2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

worn tie-rod end...luke's links?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
worn tie-rod end...luke's links?

i have been living with some slight steering wander for a couple years...turns out a mechanic friend of mine spotted the problem right away and pointed out the my rights outer tie rod needs replacing because the boot is broken and it has play....well....well the question is whats the deal with luke's links? ive heard lots of guys mention great things about em...is this the fix im looking for? i don't wanna replace an entire tie rod for over 100$ if i can just fix the link with something more solid

Drew
Old 01-30-2006, 04:47 PM

If it was the track bar I would get the lukeslink. But for the tie rod I would buy a new one. The price of the lukeslink plus the time to install it, I think you could buy a new tierod for the same money. JMO
FWIW I have lukeslink on my track bar for over 2 years still tight.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:02 PM

thanx shawn...im curious what actually wears out in that lik assembly on the tie rod where my rubber boot is cracked? i visited car quest today to have alook at the MOOG right outer tie rod (what i need) and didnt see where the failure could occur...its a ball inside the tie rod end with a steel stub ....it is just the rubber boot that cracked ...i don't quite understand why i should get anew tie rod if i can get tough aftermarket link...

i guess im just looking for some sort of peace of mind that the link would fix my problem if my rubber boot is cracked

ps what is the price of the links for those who have it? the MOOG tie rod at carquest was 135$ with a lifetime warranty
Old 01-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

The lukes link was $75 last time I checked.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Banned

The one thing I didn't like about the Lukes Links that I didn't realize until they showed up is that they use the stock bolts out of your current links. You have to use a grinder to get them out. I didn't like the fact that I was replacing the links and still using the same old worn bolt. As far as I know you can't just buy the new bolt cause they are pressed in to the normal links. If anybody does know where to get them I'd love to know where.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:31 AM

the bolt is still straight thought right?...i mean thats not the part that fails and bends or crakcs or something...im just curious ...cause if the tie rod bar is straight then it must be inside the joing where the failure occurs? i don't see why u couldnt reuse the joints...looks like the only reinforcer is the rubber boot....do u even need the rubber boot with the links?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

No boot needed, Just the bolt. The Lukes Links come with everything needed except the bolt.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:14 PM

FWIW, I'm running Luke's links on all of my tie-rod ends, with the exception of where the drag-link and the tie-rod come together. They work great, and its nice to know I'll never have to buy another tie-rod end again. I think the wear issue with tie-rod ends is in the plastic "cup" that the tapered bolt rides in, not the bolt itself (unless you really let it go for a loooong time). No to mention, if you replace the tie-rod end you'll need a front end alignment, and that adds another $60 to the equation. Just some food for thought.

MIke
Old 01-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mr T
i have been living with some slight steering wander for a couple years...turns out a mechanic friend of mine spotted the problem right away and pointed out the my rights outer tie rod needs replacing because the boot is broken and it has play....well....well the question is whats the deal with luke's links? ive heard lots of guys mention great things about em...is this the fix im looking for? i don't wanna replace an entire tie rod for over 100$ if i can just fix the link with something more solid

Drew
The LL will cost about $90 CDN......if you can get the replacement steering link for just over $100, I would not bother with the LL.....it is definitely a no brainer inexspensive solution when it is the difference between replacing the $340 track bar, though. I have a LL in the track bar on both trucks and they have worked well. If you are still set on the LL and don't want to mail order them, Turner Diesel in Georgetown stocks them.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:03 PM

thanks CTD NUT...if Turner has them then thats terrific...yeah i am starting to be pretty set on getting them ....then in the summer i'll get the steering stabilizer from solidsteel...i want TIGHT steering tight to the point where a girl would say it makes her tired.....but for now i have a truck that likes to go to the right by itself on the highway and the lukeslink would be a perfect solution

ps did u end up selling the green truck with the BD tc? i havent seen it in the autotrader in months!!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by mr T
ps did u end up selling the green truck with the BD tc? i havent seen it in the autotrader in months!!
Yeah, the old girl went to her new home a few weeks ago .....she went to a good home, though.

I miss the power already....

You have a PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
JKM

His green truck has been "sold" for a while, trust me , i tried to buy it but was too late, I even saw it in the auto trader down here

On a side note if/when i need tie rod ends or the like , i will be converting to the T style steering.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:48 PM

i just got an email reply from Turner and they replied...."we don't carry luke's links anymore..Any job worth doing is worth doing correctly and not just patching back together."...

what is that??....i still think its a quality looking piece....plus i can adjust for some preload
Old 02-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Chapter President

Ho hum I guess that is a good example why I don't bother with Turner anymore.....I just thought would mention it to you since it would have been a quick way to get a LL. Yes, the LL is a good product.....between the 2 trucks I have had 150,000km trouble free after the LL's were installed.

On another note, you guys inspired me to update my sig.....man, that 500 character maximum doesn't get you far, huh? I spent a good 15+ minutes trying to shave it down!!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM

i like the turner boys...i just think they won't use anything on the truck that may get them in trouble safetywise....i think by doing full tie rod replacements they cover themselves....if i was running a business i probably would do the same

Quick Reply: worn tie-rod end...luke's links?