2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

your opinion, Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your opinion, Batteries

What batteries have you all been successful with. Or which ones do you all like? Mine are on the way out! Had to jump it off tonight. Before I go out and buy I would like to see what you all think. What's wierd is I thought they would last longer than they have. I only have 60k on her and its 2 1/2 years old. All opinions will be appreciated. Spelling stinks :<br><br>Kimrey
Old 03-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Banned

Re:your opinion, Batteries

I'm still running my stock batteries. I've got 30,025 on my baby. You must start your's a lot. I leave my radio on for hours on end(up to 6 hours) with the truck off and I get back in and barely bump the key and it starts right up.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:42 PM

well if ya dont want to worry bout them anymore, id suggest optimas. either the red or yellows will more than do the job for u. i use a redtop in my jeep, runnin a winch really puts it through its paces and its never let me down so far.....<br><br>kinda pricey though
Old 03-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before getting new ones I'd have your charging system checked out.<br><br>If it's overcharging, it'll shorten the life of the batteries.<br><br>I've never had a battery last less than 5 years in any of my vehicles, even the stock ones.<br>(except one motorcycle that I had to replace each and every spring)<br><br>And when you replace them, make sure to replace both.<br>If you only replace the bad one, it'll shorten the life of the good one significantly.<br><br>phox
Old 03-07-2003, 06:13 PM

BigBlue. Well actually I usually drive at least 40 miles to a trip. So I don't think I start mine very much. Actually I try to avoid short trips. I drive the wifes Jeep for that. Where can I find the optimas. I think I have heard of them before. As far as over charging, it's always been around 14v. Although you know how these gauges can be. [undecided] I do know that one battery still has the green light and the other doesen't. I also know that those green light are about usless.

Kimrey
Old 03-07-2003, 07:01 PM

Optima red tops. The main reason I like them is that they don't burp acid all over the fenderwell (and wires, cruise control, hoses etc...).
Old 03-07-2003, 07:10 PM

Sounds good, but where is the best place, or place to buy optima batteries.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Administrator

You'll probably find that the right side battery is weak and it draws the left side down with it. My current truck did this last fall and my 95 did the same thing. Do a battery drop test on both of them individually and see if you have the same problem. I bought two new NAPA Legends and they work real well. $78 a piece I believe. The left side battery is still in my sons truck and works fine once you charge it back up.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:47 PM

ive gotten mine from pep boys, but i know pretty much any decent auto parts store is now starting to stock them. the online route might be a bit cheaper though, might want to search around i know sams offroad has them www.samsoffroad.com as well as 4 wheel parts wholesalers www.4wheelparts.com<br><br>as far as prices, ive seen them as low as 90, high as 170, depends on red, yellow, or blue top and where u buy them<br><br>hope some of that helps
Old 03-07-2003, 07:54 PM

Any Interstate battery dealer can get them in one day if not in stock.<br> Danny
Old 03-07-2003, 09:05 PM

I use the Wal-Mart batteries in my Truck. Everstart Batteries have a 3 year replacement and a 6 year pro rate! They are made by Johnson Controls, Same people that make The Sers Die-Hard Battery, And a lot of other batteries. Everstart's have been my truck for about a year with out any problems!
Old 03-07-2003, 09:21 PM

i went with AC/DELCO batteries...biggest i could get(i got a discount on em) i'm very happy with them.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Administrator

[quote author=Gear Poet link=board=5;threadid=11937;start=0#113101 date=1047093344]<br>I've read that the automotive battery industry has undergone a &quot;consolidation&quot; over the last ten years -- nearly all battery brands are now made by just two manufacturers -- I believe Exide and Johnson Controls. There are some available products from a few smaller manufacturers -- Optima for one GP<br>[/quote]<br><br>Optima's are made by Johnson Controls as well.<br><br>http://www.optimabatteries.com/<br><br>phox

Quick Reply: your opinion, Batteries