2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

your opinion, Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 12:30 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Re:your opinion, Batteries

I was at COSTCO and they have Optima batteries! Red Yellow and Blue! And their usual Kirkland brand. I do have a question though......I was wondering if the stock batteries in these trucks are "deep cell" batteries. I had been looking for batteries for my camp trailer and all deep cells listed the Amp's per hour, RC or reserve usage time and cold cranking amps. Regular batteries dont list all those, but the batteries under my hood has this info. Would Dodge use deep cell batteries because of they drain the heater grids have on the charging system? Just wondering.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, thanks for the input. I would like to keep this going. I was looking on Optima's web site. I was thinking more on the yellow batteries for the truck. I also need 2 batteries for the camper ( there goes the tax money ) And I was thinking on the blue top. Any input to those? I will have to shop around though! Thanks again folks!<br><br>Kimrey
Old 03-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I just bought two Advance Auto Parts &quot;Titanium&quot; series (also by Johnson Controls) batteries for The Beast.<br>Starts great ;D <br>About 2/3 the price of Optimas, and more CCA.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:42 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

If your looking for your trailer batteries then you have to get deep cell batteries or they wont last very long. Blue top Optimas are deep cell.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dodge does not need real high CCA. I have used one single red top all winter. It does get a little slow after the grids, not plugged in below 20 or so. The yellow tops shoud be plenty in all temps. Both the yellow top and the blue top are deep cycle. The blue is speced for marine use and I doubt that it would make much difference in the truck over the yellow. Costs more though. I have been more than satisfied with the Optima and think it is the only way to go. On a long trip the acid in wet cells likes to bleed out over the fender and down the inner fender well. Really hurts the truck.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:10 PM

You only need the Optima's if you are off roading. Other wish look at Interstate.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:16 AM

I'm still running on the original, 100% maintenance free (sealed - no leak), deep cycle batteries, which are nearly 5 years old and 76,000 miles. ;D <br><br>When they are replaced they will be replaced with the same. <br><br>I check the cables and terminals every oil change for corrosion and make sure they are clean and shiny. If you haven't you should check them before laying out $100 +/- each. Many times batteries are replaced that don't need to be. Just because there is no white &quot;powder&quot; doesn't mean they are not corroded - pull the cable and clean them. I've never replaced batteries less than 5 years old - except my 6 volt tractor. Have to replace it every spring. <br><br>Just some thoughts - less than $0.02 worth......Stan
Old 03-10-2003, 08:13 PM

I done like dieseldude4x4 said. Except the left side was the one with the black eye. I swapted them around and everything seems fine now. Although the good batterie is leaking on the - post : I will keep an eye on the situation at hand. Thanks again for all the input.<br><br>Kimrey
Old 03-11-2003, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Which one do you mean by the &quot;left side&quot;? <br><br>The one on the passenger side went bad in this 99 truck, in my 95, and in two friends trucks here at work. Can't figure that out unless it is just because of the way they are wired in. One battery may see more load than the other or something but it goes bad and then drags the other one down with it.<br><br>If you just swaped them around, keep an eye on them since the one may be beyond use. It may overcharge or do funny things now that it is the &quot;lead&quot; battery. That leak you described may be a warning. I had one short out and boil over in my old 89 diesel. It scared me and I dodn't know what to do so I just walked away. I called an electrical friend that was up pretty much on lead acid batteries and he said enough lead had flaked off the plates to go to the bottom and short out two or more cells. It could explode at this point he told me so I left it alone for about three days and finally it stopped. I very carefully, and nervously, took it out from under the hood and set it out away from everything for about two months. These things are nothing to mess with so be careful.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:20 AM

Optima red tops are my choice. I bought them at Pep Boys. They are cheeper at Costco($99.00)
Old 03-11-2003, 03:39 PM

Be careful about that battery acid leaking especially if you have cruise contol or you'll be in my shoes. No cruisin for me and having to replace it. I changed my batteries a couple months ago and put the NAPA legends in mine. When I change them again I'm goin to look at the optima's
Old 03-11-2003, 04:57 PM

[quote author=Kimrey link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=15#114182 date=1047348820]<br>I done like dieseldude4x4 said. Except the left side was the one with the black eye. I swapted them around and everything seems fine now. Although the good batterie is leaking on the - post : I will keep an eye on the situation at hand. Thanks again for all the input.<br><br>Kimrey<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'd replace them now. We waited on the wifes car and she called me and said her car would not start. When I lifted the hood the battery had blown up. Big mess :-[
Old 03-11-2003, 05:52 PM

Ok now your scaring me It was the driver side that was bad, or the one that had the black eye. The right side was good but it has a small leak around the negative post. So small that if I cleaned it then 3 months later I would have some corrsion around the - post. This batterie has been doing this for a year.<br><br>I guess I just need to replace both and be done with it.<br><br>Kimrey
Old 03-12-2003, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Be safe and replace both. That way you know both are good and you are starting with a clean slate. One won't be fighting the other or anything like that.