab diesel LB DRW truck might be the best deal for me. I would like to spend around 25k or so on the truck.

I wanted to get opinions from you dodge owners on what I should get though. I have been looking at the auto and 6spd trucks. Price is roughly the same and I really don't care about either as long as I get the more reliable one. It would be nice not needing to shift, but if the 6spd is a better tranny for big loads, then I would go that route.

Also, from some research on here, it seems there is an 04 and 04.5 and the difference in power is pretty substantial. How do I ensure that I get the 04.5? Is there an easy way to tell like a "manufactured after a certain date" type of thing? This would most likely need to be something I can ask over the phone when speaking with someone.

Basically, I'm just curious about what all of you think of my thoughts so far and what you would suggest I do. Is there anything any of you suggest I look out for?
I'm pretty mechanically inclined and know a thing or 2 about cars/trucks so I can look out for something if ya'll warn me about it first. My knowledge of diesels is fairly limited as I've not owned one as of yet.

Thanks in advance for any help you might give and taking the time to read this!

Jeremy
Old 05-13-2007, 02:52 AM

Just a couple of thoughts others will probably have more indepth comments but I would get the manual even though only towing that load twice a month. More reliable and better control with 6 speed gears of a troublesome 4 speed. That's a no brainer the way I see it.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree with that, however, there is nothing wrong with the auto. The 6 speed just lets you control your shift points/engine speed better. As for the 04.5, look under the truck, if it has a cat, then it is an 04.5. Look at the date of manufacture, if it was after January of 04, it's an 04.5. Last, look at the engine id tag on the drivers side of the engine, just below the valve cover, if it says 325 hp/600 ft lbs of tq, then it is an 04.5.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

as for it being under warranty, you gotta buy that at 36 k, the factory only comes with a 36 tho warranty, unless you shell out for the extended.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Banned

do the 05s have a 7/70? and a new 06 could probably be had for around 31-33k i would imagine if you could find it

brett
Old 05-13-2007, 10:32 AM

Before you buy one take it on the freeway preferably with a load and make sure it has no vibrations or drones.I have an 2005 and when empty you can't hardly notice a drone at 60 mph but as soon as you have a load the thing drones like crazy.Check my post <Truck droning>
Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prkiller Welcome to the DTR!!!!
They have all given you good advise. Now you need to figure what's right for you. The auto's have had problems but the 48re is better and with a few upgrades VB & TC they will work great.
If you ever plan on putting on and exhaust brake the 6speed is the better choice. I just don't like rowing through 6 gears, or just use 2,4 & 6.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks all for the advice so far.
Is the "drone" something I should be "that" worried about? I would love to stay in my area to pick one of the trucks up so hooking a load up would be possible, but chances are I may be driving more than a few hours away to pick up a truck that fits my needs.

For the warranty part, I'm really only worried about getting one that still has a motor/powertrain warranty. That is the expensive part at least to me.

Does anyone happen to know the warranty's on specific year models? Like Rusty asked, do 05's come with a better warranty that 04's?
I guess I was under the assumption that they came with the 7/100k powertrain warranty.
Is there a "certified" truck that does?

So, from what ya'll are saying the 6sp is the better choice and that is what I will focus on then.
Does anyone know how an exhaust brake effects the warranty? It sure would be nice to have. Same with power programs, I would assume the dealer frowns upon them to still keep you under warranty.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 PM

How dealers look at upgrades is a case by case thing. I wouldn;t think an exhaust brake would be a big deal as some of them are actually dealer installed but you can never be sure there. On the warranty thing seems like you'd be hard pressed to find a 4.5 with any 3/36 still left on it. Maybe you could get one with an extended warranty but there again you need to check and find out if that would be transferable. I don't think they are but i could be wrong. If you can't get a warranty I wouldn't worry about it because for the most part these trucks are reliable if you keep them close to stock. I certainly wouldn't go out and buy a warranty I've always belived they are nothing more than a salesman gimmick. Like was said if you are really concerned about having a warranty it might do you some good to think about finding a used '06 for only about 5 grand or so more than what you'd planned on spending you could probably get one. But then you come dangerously close to being able to justify a new truck
Old 05-13-2007, 05:02 PM

If i were you i would tow or haul something in it.My problem didn't arise till under load.And my 2005 has the longer warranty 3 years bumper to bumper then the 7 year.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK warranty questions:

04 Don't know
04.5 most if not all had 3/36 bumper to bumper - 7/70 on drivetrain and 7/100 K Cummins engine
05 I think was the same as 04.5
06 and 07 went with 3/36 bumper to bumper - 5/100k Cummins

All of the warranties did require a fee for transfering and think they had to be transfered withing 30 days of aquiring vehicle.

Just traded my 04.5 so very sure of that one and just bought an 07 so again sure of that one. The 7/70 carried a $100 copay. The Cummins one gets a little difficult, although 100 K it is broken down to 5/100k no deductable. 7/100K the additional 2 years now cost $100 deductable.

Pretty sure the 05's were same as the 04.5. Best way to tell is to have the dealer run the vin and advise you of avail warranty. If he wants to sell you the truck he should be willing to get that info for you, if not maybe go to another dealer that will and as always get it in writing from them.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 AM

Man, these trucks don't seem to loose value that quickly!
It's seems pretty hard to find one in my price range with the specs I want.

Seems as though I would do better with a brand new 07 from and ebay auction that already has the invoice price minus rebate and holdback!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd recommmend thev auto. 4.5 will have a cat. 4.0 wont. Both have pleanty of power.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 AM

Also, the warranty can only be transferred to the 2nd owner, not the third etc. etc.

I went most of the way down the road with a dealer here in Minnesota telling me that the 7 / 70 would transfer only to find out at the last minute the truck already had 2 owners so it would not. I pressed the dealer on the warranty the whole way through and they assured me that it would transfer. They would have let me drive off the lot without a 7 / 70 if I hadn't caught it through my own digging. SOB's!

Last edited by Off Trail; 05-16-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-16-2007, 02:11 PM

Go 6 speed. I didnt listen this time and went auto. I pull around the same weight you do and my truck want pull it. Everyone tells you that you can upgrade the 48 re and thats true but why do that and it will void your warrenty. The tranny stock will not do the job.