2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Wrecked 1997 3500,,,questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrecked 1997 3500,,,questions

Moved this question from the bottom of another thread I posted it on, it was getting "sandwiched" between "53" block questions....

I have found a 1997 3500 4x4 cummins 5speed, set up the way I want it. Only problem it had been wrecked and repaired. From what I can find out it was involved in a front end collision on the right front, must have been pretty close to totaled(I'm guessing), as it sat for about 22 months before someone bought it to fix it up. Salvage title was issued in Springfiled, Mo. I suspect someone sold it at the auction their, and it is now for sale in Kansas. The Truck only has 65K miles on it. I'm going to go look at it this Friday. I have an uncle who used to be a body repair man, so I know if the repairs are done "right", the end results are very acceptable. A few questions, anybody have any ideas as to what to look for? I know driving it will give some idea as to the conditon, if they had the frame straightened correctly, no problem to me. I'm just worried that it might have caused some damage to the motor, which might be undectable to the human eye, unless you know exactly where to look. Aside from it being a restored truck, are there anything on these '97's to pay particular attention to? Probably same as the '98's, the "KDP" problems, and possibly the "5th" gear error?
thanks,
coadman
Old 03-17-2005, 09:51 PM

well you now the stiory, it's a rebuild!! have fun. if the price is right , it could be a fun truck to ex. with
Old 03-17-2005, 10:13 PM

I bought mine wrecked! No regrets here, other then Cheap repaint job on the front!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:54 PM

Hey, guys, after driving this truck for about 15 miles, up and down streets, down old dirt roads, and out on the highway, I bought this truck! Seems pretty nice, but there are a few things I need to fix on it(I told the dealership I would fix them myself, and try and save a little dough). Here's a list of a few items I have noticed, and perhaps some of you can give me some ideas of how to fix, or check, or if I need to take it to some service center for repair. (1) drivers side electric window won't work, won't come down, so I suppose it won't go up, either, but the switch beside this one, which controls the passenger side window, will work that window, although you might have to jingle it a bit. The passenger side window control switch on passenger side door, works that window fine. I suspect the "switch" on the drivers side control is bad, can I replace this myself? Looks like the only problem I would have, is if I have to remove the door panel to do so, and Im not quite sure how that works. (2)Emergancy brake light will not go out. Emergancy brake works fine, but when its released, the light stays on. Is there an adjustment on the light switch on the emergancy break pedal, somewhere? (3) Fuel gauge showed 1/2 tank, we filled the tank up before we left town, and fuel gauge still shows 1/2 tank. Where do I start to troubleshoot and/or repair that problem? Hope you all can provide me a little assistance,it will be much appreciated!
thanks,
coadman

Forgot this one (4) Cruise control doesnt work. Also, this came with no manual, anybody know where I can find a manual for this truck?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to call a special manual replacement number and D.C will send you a manual. They are not very expensive, just a few dollars and they mail it to you if you have a Visa card. You can also order service manuals at the same time.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:25 PM

I bought my last 6 trucks at salvage auctions.

If there is not much damage it's not tought to have them fixed, even with little frame damage.

Many people is dead scared of the "Salvage Title". To me it makes no difference, if I see truck before fixing it.
Nowadays most insurance total vehicles for no apparent reason except high shop prices.
I had a 1997 Camaro with a dented rear fender, beautiful car with 70,000 miles, drove it for 2 years and sold it for twice what I bought it for ($ 1,400), it was salvaged.
My wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a dent under the right door, totaled, paid $ 1600, she runs like a top.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:29 PM

Can get OEM manuals from here-

https://techauthority.gltghosting.co...atalogId=10051
Old 03-21-2005, 02:40 PM

(1) drivers side electric window won't work, won't come down, so I suppose it won't go up, either, but the switch beside this one, which controls the passenger side window, will work that window, although you might have to jingle it a bit. The passenger side window control switch on passenger side door, works that window fine. I suspect the "switch" on the drivers side control is bad, can I replace this myself? Looks like the only problem I would have, is if I have to remove the door panel to do so, and Im not quite sure how that works. [/B]
Could be a bad connection, pinched/broken wire, bad switch, window motor, ......

Panel comes off fairly easily. 2 screws on the grab handle and the "christmas tree" pieces.

Forgot this one (4) Cruise control doesnt work.[/B]
The cruise servo is under the drivers side battery. It could be bad, the vacuum line could be damaged/gone.
I had to replace both on mine, for it to work. Batt. acid ate through it.

I'm in TX at the moment, so I don't have my FSM handy, to help with the other stuff.