2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Wonders of Auto Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Wonders of Auto Detailing

I was told to post a thread just on this topic as it relates to my job.
For individuals looking to buy a used vehicle from a private party or especially a dealership I just want to give you insight into detailing. I see the vehicles as they are traded in and know more about their condition than anyone else other than mechanics and the original owner. Soo...When you hear that the vehicle is very "clean" it DOES NOT always mean that the vehicle is clean. It was cleaned out very well and that may be it. I can turn a 10 year old truck or car that was destroyed to a nearly new showroom condition in roughly 3 hours. What i am trying to say is that simply b/c you see a very well cleaned car does not mean that the vehicle is in good condition. Some things to look for on a diesel truck are signs of a fifth wheel hitch. A truck used to pull a fifth wheel or regular trailer may have significantly more engine wear or tranny wear relative to one without the hitch. Look at the undercarriage, you can tell alot about where the truck has been driven by debris that is stuck to the bottom of the truck. A truck with significant interior wear has probably not been driven on the highway all to much due to the fact that when ur driving on the highway your not constantly getting in and out of the vehicle which causes the most interior damage(other than kids) Very significant interior wear on a diesel truck is more than likely due to the truck being a construction vehicle which are in the worst overall shape when we get them as trade-ins. Construction vehicles are mostly in-town trucks that carry heavy loads in constant stop and go traffic. Think about the engine, tranny, and chasis wear that will cause. Also a 4x4 truck in a place like colorado or in new england you will want to make sure there have not been hook ups for a snow plow. Just go with your instincts, if you think something is wrong with a truck, something probably is wrong with it. Look for tiny signs that show how the truck has been treated. Do not believe what a salesman tells you about a previous owner. They have no idea about the previous owners and will say anything to push a sale. They are paid on commission and lie like no other b/c most people believe them. If anyone else has anything to add that I may have missed please do! Also if you have any questions about this topic feel free to ask. Happy truck huntin!
Old 11-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good information for the uninformed!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:16 PM

thats great, good info
Old 11-01-2004, 10:29 PM

Before i left work today I was talkin with a few mechanics and they all agreed on this...pretty common sense too...The trucks that have the most engine/tranny wear are ones that have already been modified. More HP/TQ more engine and especially tranny wear. And to add to the construction vehicles-most of their trucks had stickers on them that had to be removed(it sucks doing it, trust me) but no matter what i cannot completly blend the paint to match. Stand far away in good sunlight and you can see if their has been sticker removal.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:50 AM

Construction trucks, I can agree... not driven by the owner, and certainly not cared for.

However... You're looking for a 3/4 or 1-ton truck... don't be afraid because it's been used LIKE A TRUCK! We're not talking about putting a plow on a Miata, folks.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.