2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

wiring issues on 96

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring issues on 96

Ok when i hook my bumper pull horse trailer on i only get the brake and turn signals. no running lights. when i hook my flatbed gooseneck to the inbed plug only half the running lights work and only one brake, turn light works. when both trailers are on my 04 everything works fine. also on my 96 the brake controller doesn't work at all. i have 4 wires comming out of the controller. i have a white one that is grounded, a brown one that is spliced into a harness and the othere two not sure the color but one goes to the battery and the other goes back to the trailer harnesses on the back of the truck. not on my 04 its a plug and play controller. on the 96 do i have to hard wire the controller or do they have one that i can just plug in? and with the light problems i was thinking about just splicing into the wires that go into the lights. what do yall think????

Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 PM

I had similar issues on my '95. The connections at the bumper hitch have a tendency for getting rusted and contacting each other inside the actual plug on the bumper. All sorts of funny things happened (trailer brake lights stayed on / no running lights etc). I replaced the whole thing with a mostly plug and play deal from a ranch supply store. I did have to hard wire my Tekonsha trailer brake contoller into both gooseneck plug and bumper plug. It involved running a blue (or red maybe?) all the way from the controller in the cab to the back of the truck. Kinda a pain, but I believe hard wiring the brake controller is the only way to do it.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by GoinAndABlowin
I had similar issues on my '95. The connections at the bumper hitch have a tendency for getting rusted and contacting each other inside the actual plug on the bumper. All sorts of funny things happened (trailer brake lights stayed on / no running lights etc). I replaced the whole thing with a mostly plug and play deal from a ranch supply store. I did have to hard wire my Tekonsha trailer brake contoller into both gooseneck plug and bumper plug. It involved running a blue (or red maybe?) all the way from the controller in the cab to the back of the truck. Kinda a pain, but I believe hard wiring the brake controller is the only way to do it.
Looks like i have myself a project for the weekend.

Thanks,
Eric